1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
  3. Quadra
  4. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. Other
I have a Dell Optiplex 750 that I'm converting to Snow Leopard.
I've got it installed, I got sound and network working, but I can't get the ATI HD 2400 XT card that comes with it to give me anything other than the generic 1020 x 768.

I've tried using the EFI string method discribed http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2009/12/ ... ation.html to no avail.

I'm not really knowledgeable enough to do the more in depth methods that from my understanding are likely to break with a system update. I want to get the system moving then get on with my life, you know :)

So i'm looking at the parts wiki and found this:

ASUS GeForce 8400GS 512MB Silent Yes Working out of the box - 10.6 - doing more tests later

This sounds, if I'm reading it right, that I should be able to plug this in and go. The card is at a decent price point for buying vs futzing around with more coding*.

Does anyone have any actual experience with this card? A forum search has it mentioned in passing in a few threads, that sound good.

(*I'm scrambling to try to get a AGP video card flashed to get my G5 tower running, so I kinda want one less headache in the mac world)

HI, IF YOU NOT A GAMER THEN GO FOR 8400GS GOOD CARD :thumbup:

OSX SUPPORT OUT OF THE BOX 10.6 TO 10.6.6 :D

I'd at best consider myself a light gamer. Usually older games, currently run on a MacBook Pro. (I've been playing Lego Batman for the past year or so, just every so often, so it's not a huge thing with me).

If I understand what I've read, I should be able to drive 2 monitors. Is that right?

Thanks for the reply.

i had no problem getting this card to work for DVI but i could never get it to work with dual inputs. performance is fine for non-graphical stuff, but if you use any graphical apps its a little weak.

also something i've noticed from recent threads, it seems like there is a new gen of this card because last year these things worked no problem and lately a lot of folks have been posting questions about it not working, so keep that in mind if you run into a lot of problems...

minhi said:
i had no problem getting this card to work for DVI but i could never get it to work with dual inputs. performance is fine for non-graphical stuff, but if you use any graphical apps its a little weak.

also something i've noticed from recent threads, it seems like there is a new gen of this card because last year these things worked no problem and lately a lot of folks have been posting questions about it not working, so keep that in mind if you run into a lot of problems...
The GeForce 8400GS card gave me problems with 2 different Gigabyte mb. Although installation was ok, I was not able to get screen savers to work properly. As others have noted, there appear to be slight but relevant differences in the boards between manufacturers, so one should be cautious. "Some display boards are more equal than others".

This whole thing is maddening. All the different vendors with claims of the same product...every time I deal with this it makes me agree that Apple's right in controlling all the hardware...argh.

I think I'll forge ahead and get the Asus card and hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back