Contribute
Register

Adding MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB, what changes need to be made?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z270X Ultra Gaming
CPU
i5-7600K
Graphics
RX580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So I'm running on a PERFECTLY working Hacintosh now (sleep, audio, HDMI audio, Ethernet, video, etc)... Mac OS X 10.13.3 on the standard Intel HD 630 graphics on the Gigabyte Z270X Ultra Gaming motherboard. But looking to gain some performance for 3D applications, movie edits, etc and just got a MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB Armor OC card. I was wondering what all changes I will have to make to my system (Boot Flags, SMBIOS, Kexts, Etc) before I dive into this adventure? Hearing that it's "natively supported" in Mac OS X?

Including my EFI folder for review and/or comparison to other users Z270X Ultra Gaming setup.

Intel 3.8Ghz i5 7600K
Intel HD 630 Graphics
Samsung EVO 960 500GB NVMe SSD
32GB DDR4 2400Mhz
LG Ultrawide 34" 21:9 display (using HDMI)
High Sierra 10.13.3

Joe

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    16.8 MB · Views: 187
So I'm running on a PERFECTLY working Hacintosh now (sleep, audio, HDMI audio, Ethernet, video, etc)... Mac OS X 10.13.3 on the standard Intel HD 630 graphics on the Gigabyte Z270X Ultra Gaming motherboard. But looking to gain some performance for 3D applications, movie edits, etc and just got a MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB Armor OC card. I was wondering what all changes I will have to make to my system (Boot Flags, SMBIOS, Kexts, Etc) before I dive into this adventure? Hearing that it's "natively supported" in Mac OS X?

Including my EFI folder for review and/or comparison to other users Z270X Ultra Gaming setup.

Intel 3.8Ghz i5 7600K
Intel HD 630 Graphics
Samsung EVO 960 500GB NVMe SSD
32GB DDR4 2400Mhz
LG Ultrawide 34" 21:9 display (using HDMI)
High Sierra 10.13.3

Joe

You should update to MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4 or above before adding the card. 10.13.4 and later provides native support for the RX580. The latest version of High Sierra is 10.13.6.

If you are worried about problems, I suggest (1) make a bootable USB stick using Unibeast if you have not done so, and (2) clone your system to another disk or partition and using the clone to update.

I have just replaced the old GTX760 graphics card with a Sapphire Pulse RX580, and the system directly boots under High Sierra 10.13.6 without any modifications. In Sierra 10.12.6 the addition of the Lilu and WhateverGreen kexts also allow the system to boot successfully.

I upgraded to Mojave and am trying to use an MSI RX580 and am not able to boot.
If I have Integrated graphics enabled I make it most of the way through the boot sequence (apple logo and progress bar) and then hit a reboot loop.
If I disable Integrated graphics and chose the PCI slot (in this case slot 2) I don't even get to the Clover boot screen.
Any ideas on possible solutions?
Thanks.

I upgraded to Mojave and am trying to use an MSI RX580 and am not able to boot.
If I have Integrated graphics enabled I make it most of the way through the boot sequence (apple logo and progress bar) and then hit a reboot loop.
If I disable Integrated graphics and chose the PCI slot (in this case slot 2) I don't even get to the Clover boot screen.
Any ideas on possible solutions?
Thanks.

Use lilukext and whatevergreenkext in clover/kexts/Other folder. Disable IGPU and plug display into RX card.

Tried Adding Lilu and Whatevergreen.
With card installed I get a green screen before automatically rebooting, and in verbose get these vertical stipes.

Attachments

• 20190621_180741.jpg
    20190621_180741.jpg
    745.1 KB · Views: 79
  • 20190621_180735.jpg
    20190621_180735.jpg
    676.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 20190621_175838.jpg
    20190621_175838.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
When I disable Internal graphics I go to a black screen about 1/2 way through the apple boot sequence. The monitor actually shuts off (orange light showing it's not receiving data)
Verbose does not help as I cannot a get a screenshot of the last operation.
Suggestions welcome.

Last edited:
When I disable Internal graphics I go to a black screen about 1/2 way through the apple boot sequence. The monitor actually shuts off (orange light showing it's not receiving data)
Verbose does not help as I cannot a get a screenshot of the last operation.
Suggestions welcome.

What type of display cable?

DVI cable.
Someone suggested a 17.1 imac definition might help. Should I try that? I'm currently in 14.1 (which was the default installation using unibeast/multibeast)
(I hesitate as in the past changing that setting has lead to bootloops and other issues.)

DVI cable.
Someone suggested a 17.1 imac definition might help. Should I try that? I'm currently in 14.1 (which was the default installation using unibeast/multibeast)
(I hesitate as in the past changing that setting has lead to bootloops and other issues.)

DVI is hard to configure. Can you get a hdmi or DisplayPort to DVI adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back