Contribute
Register

Adding/Using HiDPI custom resolutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm replacing my 2K native monitor with another just to be able to have 2K (or at least 1080p) HiDPI display. Will any 4K native monitor allow 2K or 1080p HiDPI? Please advise.

Last edited:
I have a similar Lenovo monitor (L24q-20 2560x1440 native) but only get 720p HiDPI. Could you please let us know how you enabled 2304x1296 HiDPI with your monitor?
I'm using switchresX to add new resolutions, the math is very easy, you have to add resolution 2x of the HiDPI resolution that you want, for example if you want 1080p, add 3840x2160. After that I'm using RDM to select the desired resolution.

I'm using switchresX to add new resolutions, the math is very easy, you have to add resolution 2x of the HiDPI resolution that you want, for example if you want 1080p, add 3840x2160. After that I'm using RDM to select the desired resolution.
Ok, thank you. I'll try to add a custom resolution similar to yours (2304x1296) and see how it works.

Hi RehabMan,
let's start fresh on this issue.
I've managed to better understand the DisplayPreference file and now i can add all the HiDPI resolutions i want and select them using RDM (see attached pictures) BUT i'm facing a problem waking the monitor (when become black from inactivity). When i use some particular HiDPI resolutions like 1664x936 or 1536x864 when the laptop wake from sleep (or from black screen due to inactivity) the display scale is wrong. The image is on the top left corner of the monitor and the rest of the monitor space is black(see picture).
I think it's important to say that if i let the screen goes black (for inactivity) and then press a key to switch the monitor on the image is of the right size and everything seems ok but after login i've graphical glitches (for example moving the mouse leave a trail of the precedent mouse position).
If i use 1440x810 (still HiDPI) i don't have this problem. I thought it was because of the huge resolution (1536x864 hidpi means 3072x1728 if i correctly understand how HiDPI works) but then i tried 1920x1080 HiDPI and using this resolution cause no problem after sleep so i don't know what to think anymore.
Attached you will find the RP file as requested and also the DisplayPreference i'm currently using.

Thanks for your help
Mattia
Is it possible to have the LG 34WN95U-W using 5120x2160 using HiDIP with a macbook pro 15” mid 2019 with this technique that you showed there? Not Apple or LG can help...

hi i am new to this community i just installed mac os big sur on my asus 14 inch laptop anyone who could help me as a beginner to get more content diplayed on screen as windows have 150percent scaled

I get HiDPI on external Full HD LCD with native resolution 1920x1200.
Use scaled resolutions app and SwitchrexX control .

So “macOS native HiDPI ” 960x600 (HiDPI) - Wonderfull quality
1280x800 (HiDPI) - very good
1440x900 (HiDPI) - good
1680x1050 (HiDPI) - decent quality
1920x1200 (HiDPI) - No effect at all

My conclusion. HiDPI is a very simple software “technology”.
Four (or three , two ) pixels is used to describe one pixel
finally we get better quality but a cost of resolution.

This same LCD works better on Windows or Linux with full native resolution.

Apple from the beginning use this same very old method of fonts render so our
screens looks not good . We must buy 4K or 5K LCD and
lower resolutions to get better quality. It does not make sense.

Hi all,

I've tried to do my reading but 96 pages is a lot so I was hoping someone could give me a once-over before I get started.
I'm running Big Sur. Do I have any chance of success?

I've got a 2560 * 1440 monitor. Just using RDM I can select 1280 * 800 (high-DPI) and everything is perfect. However, because this is a 16:10 resolution and I'm on a 16:9 monitor, I get 2 black bars on either side of the screen.

The solution should be 1280 * 720 - but while this is an option, selecting it doesn't actually do anything. Apparently the solution is the process in this thread.

Final question - when I'm creating my custom res, do I actually need to create one higher than the monitor's res, i.e. 3840 * 2160? And is this tool still the best way of doing things?

Cheers!

I have a short question: with Catalina 10.15.6 after putting HiDPI overide file, does the resolution with (HiDPI) show up in system preference panel( after option+click)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back