Contribute
Register

Adding Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Going Bald,
It's been awhile since I've had a problem like this, likely 6 or 7 Hackintosh builds back. I'm hoping because you know more than anyone about problems like I just ran across you can help.

I just built a Z97x-UD3H with a Haswell 4770 cpu and an M.2 Boot drive for OSX using Clover choosing UEFI over Legacy in the Unibeast USB stick creation choices. The OSX with Clover works like a charm, the total install took me less than an hour.

I disconnected the M.2 drive and installed Windows 10 on a Samsung SSD plugged into a Sata port, I installed Windows 10 from a CD deleting two partitions that were on the Samsung SSD from a prior Windows 7 build and letting Windows 10 do it's partitioning and formatting. All went smoothly and I was able to boot into Windows without a problem. I then hooked up the M.2 drive and booted successfully into Clover. I'm able to access the OSX drive without a problem.

In addition to the OSX drive, two NTFS partitions were created visible on the Clover boot loader screen. If I try to boot into either one, I just get a blinking dash at the top left of the screen and Windows does not boot.

In bios I made my first boot device UEFI OSX and then the Windows drive second in the boot order.

Apparently I'm missing something that more often than not is simple for someone who has faced it before but not so much when it is the first time faced. That is the case here. I've only been using Clover recently as I'm rebuilding all our machines from scratch with El Capitan. I'm a bit lost after probably 6 years of Chimera experience starting with P55 motherboards and now I"m requesting and need your help.

Thanks in advance.

If you installed Clover UEFI instead of Legacy then Win10 has to be installed UEFI also. If you only have two NTFS icons in clover selection screen then you probably installed Win10 in Legacy mode.

I would preformat the Win10 drive in OS X disk utility as if I were going to install OS X. In the Win10 installer then delete the OS X partition only to make it free space and select that free space to install Win10 and then let the installer format it and create partitions as required.

Boot your build and hit the function hot key to select a boot device. When you get the list, select the UEFI DVD-RW Windows 10 install DVD to install Windows.

If you installed Clover UEFI instead of Legacy then Win10 has to be installed UEFI also. If you only have two NTFS icons in clover selection screen then you probably installed Win10 in Legacy mode.

I would preformat the Win10 drive in OS X disk utility as if I were going to install OS X. In the Win10 installer then delete the OS X partition only to make it free space and select that free space to install Win10 and then let the installer format it and create partitions as required.

Boot your build and hit the function hot key to select a boot device. When you get the list, select the UEFI DVD-RW Windows 10 install DVD to install Windows.

Thank you for responding so quickly. I appreciate it. Actually that is what I did but the formatting in OSX left me a few partitions, three with two just a few MB and I deleted them all when I did the Win 10 install, made one partition for the Win OS and then let Win10 do it's thing. It's no big deal for me to do it over however if I missed something.

Thank you for responding so quickly. I appreciate it. Actually that is what I did but the formatting in OSX left me a few partitions, three with two just a few MB and I deleted them all when I did the Win 10 install, made one partition for the Win OS and then let Win10 do it's thing. It's no big deal for me to do it over however if I missed something.

Did you leave the EFI partition or delete it? No big deal if booting on separate drives, but if you want to install OS X on the Windows drive the EFI partition needs to be the first partition and it needs to be at least 200MB in size formatted fat32

Did you leave the EFI partition or delete it? No big deal if booting on separate drives, but if you want to install OS X on the Windows drive the EFI partition needs to be the first partition and it needs to be at least 200MB in size formatted fat32

Separate drives. The Clover bootloader works fine to get to OSX on the main boot drive which is an M.2 500GB Samsung. The Windows drive is a 256GB Samsung SSD. OSX works fine when the Windows drive is hooked up or disconnected. I just can't get to Windows when the M.2 OSX drive is connected.

Separate drives. The Clover bootloader works fine to get to OSX on the main boot drive which is an M.2 500GB Samsung. The Windows drive is a 256GB Samsung SSD. OSX works fine when the Windows drive is hooked up or disconnected. I just can't get to Windows when the M.2 OSX drive is connected.

Is Windows installed UEFI or Legacy mode?

Is Windows installed UEFI or Legacy mode?

I just let the Windows 10 installer do the install with no intervention or direction. Whatever that defaults to is the answer and truthfully I don't know how to install legacy versus UEFI

I just let the Windows 10 installer do the install with no intervention or direction. Whatever that defaults to is the answer and truthfully I don't know how to install legacy versus UEFI

Open Windows disk manager and look at your drive. How many partitions? If no EFI partition, it installed legacy.
To install UEFI, hit the function key to let you choose a boot device. Windows installer should show up twice. Say your DVD is connected to SATA port P1 - DVD shows as:
P1: DVD-RW Windows installer
UEFI P1: DVD-RW Windows installer

Chooes the UEFI one to install UEFI mode. If you format the Windows drive GUID Mac OS X in OS X disk utility and then delete the partitions in the Windows installer it makes it easier to force UEFI install since the drive is already formatted GPT.

Open Windows disk manager and look at your drive. How many partitions? If no EFI partition, it installed legacy.
To install UEFI, hit the function key to let you choose a boot device. Windows installer should show up twice. Say your DVD is connected to SATA port P1 - DVD shows as:
P1: DVD-RW Windows installer
UEFI P1: DVD-RW Windows installer

Chooes the UEFI one to install UEFI mode. If you format the Windows drive GUID Mac OS X in OS X disk utility and then delete the partitions in the Windows installer it makes it easier to force UEFI install since the drive is already formatted GPT.

Got it thank you. What I did is let it simply boot from CD with the Windows disk inserted when i booted the machine (which it will do by default if no other drive is present. What you just provided is a very simple needed step explanation that probably should be included in the installation guides. Saying boot the disk UEFI or legacy isn't nearly as clear as the way you just explained the necessary step. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back