Register

Adding + a Printer always Fails in Lion

• Thread starter Deleted member 188658
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 188658

I attempted to build a Hachintosh last month using Multibeast and iBoot, using the older methodology of starting with Leopard and then upgrading to Lion. I has numerous problems with that attempt, but one thing that worked like a champ was that when I went to add a printer (System Preferences/Printer & Scanner ) the system found my networked HP Photosmart printer, installed the Driver and later updated through Apple Software updater the latest HP Printer Download. I had a nice printer and scanner working. However there were too many other things wrong so when Tony Mac came through with the UniBeast direct install to Lion I decided to go that way.

I completely erased the previous install of Lion, and repartitioned the boot drive. I installed Lion again and used a CustomBeast from Tony Mac to get 95% functionality.

One of my current issues is that this install does NOT see the networked HP Photosmart when I go to add a Printer. I downloaded the HP Printer Drivers from Apple and manually installed them. I then manually added the printer using the static IP address and manually forced / selected the Printer software. The printer now prints from Apps. However the Scanner function is completely missing. Uninstalling the printer and various hacks didn't help. Lion now never recognizes the network Printer.

The Printer is reasonably new and is connected through a Router to my wireless network. I attempted to Add the printer in a) 32 bit and b) 64 bit modes. Same result. I removed the network dongle and ran a Enet cable all the way to the wireless router and plugged it in alongside the printer. Same issues, can't Add the printer.

This worked 4+ weeks ago, using the same printer and router connections. What could the causes be now? Remember I have the latest HP package from Apple installed too. The HP Utility in the package can go out and see the printer automatically, but it DOES not install the printer. The only way appears to force it manually like I described above.

Any suggestions?

Anybody any advice I getting my Hachintosh to add this printer automatically?

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

:crazy:

Come on, someone must have some suggestion on why + Printer can't find my HP Photosmart?

tecemac said:
:crazy:

Come on, someone must have some suggestion on why + Printer can't find my HP Photosmart?

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I am having similar issues trying to get my HP Photosmart C3180 to work. I could not add the printer automatically in Lion but manually downloading the printer drivers and software got this working... sort of. Now when I print anything the printer goes into Reserve Mode and pauses-- when I resume, it finishes the job... and prints a second copy. :(

Unfortunately, the scanner portion of the print software does not work -- I always get an error "Failed to open a session on the device".

Perhaps there's another kext out there that I should load?? Thanks in advance.

I had the same problem, everything was working, but my computer couldn't see the printer for some reason. I have a HP OfficeJet 6480. Very strange because everything else was working fine. I uninstalled the Printer, and when I tried to re-install it, Lion couldn't see it. I could print fine from all my other computers (including my Macbook Pro)

Then I remembered that my Macbook Pro had some strange "coming out of sleep" issues, which were solved by re-setting the network from the command line. So I tried that and it worked.

All you have to do is...

Code:
sudo ifconfig en0 down

...and just like that Lion saw the printer and could add it.

Same fix worked when Lion couldn't see the printer when coming out of sleep.

I think it's a general Lion network driver issue, rather than a Hackintosh issue.

Good Luck!

johnnycanuck said:
I had the same problem, everything was working, but my computer couldn't see the printer for some reason. I have a HP OfficeJet 6480. Very strange because everything else was working fine. I uninstalled the Printer, and when I tried to re-install it, Lion couldn't see it. I could print fine from all my other computers (including my Macbook Pro)

Then I remembered that my Macbook Pro had some strange "coming out of sleep" issues, which were solved by re-setting the network from the command line. So I tried that and it worked.

All you have to do is...

Code:
sudo ifconfig en0 down

...and just like that Lion saw the printer and could add it.

Same fix worked when Lion couldn't see the printer when coming out of sleep.

I think it's a general Lion network driver issue, rather than a Hackintosh issue.

Good Luck!

Hey thanks for posting a possible solution?

I forced/manually installed the HP Printer as a solution but all the nice features such as Scanner and Memory Cards are missing in that install.

If I were to use your solution, should I un-install the current printer, i.e remove it from the Printer Queue first?

Or should I just run your suggestion and attempt a find?

Thanks again for the Post. I had given up hope!

Fix works!

One thing that did trip me up, was that one has to re-enable the en0 after turning it off. :p

sudo ifconfig en0 up

Following that the HP Utility was able to find the printer.

Still not the Apple System Preferences - Printer search. Only the HP Utility app.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back