Contribute
Register

Adding/Using HiDPI custom resolutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
i'm trying to make a modified DisplayPrefence without success.
Long story short :
If i use this code inside my DisplayPreference (it is generated by a script called OneKey HiDPI) i've custom resolutions
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>DisplayProductID</key>
    <integer>1892</integer>
    <key>DisplayVendorID</key>
    <integer>2533</integer>
    <key>IODisplayEDID</key>
    <data>
    AP///////wAGEBSgAAAAAAoWAQSlHRJ4Am+xp1VMniUMUFQAAAABAQEBAQEBAQEBAQEB
    AQEBPDeA3nA4FEAwIDYANa0QAAAaAAAA/ABDb2xvciBMQ0QKICAgAAAA/gBCT0UgQ1EK
    ICAgICAgAAAA/gBUVjE0MEZITS1OSDAKAMA=
    </data>
    <key>scale-resolutions</key>
    <array>
        <data>
        AAANIAAAB2AA
        </data>
        <data>
        AAALQAAABlQA
        </data>
        <data>
        AAAKAAAABaAA
        </data>
        <data>
        AAAIAAAABIAA
        </data>
        <data>
        AAAKAAAABkAAAAABACAAAA==
        </data>
        <data>
        AAAKAAAABaAAAAABACAAAA==
        </data>
        <data>
        AAAHgAAABLAAAAABACAAAA==
        </data>
        <data>
        AAAHgAAABDgAAAABACAAAA==
        </data>
        <data>
        AAAFAAAAAtAAAAABACAAAA==
        </data>
        <data>
        AAAGkAAAA7AAAAAB
        </data>
        <data>
        AAAGQAAAA4QAAAAB
        </data>
        <data>
        AAAFoAAAAyoAAAAB
        </data>
        <data>
        AAAFAAAAAtAAAAAB
        </data>
        <data>
        AAAEgAAAAogAAAAB
        </data>
        <data>
        AAAEAAAAAkAAAAAB
        </data>
        <data>
        AAADSAAAAdQAAAAB
        </data>
        <data>
        AAADIAAAAcIAAAAB
        </data>
        <data>
        AAACgAAAAWgAAAAB
        </data>
        <data>
        AAANIAAAB2AAAAAJAKAAAA==
        </data>
        <data>
        AAALQAAABlQAAAAJAKAAAA==
        </data>
        <data>
        AAAKAAAABaAAAAAJAKAAAA==
        </data>
        <data>
        AAAIAAAABIAAAAAJAKAAAA==
        </data>
        <data>
        AAAHgAAABDgAAAAJAKAAAA==
        </data>
        <data>
        AAAGkAAAA7AAAAAJAKAAAA==
        </data>
        <data>
        AAAGQAAAA4QAAAAJAKAAAA==
        </data>
        <data>
        AAAFAAAAAtAAAAAJAKAAAA==
        </data>
    </array>
    <key>target-default-ppmm</key>
    <real>10.069930100000001</real>
</dict>
</plist>

If i try to modify that file using some custom resolution i want to try they just don't appear.
I have also a question because in that plist some resolution have undocumented hex after the "normal" height and width bytes. Some resolutions have <00000d20 00000760 00000009 00a00000> while others have only <00000690 000003b0 00000001> while others have <00000a00 00000640 00000001 00200000>.
Could please somebody help me for example add a 1600*900 HiDPI resolution to this file ?

Thanks
mattia

You should attach the files you're working with, and attach PR files (as per laptop FAQ), and prove that you installed the display override correctly.

You should attach the files you're working with, and attach PR files (as per laptop FAQ), and prove that you installed the display override correctly.
Hi RehabMan,
let's start fresh on this issue.
I've managed to better understand the DisplayPreference file and now i can add all the HiDPI resolutions i want and select them using RDM (see attached pictures) BUT i'm facing a problem waking the monitor (when become black from inactivity). When i use some particular HiDPI resolutions like 1664x936 or 1536x864 when the laptop wake from sleep (or from black screen due to inactivity) the display scale is wrong. The image is on the top left corner of the monitor and the rest of the monitor space is black(see picture).
I think it's important to say that if i let the screen goes black (for inactivity) and then press a key to switch the monitor on the image is of the right size and everything seems ok but after login i've graphical glitches (for example moving the mouse leave a trail of the precedent mouse position).
If i use 1440x810 (still HiDPI) i don't have this problem. I thought it was because of the huge resolution (1536x864 hidpi means 3072x1728 if i correctly understand how HiDPI works) but then i tried 1920x1080 HiDPI and using this resolution cause no problem after sleep so i don't know what to think anymore.
Attached you will find the RP file as requested and also the DisplayPreference i'm currently using.

Thanks for your help
Mattia

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-03-01 at 15.14.21.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-03-01 at 15.14.21.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 230
  • debug_20882.zip
    2 MB · Views: 98
  • DisplayProductID-764.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_20190301_155827.jpg
    IMG_20190301_155827.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
When i use some particular HiDPI resolutions like 1664x936 or 1536x864 when the laptop wake from sleep (or from black screen due to inactivity) the display scale is wrong. The image is on the top left corner of the monitor and the rest of the monitor space is black(see picture).

I've seen that too. Seems to be a macOS bug.

So no solution at the moment, right?

My experience:
If you have lock enabled over sleep, you'll enter your password and upon transition to the normal desktop, it corrects itself.

Hi

I've installed the custom resolutions successfully. However, after restarting the resolution gets back to non-hdpi. For example:

I choose 1600x900 hidpi, after restarting the resolution is 1600x900.

Anyone can help?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 9.38.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 9.38.37 PM.png
    785.6 KB · Views: 219
Which software are you using? I can't find the related software with the name RDM :(
Just type "RDM for Mac" on google.
By the way, RDM means "Retina Display Menu"...

@RehabMan If you have a second to respond, I'd appreciate it... Other than the Mac itself, my brother and I have identical monitors, cabling, adaptors. I'm running a Mac mini i7 2018 6 Core and he's running an iMac Pro 10 Core, both on 10.14.4 Mojave. Our monitors is the Sony 49" 4k x720e, plugged into the TB3 port. He's able to get HiDPI 3840 x 2160 resolution but I'm not able to get more than 3360 x 1890 (HiDPI). Is this due to the graphics card, mine being a UHD 630 and his is a Vega 56? Even with SwitchResX, the results are the same there for the both of us. I've tried the method provided here using Display Product/Vendor ID but still a no go for me. Thanks.

Last edited:
For 'RDM' menu style, i'm founded a simple way is patching two HEX bytes, it's your display panel dimensions. In my case the dimension for my 15.6 LGD0215 is not fit to 331x207mm form of 15.4 Retina display panel. So, i'm patching my EDID to get 300x200mm - EDID just have two digit (30x20cm) - then Icons.plist patch now working. On macOS you can use AW EDID EDITOR to edit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back