Contribute
Register

Adding/Using HiDPI custom resolutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I managed to see more by holding down the Option key whilst clicking on "Scaled", but none but one are at HiDPI resolution. Perhaps this is because the U430 is limited at 1600x900.

No idea without a screen shot. Not sure of your expectations either. Your expectations may be out-of-line with your hardware.

I will note that the product-id inside your file does not match the file name. Also, OS X will not load a file with a plist extension. It must be without an extension.

This plist is for a Dell. You have a Dell screen in your Lenovo u430?

No idea without a screen shot. Not sure of your expectations either. Your expectations may be out-of-line with your hardware.

I will note that the product-id inside your file does not match the file name. Also, OS X will not load a file with a plist extension. It must be without an extension.

This plist is for a Dell. You have a Dell screen in your Lenovo u430?

Here is a screenshot. Do you mind if I have a look and the one use for your Lenovo U430 since it is identical to mine. I did correct the name of the files and removed the .plist extension.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-05-18 17.42.46.png
    Screenshot 2015-05-18 17.42.46.png
    408.9 KB · Views: 773
Here is a screenshot. Do you mind if I have a look and the one use for your Lenovo U430 since it is identical to mine. I did correct the name of the files and removed the .plist extension.

Looking at your file, I think you need to re-read the guide in post #1.

Looking at your file, I think you need to re-read the guide in post #1.

Fixed! The .plist extension was still there even when I manually removed it.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-05-18 18.25.36.jpg
    Screenshot 2015-05-18 18.25.36.jpg
    509 KB · Views: 734
Fixed! The .plist extension was still there even when I manually removed it.

I guess the trailing 00000001 is not necessary (I wonder what it does -- I originally saw it in MBP retina display plist).

Many thanks for this Rehabman. It is quite useful. On my desktop I have a dual 1920x1200 setup and the difference between 1440x900(HiDPI) and 1440x900 without HiDPI is night and day. I have now permanently set my monitors to 1440x900(HiDPI) and it feels as if I have Retina monitors (not quite, but close) as the images and text are quite sharp. I can imagine it will be even more useful on 4K monitors and above as well.

Thanks again for your efforts!

Many thanks for this Rehabman. It is quite useful. On my desktop I have a dual 1920x1200 setup and the difference between 1440x900(HiDPI) and 1440x900 without HiDPI is night and day. I have now permanently set my monitors to 1440x900(HiDPI) and it feels as if I have Retina monitors (not quite, but close) as the images and text are quite sharp. I can imagine it will be even more useful on 4K monitors and above as well.

Thanks again for your efforts!

Yes... the only downside is the performance hit.

Hi rehabman,

I found some high dpi resolution does not appear under resolution setting. But I can found it under switchresx, and apply the new resolution.

Another problem is that some high dpi resolution seems not achievable. For example, I can use 1600x900 (highdpi) but not for 1440x810 (highdpi). When I choose it, nothing happening.

Hi rehabman,

I found some high dpi resolution does not appear under resolution setting. But I can found it under switchresx, and apply the new resolution.

Hold option.

Another problem is that some high dpi resolution seems not achievable. For example, I can use 1600x900 (highdpi) but not for 1440x810 (highdpi). When I choose it, nothing happening.

Perhaps you made an error in creating your display override file.

Hi !
Did you think this process can also be used for external monitor ?
I just bought a Dell UltraSharp U2515H with a resolution of 2560x1440 (same as iMac27) but HiDpi resolution are now available in sys pref.

What differences using external monitor ? just the ID ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back