Contribute
Register

ADD WINDOWS 10 BOOT EFI AFTER INSTALLED OS X & CLOVER UEFI Simple

Status
Not open for further replies.
THANK YOU FOR THIS GUIDE!

I have 1 HDD and on that disk I have El Capitan and Windows 10 (installed using UEFI mode). After the installation of Windows I had Microsoft folder in my EFI partition, but renaming bootmgfw.efi to something else brought back booting to Clover, BUT I couldn't boot Windows from Clover (only got blinking cursor). Now thanks to your guide, I launched Windows (by renaming bootmgfw_orig.efi back to bootmgfw.efi so that my PC booted directly to Windows) and pasted that command into CMD. Then I just lunched OS X and renamed bootmgfw to bootmgrw_orig and... now it works!

Though now I have TWO Windows booting options in Clover and one of them works (it's the one generated by CMD command) and the other does not (it's the old one that appeared after i installed Windows). How to remove the old one from the system?

Right Steps :
  1. Boot windows 10/8.1/8 [ In Legacy Mode ].
  2. Open Command Prompt [CMD] as administrator
  3. Insert Command :
    Code:
    bcdboot C:\Windows /s C: /f uefi
  4. Now Go to C drive and then open EFI folder .
  5. Copy all the contents into a usb drive [ mainly there are two folder : "Boot" & "Microsoft" ]
  6. Restart PC/Notebook , set Boot Mode to UEFI.
  7. Boot OSX/MacOS & Mount EFI Partition using Clover configurator or Using Finder-Preference.
  8. Open USB drive and go to Boot folder & Rename "bootx64.efi" to "BOOTX64-win.efi"
  9. Now open the EFI Partition , Then Open EFI folder & Copy "BOOTX64-win.efi" to BOOT Folder.
  10. Go to USB drive again & Copy Microsoft folder to EFI Folder of EFI Partition you mounted. Now you will have 4 folders inside EFI i.e. "Apple", "Boot", "Clover" & "Microsoft".
  11. Restart your MAC & choose Windows option from clover bootmenu.

FIX For Only Windows Loading :
After these steps is quite possible that your Notebook/PC is only Booting Windows Partition or drive , to fix it follow theses steps:

1. Go to Bios Setting.
  2. Found option like "Add NEW Boot Entry" [ option only available after setting boot mode to UFEI ]
  3. Add Name (Your Choice) & Path = " EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi "
  4. Save setting and reboot again into BIOS.
  5. Move Your this new Boot Entry in Top of Your Boot Mode or Boot Priority .
  6. Save BIOS Setting and Restart Normally.

I'd like to personally thank you for this quick guide.

I have been researching this and trying different ways to regain my Win 10 drive after I updated my set up to El Cap and Clover. For the life of me I could not get Clover to even see my Win drive.

This was spot on :)
Mad love from the eel on this and when I update my build thread I will link you post here.

Danke

Right Steps :
  1. Boot windows 10/8.1/8 [ In Legacy Mode ].
  2. Open Command Prompt [CMD] as administrator
  3. Insert Command :
    Code:
    bcdboot C:\Windows /s C: /f uefi
  4. Now Go to C drive and then open EFI folder .
  5. Copy all the contents into a usb drive [ mainly there are two folder : "Boot" & "Microsoft" ]
  6. Restart PC/Notebook , set Boot Mode to UEFI.
  7. Boot OSX/MacOS & Mount EFI Partition using Clover configurator or Using Finder-Preference.
  8. Open USB drive and go to Boot folder & Rename "bootx64.efi" to "BOOTX64-win.efi"
  9. Now open the EFI Partition , Then Open EFI folder & Copy "BOOTX64-win.efi" to BOOT Folder.
  10. Go to USB drive again & Copy Microsoft folder to EFI Folder of EFI Partition you mounted. Now you will have 4 folders inside EFI i.e. "Apple", "Boot", "Clover" & "Microsoft".
  11. Restart your MAC & choose Windows option from clover bootmenu.

FIX For Only Windows Loading :
After these steps is quite possible that your Notebook/PC is only Booting Windows Partition or drive , to fix it follow theses steps:

1. Go to Bios Setting.
  2. Found option like "Add NEW Boot Entry" [ option only available after setting boot mode to UFEI ]
  3. Add Name (Your Choice) & Path = " EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi "
  4. Save setting and reboot again into BIOS.
  5. Move Your this new Boot Entry in Top of Your Boot Mode or Boot Priority .
  6. Save BIOS Setting and Restart Normally.
Hi,

Followed all these steps but now I'm stuck on the motherboard boot screen or select any options such as DEL or F12 for BIOS

THANK YOU FOR THIS GUIDE!

I have 1 HDD and on that disk I have El Capitan and Windows 10 (installed using UEFI mode). After the installation of Windows I had Microsoft folder in my EFI partition, but renaming bootmgfw.efi to something else brought back booting to Clover, BUT I couldn't boot Windows from Clover (only got blinking cursor). Now thanks to your guide, I launched Windows (by renaming bootmgfw_orig.efi back to bootmgfw.efi so that my PC booted directly to Windows) and pasted that command into CMD. Then I just lunched OS X and renamed bootmgfw to bootmgrw_orig and... now it works!

Though now I have TWO Windows booting options in Clover and one of them works (it's the one generated by CMD command) and the other does not (it's the old one that appeared after i installed Windows). How to remove the old one from the system?

Can you run me through this please?

I'm running the same OS's as you. Both on one HDD

I find I enjoy helping other OS X self builder's and enthusiasts with their systems after I've been helped many times myself by this very community. This is a "straight to the point" guide, not "how I did it guide".

HERE WE GO

This guide has no guarantee it will work for you as it did for me. Use this information at your own risk.

This all inclusive guide is targeted for helping others using UEFI booting of Windows 10 alongside their OS X using the Clover boot loader 'UEFI' option installed on the OS X partition through latest EL Captain Multi-beast version 8xx. If you're using Clover legacy boot settings this guide won't be for you . . . .

so again --->'Not For Legacy Booting' nor older motherboards that don't have ability for UEFI booting.

It is most important that your bios settings are all properly set for UEFI booting. tonymacx86 has plenty of members in this community that have already posted guides to explain how to properly set up your Bios for UEFI boot so I won't be spending any time explaining this.

THE PROBLEM:

You post installed CLOVER UEFI boot loader to your OS X partition, achieved booting OS X UEFI but Windows 10 you can't.

THE DESIRE:

You want the holy grail. The same ability to boot your Windows 10 from the Clover boot loader just like OS X.

HERE'S HOW:

Attached bottom of this post is a zip file containing the proper configured Windows 10 UEFI contents for adding to your Clover boot installation within your permanent OS X partition. Download the zip file and open it. Once zip file is opened reveals the main folder. Inside you'll discover 2 objects. #1 A folder labled 'Microsoft' and #2 a Windows BOOTX64-win.efi file. I'll explain later in steps #9 and #10 for exactly where to place these items. Once completed you should have no problem booting Windows 10 from your Clover boot loader UEFI installation equally without hiccup just like booting OS X from that same Clover UEFI installation.

This guide designed for simplicity of how to rather an explanation as to why.

1. Boot into Windows 10 directly by using keyboard hot key such as F8 or F12 (you likely require the bios boot settings being switched back to the legacy boot options 1st in order to do this.)

2. Once booted back into Windows 10. Open command window 'run as administrator'

3. enter command: bcdboot C:\Windows /s C: /f uefi

4. You should then see a following message "Boot files successfully created". 1st step success!

5. Restart computer, enter bios & reset the bios legacy boot settings back to UEFI boot settings if need be.

6. Clover boot options should now be back. Now boot into OS X El Captain or your whatever OS X installation.

7. You now should see a Windows 10 drive and possibly a reserve drive mounted on the OS X desktop. Leave them there.

8. Using an EFI mounter like 'Clover configurator' mount OS X 'EFI' partition. Follow next 2 steps as specified.

9. Open the mounted 'EFI' drive/folder on the OS X desktop then simply drag the attached entire 'Microsoft' folder inside that 'EFI' folder. Don't mess with any contents within 'Microsoft' folder. It is configured to boot Windows 10 UEFI. Just drag the folder as specified.

For those who are still newbies learning your way around OS X and have attempted to mount your EFI drive/folder but do not see it mounted on your desktop try this:

A. Open Finder (smiley face square icon bottom of your desktop)
B. Now left click the actual word 'Finder' located at top left corner of your desktop for revealing a list of selactable options.
C. Select Preferences
D. Under 'show these items under desktop' make sure 'Hard Disks' is checked (EFI drive should now be seen mounted on desktop)

10. Now take BOOTX64-win.efi and drag that file into the 'BOOT' folder sitting inside underneath same 'EFI' folder. You now are completely done.

11. Other Points Need Mentioned to avoid mistakes. Underneath 'EFI' folder make sure you put nothing in the Apple or Clover folders. Leave them alone. The Microsoft folder should now be seen listed or being grouped among APPLE, BOOT & CLOVER folders under 'EFI' after you dragged it there. The only file you'll put within another folder is placing BOOTX64-win.efi inside that 'BOOT' folder sitting inside the "EFI' folder.

12. You can unmount Windows 10 or any mounted partitioner for that matter on the OS X desktop simply by right clicking then selecting 'eject' from the list.

13. Hopefully now a restart back into the Clover provide you booting options either OS X or Windows without problem.

I hope this simple explanation for multiboot of OS X and Windows works for you. God Bless.
My issue is I can't get past Step 1. can't boot back into my Windows SSD (pervasively all was working fine until I update Clover, I can from Clover boot into either system). I can tell there are still files there, but not able to follow your directions (even un plugged all drives but the one windows was installed on : ). I can even see the boot files like you have in your zip and the EFI on the Windows drive viewing from my Mac.

Drives.png

WinEFI.png

My issue is I can't get past Step 1. can't boot back into my Windows SSD (pervasively all was working fine until I update Clover, I can from Clover boot into either system). I can tell there are still files there, but not able to follow your directions (even un plugged all drives but the one windows was installed on : ). I can even see the boot files like you have in your zip and the EFI on the Windows drive viewing from my Mac.
You are saying the Clover update changed the name of your Windows drive from SSD Win to untitled?
Are you able to boot the Windows drive if you hotkey in at boot and select it from the drive list in UEFI/BIOS?

You are saying the Clover update changed the name of your Windows drive from SSD Win to untitled?
Are you able to boot the Windows drive if you hotkey in at boot and select it from the drive list in UEFI/BIOS?

ERASE and RESTART or Not??

Hi again (and thanks for the multiple replies to various posts that include this specific issue, I'll try and keep all conversation here as it looks like the right place). NO, I've tried selecting the drive alone (including unplugging all but this drive), if I select it from the BIOS it just comes up to a black screen with blinking cursor, if I un-plug all you can see standard, "Reboot and Select Proper Boot device... etc.. As you can see from the screen shot above, the partition drive is there (again not sure how it was renamed from SSD Win to untitled) complete with all files including the EFI folder.

If there's anything anyone can think of (besides starting all over) let me know. Assuming if I do need to start over I should reformat via Mac Disk Utility, erase and format MSDOS/Fat etc. I do have a USB boot with the Windows ISO.

Last edited:
ERASE and RESTART or Not??

Hi again (and thanks for the multiple replies to various posts that include this specific issue, I'll try and keep all conversation here as it looks like the right place). NO, I've tried selecting the drive alone (including unplugging all but this drive), if I select it from the BIOS it just comes up to a black screen with blinking cursor, if I un-plug all you can see standard, "Reboot and Select Proper Boot device... etc.. As you can see from the screen shot above, the partition drive is there (again not sure how it was renamed from SSD Win to untitled) complete with all files including the EFI folder.

If there's anything anyone can think of (besides starting all over) let me know. Assuming if I do need to start over I should reformat via Mac Disk Utility, erase and format MSDOS/Fat etc. I do have a USB boot with the Windows ISO.
Do not format the Windows drive MSDOS FAT - it creates a hybrid GPT+/MBR partition and forces Legacy mode installation od Windows. Best thing you can do at this point is to install from scratch. If you use OS X Disk utility to preformat the drive, format ti the same as if you were installing OS X. See the pinned guide for MultiBooting OS X/Win10 in the MultiBooting Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back