Contribute
Register

Adding/Using HiDPI custom resolutions

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are right! But I can't see resolutions marked as HiDPI in System Prefs / Displays / Scaled with Option btn for external monitor in Mac OS X 10.11.6. I've used RDM for set my custom scaled resolution 1920x1080 as mentioned in post #222.

Additional scaled options are often shown if you press Option while clicking "Scaled".

Hi there. I can't activate hidpi mode. I tried the terminal command mentioned in post 1, Quartz Debug and ResolutionTab. I'm on a Lenovo Y50-70 which uses a native resolution of 1920 * 1080. I'd like to get 100 * 1200 in hidpi mode. I followed this guide and created a plist (see attachment).

Attachments

• DisplayProductID-44f.plist
    470 bytes · Views: 303
Hi there. I can't activate hidpi mode. I tried the terminal command mentioned in post 1, Quartz Debug and ResolutionTab. I'm on a Lenovo Y50-70 which uses a native resolution of 1920 * 1080. I'd like to get 100 * 1200 in hidpi mode. I followed this guide and created a plist (see attachment).

I don't know what you mean by 100 * 1200.

Your plist is trying 1600 x 900.... Make sure you install the plist file correctly (folder/file locations differ on 10.11). Make sure the ids match your actual display hardware.

It's a typo, I meant 1600*900. Are the file locations the ones you used in post 1? I'm using 10.11.6.

It's a typo, I meant 1600*900. Are the file locations the ones you used in post 1? I'm using 10.11.6.

The file locations have changed in El Capitan (and maybe in Yosemite). Read the entire thread or use google.

Hi,

If this is the wrong place to post, please let me know.

This method with the auto-tool was working just fine in El Capitan but since updating to Sierra, I just can't get it to work properly. I have a Dell U2515H, so one of the most common, and I'm trying to make the screen 1080p HiDPI with a scaled resolution of 4K.

Sierra deleted the old .plist file so I have gone and re-downlaoded it and placed it in the same place. I've tried all manner of combinations - putting the plist in the same place as the rest of the DisplayVendor files, putting it in its own folder (which I think is what the tutorial wants from me). I've disabled SiP. Nothing works.

SwitchResX, my favoured tool but which costs money, doesn't work either. It just says the custom scaled resolution is 'Not Installed'.

I am at my wits end here trying to get my 'golden' display back to how it was before Sierra. Is anyone able to help me?

Thanks.

Hi egg,

First of all I'm sorry for posting a reply that doesn't have a solution - I know how disheartening it is to see a response to a topic and get excited at a potential fix but realise it's just another 'no idea' post!

Would you be able to upload your plist file here, at least so clouless can have a look at it? It's interesting that it at least shows up, compared to the auto tool not showing.

Secondly, I saw a ****** post that I think mentioned this specific issue (though it didn't talk of plist files etc) and someone said Apple is working to restore the functionality. I am wondering if the new developer beta released last night includes this fix. I don't have developer access to try it, does anyone here?

Hi egg,

First of all I'm sorry for posting a reply that doesn't have a solution - I know how disheartening it is to see a response to a topic and get excited at a potential fix but realise it's just another 'no idea' post!

Would you be able to upload your plist file here, at least so clouless can have a look at it? It's interesting that it at least shows up, compared to the auto tool not showing.

Secondly, I saw a ****** post that I think mentioned this specific issue (though it didn't talk of plist files etc) and someone said Apple is working to restore the functionality. I am wondering if the new developer beta released last night includes this fix. I don't have developer access to try it, does anyone here?

Don't worry about it, I wasn't expecting anyone to have a solution. Just thought I'd present what I've run into in case anyone else had a similar issue.

Here's my plist file.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>DisplayProductName</key>
    <string>Dell U2515H Display</string>
    <key>DisplayProductID</key>
    <integer>53358</integer>
    <key>DisplayVendorID</key>
    <integer>4268</integer>
    <key>scale-resolutions</key>
    <array>
        <data>AAAHgAAABDg=</data>
        <data>AAAPAAAACHA=</data>