Contribute
Register

Adding/Using HiDPI custom resolutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, no problem reporting for me. I just wanted to say thank you for this guide.

I had just one trouble with custom resolutions not taken into account as HiDPI, but after reading this line I got my solution
In order to make it HiDPI capable, you must also add another scaled resolution at twice the custom resolution above

Setting DVMT pre alloc to 128M in the BIOS solved the issue, it seems. Only after setting that parameter and removing
IntelGraphicsDVMTFixup.kext the 1600x900 hiDPI resolution became accessible.
It seems like mine is 128MB in the beginning .

Attachments

• 1533507895468723100943742075628.jpg
    1533507895468723100943742075628.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 99
I understand, but before I mess with all the BIOS settings, am I able to make sure that changing DVMT to 64MB will solve the issue?

What issue exactly ?

I don't know if that's going to solve your issue. You can give it a try but if you don't feel secure enough to mess up with bios settings from the EFI shell (a topic for another forum or thread ) then you can use a different hidpi resolution such as 1440x810, which is the conventional apparent resolution for 13" displays anyway. Also try other ig-platform-id like 591b 591e. By the way I am using a script called "one key hdpi" which can be found on github to generate the display override

I don't know if that's going to solve your issue. You can give it a try but if you don't feel secure enough to mess up with bios settings from the EFI shell (a topic for another forum or thread ) then you can use a different hidpi resolution such as 1440x810, which is the conventional apparent resolution for 13" displays anyway. Also try other ig-platform-id like 591b 591e. By the way I am using a script called "one key hdpi" which can be found on github to generate the display override
I can confirm 1440x810 won't have this issue, but the text is kinda big and so the windows screen

I can confirm 1440x810 won't have this issue, but the text is kinda big and so the windows screen

Kinda big, yes. If you want you should do some research regarding the DVMT-prealloc setting for your particular Dell BIOS . Some details on how to do it seem to be specific for each system and each BIOS version. Only then you would figure out if that's the problem. You'll probably need Windows for this.

On the other hand, the real 13" MacBook pro has 1440x900 scaled resolution, the 13" MacBook air has this native resolution too, and maybe that's how big it is supposed to look for the user interface. So, this should be an usable working scaling resolution for you while you take your time to sort it out if this is such a big problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back