Contribute
Register

Adding/Using HiDPI custom resolutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did some experimenting. Firstly with different ig-platform-id's. The only ig-platform-id that allowed me to successfully boot into Sierra with inject intel enabled was 19270002. However, there was no graphics acceleration and beside the graphics there was indicated 31mb. All other ig-platform-id's switched the display off before reaching the login screen. In some cases I was able to screen share into the computer from another Mac. What is the fake platform-id that you can edit in the clover boot options when you boot?

I found the MacBook Pro 13" from 2016 with touch bar uses display override in folder DisplayVendorID-610, DisplayProductID-a034.

The list of resolutions that show on that MacBook are attached in a screenshot.

I tried copying the scaled-resolutions from that list to mine which are found in DisplayVendorID-1e6d, DisplayProductID-5b09 but that didn't really help.

I did discover that by adding this code

Code:
<key>IOGFlags</key>
<integer>4</integer>

I was able to now see the scaled resolutions listed in the Display Preferences window. This I could not see before and it only appears with this IOGFlags code in place. I tried changing the number higher and lower and sometimes it would disappear. Seems to only work with it set to 4.

The file in folder DisplayVendorID-9e6d, DisplayVendorID-5b11 seems to be for the LG 5k Ultra fine display. I tried copying the long list of scale-resolutions in that file to my own one. This did add more options for scaled resolutions in the Display Preferences window. It did not work for enabling HiDpi scaled resolutions though.

My question is if the HD 530 graphics is physically capable of producing HiDpi resolutions greater than 1080p? Or is it just a matter of having the right code to make it display?

I will upload my simple DisplayProductID code that gets me 1440 in low resolution mode.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 12.43.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-01 at 12.43.01 PM.png
    5 MB · Views: 202
  • Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 08.36.47.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 08.36.47.png
    189.2 KB · Views: 213
  • DisplayProductID-5b09.plist
    502 bytes · Views: 244
I did some experimenting. Firstly with different ig-platform-id's. The only ig-platform-id that allowed me to successfully boot into Sierra with inject intel enabled was 19270002.

0x19270002 is invalid.
You should not expect working graphics with an invalid ig-platform-id.

Just discover this thread. Good info, thanks.
Have a Samsung 4K TV + Nvidia 1080Ti.
The goal is to get 4K sharpness but with much larger menus. So thinking I want 2560 x 1440 HiDPI.
Currently, with the Pixel Clock Patch + SwitchRes method I can get it but not at 60Hz.
A couple of questions:
For this method, am I getting rid of Pixel Clock and SwitchRes?
How do I specify/force 60Hz at HiDPI? (this is where I'm really confused. Couldn't make it work with SwitchRes)

Update: So digging some more using RDM utility and looks like I have 1 HiDPI resolution setting at 60hz - 1920x1080. Looks good on 4K (not like regular scaled 1080p). Just curious why I can't get the other resolutions working at 60hz.

Last edited:
Just discover this thread. Good info, thanks.
Have a Samsung 4K TV + Nvidia 1080Ti.
The goal is to get 4K sharpness but with much larger menus. So thinking I want 2560 x 1440 HiDPI.
Currently, with the Pixel Clock Patch + SwitchRes method I can get it but not at 60Hz.
A couple of questions:
For this method, am I getting rid of Pixel Clock and SwitchRes?
How do I specify/force 60Hz at HiDPI? (this is where I'm really confused. Couldn't make it work with SwitchRes)

Update: So digging some more using RDM utility and looks like I have 1 HiDPI resolution setting at 60hz - 1920x1080. Looks good on 4K (not like regular scaled 1080p). Just curious why I can't get the other resolutions working at 60hz.

Did you patch the framebuffer correctly for HDMI?

0x19270002 is invalid.
You should not expect working graphics with an invalid ig-platform-id.

Hi Rehabman,

After quite a few lost hours I have managed to get 1440p HiDPI working on my 4K monitor and HD 530 graphics (sort of).

Using iMac 17,1 and injecting ig-platform-id 0x19260004 and fake-id 0x19268086 I am able to boot and have all scaling resolutions in HiDPI when connected with the HDMI cable. I say sort of because this only works at 30Hz refresh rate.

I get a loss of signal when booting with the DisplayPort cable, however, I can screen share into the mac with another computer and login.

Do you have any idea how I can get this working via the DisplayPort cable at 60Hz?

All the best

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 17.11.29.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-11 at 17.11.29.png
    538.8 KB · Views: 144
Hi Rehabman,

After quite a few lost hours I have managed to get 1440p HiDPI working on my 4K monitor and HD 530 graphics (sort of).

Using iMac 17,1 and injecting ig-platform-id 0x19260004 and fake-id 0x19268086 I am able to boot and have all scaling resolutions in HiDPI when connected with the HDMI cable. I say sort of because this only works at 30Hz refresh rate.

I get a loss of signal when booting with the DisplayPort cable, however, I can screen share into the mac with another computer and login.

Do you have any idea how I can get this working via the DisplayPort cable at 60Hz?

All the best

Off-topic here really...
But your DP port may be connected to the 0306 port and you probably don't have that enabled.
(patch framebuffer appropriately to enable the 0306 port)

Off-topic here really...
But your DP port may be connected to the 0306 port and you probably don't have that enabled.
(patch framebuffer appropriately to enable the 0306 port)

Yes sorry this has gone off topic for this thread now. It did start on topic though as I was trying your method to enable the HiDPI.

How do I go about patching the frame buffer to enable the 0306 port?

When I use ioreg and i look at AppleIntelFramebuffer@3 where the DisplayPort normally connects, under port-number it says 0x0 and connector-type 01 00 00 00. What does that mean?

Thank you so much.
All the best

Yes sorry this has gone off topic for this thread now. It did start on topic though as I was trying your method to enable the HiDPI.

How do I go about patching the frame buffer to enable the 0306 port?

When I use ioreg and i look at AppleIntelFramebuffer@3 where the DisplayPort normally connects, under port-number it says 0x0 and connector-type 01 00 00 00. What does that mean?

Thank you so much.
All the best

It means the ig-platform-id you're using does not have an 0306 connector, but you have likely patched for "4 displays" (eg. changed the port count, but didn't add the 0306 connector).

It means the ig-platform-id you're using does not have an 0306 connector, but you have likely patched for "4 displays" (eg. changed the port count, but didn't add the 0306 connector).

Ok yes that is true I have the patched "4 displays" enabled. So how do I add the 0306 connector? Sorry I'm really new at all this so I am learning as I go.

All the best

Ok yes that is true I have the patched "4 displays" enabled. So how do I add the 0306 connector? Sorry I'm really new at all this so I am learning as I go.

All the best

Why don't you use ig-platform-id 0x19120000, which already has the 0306 connector?
You might want to learn a bit about the framebuffer connector data...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back