Contribute
Register

Adding AMD 280x graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was able to boot into Sierra for the first time tonight after renaming the rom file. Not sure what happened but after I rebooted, it got stuck again. My question is how do I set it up so that on each reboot, clover will automatically inject ATI and load vBIOS to get back into Sierra.

IT WORKED!!!!!
so heres what I did, booted with internal graphics and I downloaded an asus driver for their version of the 280x. I changed the name of that .rom to be [vendornumber]_[deviceid].rom. So it was the xfx vendor number and then my particular device ID. I used clover configurator to mount my EFI partition and added that .rom file to EFI/CLOVER/ROM. Then in clover I had it inject ATI and I selected Load VBIOS. I rebooted went into my motherboards bios and changed it from internal graphics to PCIE graphics and rebooted! Sure enough it worked! Thanks so much for all your help guys!

Can you please post you plist?? Im having trouble, I can boot but my card is running slow. I added the rom file in clover, but It didnt work. Should I try other rom files? Also if I uncheck the inject intel option it wont boot.
Also, si there anything else you did in the clover boot loader? I have to change manuali the fake id everytime I boot on the graphics part.
I'm new, I'm lost and a little frustrated by now.
I have the same video card and mobo is z170x with f20 bios

Last edited:
I started over with a clean install of 10.12.3. I followed exactly the directions from conath 12/15/2016, The "Unintentional Hack Pro"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-gaming-skylake-i5-6500-macos-10-12-3.209909/
His instructions are like many others.
My MoBo is different (GIGABYTE Z170X-UD5 TH) and the brand of the RX 480, mine is Sapphire.
I used iMac 14,2 in MultiBeast.

It all worked.

I have acceleration and metal is supported. I had never been able to patch the AMDRadeonX4100.kext and have it reboot. This time it did work. I have to change the HDMI cable after clover at bootup. I did the other things mentioned in his post including the KextsToPatch in the config.plist file. That did not change the incorrect name (as expected) in the System Information and it is still AMD R9 xxx 8192 MB.
Resolve Studio and FCPX 10.3.2 both work.

Next, add the second RX 480 for Resolve rendering.
Maybe Thunderbolt, which does work in Windows 10 Pro on a separate drive.

Last edited:
I started over with a clean install of 10.12.3. I followed exactly the directions from conath 12/15/2016, The "Unintentional Hack Pro"
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-gaming-skylake-i5-6500-macos-10-12-3.209909/
My MoBo is different (GIGABYTE Z170X-UD5 TH) and the brand of the RX 480, mine is Sapphire.

It all worked.

I have acceleration and metal is supported. I had never been able to patch the AMDRadeonX4100.kext and have it reboot. This time it did work. I have to change the HDMI cable after clover at bootup. I did the other things mentioned in his post including the KextsToPatch in the config.plist file. That did not change the incorrect name (as expected) in the System Information and it is still AMD R9 xxx 8192 MB.

Well adding the second RX 480 didn't work. Black Screen. I heard the 480(s) do its little rattle sound meaning the drivers kicked in but no display on either card. If I plug into the internal video, I see the white Apple and the progress bar stuck at about 80%.

Last edited:
My MB is different (GIGABYTE Z170X-UD5 TH) and the brand of the RX 480, mine is Sapphire.

It all worked.

Thunderbolt is working. I am using the Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter. I am using a Lacie External TB2 enclosure.
Nothing special in the BIOS except that I used No Security in security settings for Thunderbolt.
Thunderbolt does not appear in About This Mac with the drive mounted on the Desktop.

Last edited:
Can you please post you plist?? Im having trouble, I can boot but my card is running slow. I added the rom file in clover, but It didnt work. Should I try other rom files? Also if I uncheck the inject intel option it wont boot.
Also, si there anything else you did in the clover boot loader? I have to change manuali the fake id everytime I boot on the graphics part.
I'm new, I'm lost and a little frustrated by now.
I have the same video card and mobo is z170x with f20 bios
For security reasons I prefer not to post the whole config.plist since it has serial numbers and such. I will however tell you all graphics related things that are in the config.
in ACPI check HDMI
Boot has dart=0
Graphics has load VBios and Inject ATI
It is possible that your pcie lanes are not fully accelerated, however I am not the right person to help you solve that issue. If the things listed above do not work, try a couple other .ROM files, and if that still does not work, see if you get proper graphics speeds with IGPU. If not, it's most likely your PCIE lanes.

I have dual XFX R9 280x cards. I had the same issued of it loading 2/3 of the way and then stalling. I got mine working a completely different way. I found a vbios for them on this site. I went into my windows side. I loaded the vbios, and then booted to OSX and it worked. However, mine say AMD 7xxx, and i have some erratic behvior in final cut. it's super slow at rendering. Gets glitchy on multicam clips. In fact, my 2015 MBP that only had integrated graphics worked smother than this new hack build.
So I finally got it all up and running. Simply put, I just needed to configure all my settings in multibeast/clover (as well as the nvme spoof) with both cards out. After setting up, I reinserted the cards, and booted up. You won't see any booting info on screen, but eventually it brings up OS X login. So glad I got it working without the need for vbios.

Here's a question, though. How can I verify both cards are recognized and working? I see one card only in system reports, but I don't know if that's how OS X functions. I want to make sure FCPX takes advantage of both gpus.

I have an XFX 480 that I just bought in an attempt to get an easier solution than using my 1080Ti in High Sierra.

I keep get black screens/freezing on boot. I discovered this thread after trying suggestions from other posts which, so far, haven't worked (add lilu & wintergreen kexts, disable and remove Nvidia drivers and kexts, do a clean install from scratch, etc.)

I'm thinking it may be the XFX card. Maybe the VBIOS issue. Does the above info apply to High Sierra?

Or, is it just simpler to buy another brand? I have a week to return this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back