Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi
CPU
i9-9900k
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
I recently built a new machine. Fresh install, no Migration assistant. I am definitely the administrator. I've checked in preferences. However, random files on my drives from my old machine have my access locked. I can go in and change this and then I get access. Some of the files I have various levels of read and write status. I've set the root folder of all my drives to give myself read and write status, but all the folders within those drives have to be set individually. When I set up folder preferenced within apps, it denies me access and I have to go outside of the app, navigate to the folder, get info, unlock, and change the permissions. There is a strange thing happening in the "sharing & permissions" tab in "get info". There is a "name" there in all of them which says: "fetching", which I assume is a status, and eventually, it's supposed to find something. But it never does. Please see the attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 10.15.49.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 10.15.49.png
    326.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 10.34.25.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 10.34.25.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 44
open Terminal.app, run :

Code:
id

post results

thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 15.49.52.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 15.49.52.png
    144.5 KB · Views: 47
no idea at all
But i just ran id a second time and it did not do it again.
and ran groups

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 16.00.58.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 16.00.58.png
    144.2 KB · Views: 45
ok, id and groups seems to be fine. grab any file from your old drives and run:

Code:
ls -la some_file_from_old_drive

i guess you don't have the ownership of the files on your older drive, even you can have write access, you still don't control them, to get control, run this:

sudo chown -R $USER:staff some_file_or_dir

do not do:

sudo chown -R $USER:staff root_dir_of_drive

as this will mess up the ownership of all files on your old drive.

I'm not too clued up on terminal, how would that look if my drive was called "2015 Storage"?
ls -la 2015 Storage/etc/etc/etc

I'm not too clued up on terminal, how would that look if my drive was called "2015 Storage"?
ls -la 2015 Storage/etc/etc/etc

your drive is located at /Volumes/xxxx

i guess you don't have the ownership of the files on your older drive, even you can have write access, you still don't control them, to get control, run this:

sudo chown -R $USER:staff some_file_or_dir

do not do:

sudo chown -R $USER:staff root_dir_of_drive

as this will mess up the ownership of all files on your old drive.

No, I can get into them just fine. I just hit "get info" edit the permissions and it askes for an admin code, which i have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back