Contribute
Register

Adding AMD 280x graphics card

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my second Hackintosh. First was several years ago.
This thread is an interesting read.

My graphics card is a Sapphiere RX 480. MB is a GA-Z170X-UD5 TH (rev. 1.0), Bios is f20. Operating system is Sierra 10.12.3.

I downloaded this Rom from TechPowerUp: Gigabyte.RX480.8192.160603_1.rom
I changed the name to 1002_67DF.rom and put it in the EFI ROM folder. Injected it in Clover.
It made no difference.
Before that I seemed to have 2D (not sure) but no OpenGL or 3D acceleration. FCP 10.3.2 and Resolve Studio will not open.
I have tried patching the 4100 Kext (many times) but always ending up with a black screen. I used Kext Utility for permissions.
That's why this thread is something I would prefer to follow.
I have a second Sapphire RX 480 card not installed and still in the box. I wanted to get the one working before I installed it.
My other computer is a (2013) Mac Pro. I was just trying to do better.

Did you configure your iGPU as primary graphics device in your BIOS? It's mandatory to disable any pre-OS video output on the Radoen GPU to make it work in macOS.
I have tried it both ways. Enabled and Disabled.

Did the screen stay black during boot phase? It has to, otherwise the macOS drivers will crash.
No. The white Apple shows, then the progress bar for about ⅔, then it goes black until the desktop.

That's expected behavior, the GPU won't work in macOS when it was initialized by the UEFI.

This can usually be prevented by configuring the iGPU as primary. Make sure any "Multi Display" settings in the UEFI setup are disabled, also try toggling CSM setting.

That's expected behavior, the GPU won't work in macOS when it was initialized by the UEFI.

This can usually be prevented by configuring the iGPU as primary. Make sure any "Multi Display" settings in the UEFI setup are disabled, also try toggling CSM setting.
Thanks so much. I'll give that a try.

Thanks so much. I'll give that a try.
In Bios I made the IGPU as Primary. There is no Multi Display Setting in UEFI. Also there is no CSM in Other system but there is in Win 8/10 system.
I booted up blind on the Display connector to my monitor. After about 4 minutes of a black screen, I plugged in the HDMI internal connector and switched inputs on my monitor. There had been kernel panics involving the graphics, though too fast to read and reboots that I couldn't see.
This is certainly different. I guess the software that was not being loaded previously was trying to load, and crashed with a kernel panic, if that makes since.
I was thinking of not using the EFI Rom file injection to see if that changes anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back