Graphics
HD4000
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
A common product used in all our builds is JB Weld, it is one of the de-facto products for bonding metal surfaces, quite often to bond motherboard standoffs, but in fact any metal component

I would love if you could share information about similar products you have used, for bonding not only metal, but plastics as well.

productFull2.jpg

+1000 on the JB Kiwi!

For little jobs, I use household GOOP. Keep in mind, 'a little dab 'l do ya'...

Cheers!

Here is one for the record book. Rhino Glue.
rg.jpg

At about 8 years old, the glass rear window on my red corvette convertible fell into the car. The adhesive that had held it in place completely failed. A web query brought up the popular repair was to re-glue it using Rhino Glue. So that it how I was introduced to this product. The car is now 13 years old and the rear window bond is holding up very well. So this stuff can hold cloth to glass and I have used it for many repairs over the last few years, press and hold for 30 seconds. Like crazy glue but much better in my opinion.
rgkit.jpg

neil

I use black ABS plastic sheets in many of my projects and use this ABS cement to join the parts. The ABS cement is a hardware store item sold in the plumbing department for joining ABS pipe.
ABS.jpg

This is interesting material that modders have been using for years. Grind up some black ABS material and place in a paper coffee cup (or something that you can throw away when done) and add some of the ABS cement. Stir with a wooden stick and work into a paste. This paste can be used as a gap filler and some people use the material to fill molds and make small custom parts.

Do all of this type of thing in a well ventilated area, use gloves and eye protection.

I was into car PCs several years ago and people were reforming dash board bezels with this process.

neil

And...

When you need a quick setting epoxy you may want to try "Devcon High Strength 5 Minute Epoxy", Again mix in equal parts and it sets in about 5 minutes but needs an hour to reach full strength. This is a hardware store item.
devcon.jpg

However if you need a really secure attachment and can wait for the 24 hour cure time, I would use JB Weld instead.

If your application is something that is going be placed in water, do not use the Devcon as it tends to be hydroscopic and will fail over time. This from personal experience.

neil

The following is the best epoxy I have ever found. It is hard to find because it is used to fix things like boats. It is waterproof, sticks to anything, is very hard but is able to flex slightly without cracking. (It has the consistency of the heel of a shoe when cured, is sandable, drillable, and cures underwater.)

...and no I do not sell the stuff, I just have never found another epoxy as good as this. BTW the Plastic boat repair kit is easily the better deal.

It is from a boating place called West System http://www.westsystem.com/ss/g-flex-epoxy/

J-Gflex 650-8.jpg

Hi!

Can anybody recommend me an acrylic cement? I'm going to need to bond two acrylic pieces.

Cheers
F

Hi!

Can anybody recommend me an acrylic cement? I'm going to need to bond two acrylic pieces.

Cheers
F

Sorry for not seeing this question until now!

In my area of the western US there is a company named "Tap Plastics" and they are my source for most plastic materials. They package and resell "ACRYLIC CEMENT" with the TAP logo on it. This is a solvent and is fast acting. The web site is http://www.tapplastics.com/ where you can find more detail on the cement.

Good modding,
neil

Hi!

Cheers
F
You can also use one of the IPS Weld-On adhesives for plexiglass. As a shortcut, if the two pieces are small and edges well polished, you may be able to get by with just using some methylene chloride (available in hardware stores like Home depot). Acrylic to acrylic is actually a "weld" which is why the joining edges must be very smooth (even burrs from a saw blade will seriously weaken the bond). Good luck with the mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back