Motherboard
Macbook Pro 7,1
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Well, after helping my friend build his hackintosh, I finally pulled the trigger and built my own.
Everything is working flawlessly, and so far everything works great with Yosemite. I was using Parallels to run Windows 7, but figured out I couldn't install any drivers for my Graphics card on the Windows side, thus not letting me play any high graphics games. I also found out that bootcamp isn't an option either. I've heard its best to install windows first if you wish to dual boot, but I'm already past that. So, what are my best options? Is there a way to add Windows 7 to my existing hard drive and dual boot, or would it be easier to backup everything and start over (and if so, how would I wipe everything)? Thanks in advanced for the help.
-Jack

Add another hard drive or worst case install it on a usb 3.0 drive.

I high recommend against trying to dual boot both OS off the same drive. Getting it to work is no problem but if you have any errors or issues it can be a nightmare to fix the one OS without delating the other one.

Ok, I actually have quite a few USB 3.0 drives I could use until I get a new SSD. I'm still relatively new to all of this, so how would I go about doing that?

There are a few threads around regarding this, try a search on "dual boot".

The biggest thing is to disconnect your Mac OS drive while doing the Windoze install. Not sure about parallels, but I have Fusion pointed to my Win Drive, works fine.

You may need to go into the setup and re-order the boot order of the drives, seem to remember it wanting to use the Win drive first after the install, and changing it to USB, then my SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back