Contribute
Register

Adding/Using HiDPI custom resolutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Using a Dell U2518D, I can see one HiDPI resolution available in my settings but not the one I'm after, using alt displays more HiDPI resolutions but not 1920x1080, the highest available is 1280x720. I'm using my Display port on gtx 1050 if that matters. I don't think my DisplayProductID file is being read (I used the generator at https://comsysto.github.io/Display-...or-with-HiDPI-Support-For-Scaled-Resolutions/) Any ideas?
Unsure what you need but I've attached some stuff..

thanks

1920x1080 HiDPI requires 1920x1080 and 3840x2160 in the display override file.
You only have the former... 3840x2160 is missing.
Read post #1 carefully.

1920x1080 HiDPI requires 1920x1080 and 3840x2160 in the display override file.
You only have the former... 3840x2160 is missing.
Read post #1 carefully.

Alright, I've added 3840x2160 and 1920x1080 in both hidpi and non-hidpi.. still doesn't show up in available resolutions. Note this monitor can only do 2560x1440

Attachments

• DisplayProductID-413a.plist
    883 bytes · Views: 266
Alright, I've added 3840x2160 and 1920x1080 in both hidpi and non-hidpi.. still doesn't show up in available resolutions. Note this monitor can only do 2560x1440

Use a plist that has only the HiDPI resolution you're interested in.
Check what you see in RDM.
Keep in mind the file must be copied without the plist extension, and must be copied with correct permissions and in the correct directory.
Also, ig-platform-id plays a role...

Use a plist that has only the HiDPI resolution you're interested in.
Check what you see in RDM.
Keep in mind the file must be copied without the plist extension, and must be copied with correct permissions and in the correct directory.
Also, ig-platform-id plays a role...

1920x1080 shows up in RDM but I don't know if it's hidpi, does the lightning strike (in RDM) next to the res mean hidpi?

1920x1080 shows up in RDM but I don't know if it's hidpi, does the lightning strike (in RDM) next to the res mean hidpi?

I really don't remember what RDM displays for HiDPI.
It should be obvious when you take a screenshot though...

I really don't remember what RDM displays for HiDPI.
It should be obvious when you take a screenshot though...
Yeah i think it does mean HiDPI but it doesn't look at good as I thought it would (comparing to Windows 10 scaling at same resolution). I wonder if it isn't working properly, 1280x720 HiDPI which is available in the resolutions looks better but just too big.

Yeah i think it does mean HiDPI but it doesn't look at good as I thought it would (comparing to Windows 10 scaling at same resolution). I wonder if it isn't working properly, 1280x720 HiDPI which is available in the resolutions looks better but just too big.

You should be able to tell if it is HiDPI if you grab a screen shot and view it on a non-HiDPI setup (it will be larger).
You can also tell in System Information.app.

If you're using anything other than a 2x scaling factor (as related to native resolution), it won't be perfect.
Windows scaling is better in this regard.

You should be able to tell if it is HiDPI if you grab a screen shot and view it on a non-HiDPI setup (it will be larger).
You can also tell in System Information.app.

If you're using anything other than a 2x scaling factor (as related to native resolution), it won't be perfect.
Windows scaling is better in this regard.

It's weird, the text just doesn't look right in some places, google chrome, gmail the text doesn't seem as clear as it should be. On 1280x720 it looks sharp though. The text looks a bit better in Windows at 1920x1080, gmail for example.

Don't know if it's my eyes but just reading this forum feels more difficult on the hackintosh vs Windows, I have no idea what could cause that.

Instagram looks better on the hackintosh with HiDPI, on Windows it's blurry in parts so it wins there.

Last edited:
It's weird, the text just doesn't look right in some places, google chrome, gmail the text doesn't seem as clear as it should be. On 1280x720 it looks sharp though. The text looks a bit better in Windows at 1920x1080, gmail for example.

Don't know if it's my eyes but just reading this forum feels more difficult on the hackintosh vs Windows, I have no idea what could cause that.

Instagram looks better on the hackintosh with HiDPI, on Windows it's blurry in parts so it wins there.

No idea unless you state exactly what your native monitor resolution is.
Anything other than a 2x scale will not be very good on macOS (it is an artifact of how Apple implements HiDPI).

No idea unless you state exactly what your native monitor resolution is.
Anything other than a 2x scale will not be very good on macOS (it is an artifact of how Apple implements HiDPI).

2560x1440p, I'm trying onboard video to see if it's any better, maybe driver or something isn't right with the gtx 1050.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back