• EKWB ZMT tube 16/10
  • EKWB Fittings
  • Aquaero 6 Pro
  • Aquacomputer High Flow Meter
  • Noctua 140mm Industrial Fans x 2
  • Noctua slim 92mm fans x 2
  • Noctua chromax 120mm fan
  • 20 inch Apple Cinema Display (DVI)

My first build was ok. I'd purchased an Aquacomputer Aquareo and some fans that I was going to add, but then I won a gleam.io contest and transferred all of my parts into this coolermaster Masterbox 520.

Since then I'd bought a car, had another kid, got a new job, moved 700 miles with my family. The new job has an electronics surplus department and I found this guy for $25.

it was a watercooled version, 2005 dual 2.5 ghz. one of the last powerpcs

So My goals here were to make this retain the original look. Having G5 heatsink shield, plastic cover and fans, I thought, would accomplish that the best. I wanted it to be watercooled, but the D5 pump is so quiet, so using the apple DDC pumps is out for now. I may build a dual pump system after I rebuild them. I wanted to have to purchase minimal parts and use what I already had.

Adding the laser hive stuff I already had

The last time around I discovered cutting the metal shelves long and folding them over made a cleaner edge. I used this idea through out, here cutting the hole for the PSU

I used my first g5 case's front panel as a doner for the wire management plate. I made copious mockups from card stock and then project board because i wanted to make it fit perfect.

I had purchased the 2x140 EK radiator and 2xNoctua Industrial Fans for my old G5 but never got around to putting them in. I am hopping they will cool my components enough. The fans have a static pressure of 10,52 mm H₂O, which I think is the highest Noctua makes. Not sure I'm going to get that If I'm trying for a quiet system though. I have seen recommendations to use a Hardware labs radiator. I had to order the laserhive fan mount bracket.

more to come

Cable management in these is the biggest hurdle. My first custom sleeved cable. that is a ton of work

I used template for drilling the cable mounts

pretty happy with it in the end. i had to buy a PSU tester because It was my first run on custom cables, everything is working as expected.

Nice job on your G5 mod sir!. Your cable management is really tidy, looks like it was a lot of work. When it comes round to building a better Hackintosh for my G5 case, I’ll be referring to your posts. Thanks for sharing.

Getting toward the end, I did a lot of fitting to make sure it was all going to come together right. I'm not sure I am going to add the plat on top there in this following picture. The middle shelf sits on a pci bracket I had that was for a USB-pci card. the card went in my htpc in it's half width config so I had the full width in a box

the bottom of the G5 fans sit on this bracket I built

I chopped up the PSU cover a lot to make that surface. I need a better shot of that

And then filling it up and cleaning out the old gunk with blitz

in the middle of the leak test I realized i needed to add this o-ring

no biggie

Moment of truth
I was worried about the cables. it being my first time.

IMG_6721.JPG

I built myself a desk, eeking out a little bit of the living room. I'm going to need to mount the aquero to the front where the cd drive is

Rebuilding now. David from Laser Hive helped me out with the design for the new front panel that holds the aquero

AquaeroInFront.jpg

I still owe him a beer for this. this will also allow really any kind of 5.25 inch device on the front panel. Brilliant David.

Also. the case really just sucks for features. it doesn't have all the crazy panels that a normal case does, so I am redoing most of the interior using maker beam. I plan to cover most of the exposed parts with something. I haven't decided on what yet. I'm using Koolance fittings to make the case contain all the watercooling bits. I want to be able to just add a motherboard and GPU, and have the cooling run on aquacomputer stuff separate from the operating system

interiorWithMakerbeam.jpg

I also picked up a z390 Desgnare as I hear it has the best OSx86 support of that gen. more to come

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back