Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Hi All,
After installation of macOS Big Sur 11.4 (and the creation of the admin user) on a separate APFS volume on my sistem drive, the password created works only for Big Sur login but not for changing settings when needed. Right after the installation it worked but later it was no longer possible to use it.
How can i fix this problem?
Thanks in advance for Your help

Last edited:
Check that you are booting in to Big Sur with an Admin User, i.e. if there is a second user icon on the Big Sur login screen try logging in with that second account.

Open System Preferences and navigate to Users & Groups.

Screenshot 2021-07-09 at 14.47.41.png Select Users & Groups preference pane.

This should open a new pane, with a list of the Users on the Hack. Select your User name, and make sure it is set with 'Admin' rights. Check that you do not have another duplicate account, that only has Standard User rights.

Select the Padlock icon in the bottom Left-Hand corner. It will ask you to enter your password, which may cause you issues if your Admin password is not working.

Screenshot 2021-07-09 at 14.47.54.png You may need to Change your Password.

You may need to enable the option 'Allow user to reset password using Apple ID'. If you didn't include this option when creating the account.

You may need to create a new User account, using the '+' sign a the bottom of the left-hand User window.

You may need to reinstall macOS, if you can't get the current User account to work with full Admin rights.

@Edhawk
During the installation I created a single user with administrator privileges, as seen in the attached image:

Schermata 2021-07-10 alle 16.31.44.png

Because of this problem, it is not possible for me to unlock the settings and then change my password or add new users.
Do you think at this point that the only way to fix the problem is to reinstall macOS?

Unfortunately yes, a reinstall will be necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back