Contribute
Register

Add Support for XFX 6850 ZCFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you make work the xfx 6850 zcfc in mountain lion?

Did someone make the XFX ATI HD 6850 zcfc model work in Mountain Lion? Please Help!

I actually have two XFX 6850 cards which are just a tiny bit different and one is in my Mac Pro and the other is in my Core i5 G5 Case Mod. When I bought them I did not realize that there was more than one version of the XFX 6850. ( I bought them from two different people on eBay ).
One is the ZNFC model and the other is the ZCFC model.
The ZNFC is installed and working well in my Mac Pro 1.1 running Snow Leopard 10.6.8.
The ZCFC is installed in my Core i5 G5 Case Mod Hackintosh also running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. ( I'm actively avoiding Lion ).
This explains why I get great problems when I use Graphics Enabler = Yes on my Hackintosh.
( Black Screen, Demonic Chanting, Human Sacrifice and just general all round bad stuff! ).

I have thought about swapping the cards about. This would mean that I could have at least one of my machines ( the Hackintosh ) running with the correct personality.
This sadly brings me back to the point about them being slightly different though. My Mac Pro runs three displays which I really do need for work. It does so using an active display adapter connected to the display port and the other two screens on the DVI ports.
The ZCFC Card does not have a normal Display Port, instead it has two Mini Display Ports which I do not have an adapter for. I also get the feeling that you may not need to use an active adapter for these Mini Display Ports. ( Just the way it talks about them on the box. I cold be wrong though ).

So enough rambling from me.....
Bottom line is that I have got the XFX 6850 ZCFC Card running pretty close to perfect ( the Apple DVD Player Crash Problem being the only flaw I can find ) in my Core i5 Hackintosh. To achieve this what I have done is boot with Graphics Enabler = No and I have used the ATY_Init.kext .
Up Side = It Works! ( Yay! ).
Down Side = I'm stuck with Apples Limited List of Personalities, a very small list. ( Boo! Hiss! ).
I hope that this helps.
As for Lion, ATY_Init.kext does work so maybe you could give it a try.
Incidentally I am also using ATY_Init.kext on my Mac Pro 1.1 as well.
On my Mac Pro with the ZNFC Card I get the occasional graphics glitch in the form of little draw error artifacts. Most noticeable when I first load up my widgets. This glitch is not in evidence on the ZCFC Card in my Hackintosh though.

Best of luck!

Hello! I also have a XFX 6850 ZCFC, but I'm having a hard time to make 10.6.8 run on my Hackintosh.

Did you do anything else to make your graphics card work with Snow Leopard? What Multibeast settings did you use? (if you used Multibeast at all, I mean :-D)

Thanks a lot!

[EDIT]

I forgot to mention: I can only boot my system on safe mode (-x -v BootCache=No GraphicsEnabler=No PCIRootUID=1), which does not give me acces to USB nor Internet.

[/EDIT]

You will have to boot with 'graphics enabler=no' and then install the Kext I mentioned using earlier.
As for USB and Internet these are nothing to do with you graphics card and depend on your Motherboard/Network Card.
For getting those things sorted I would advise Multibeast as your first port of call. Get the manual for your Motherboard and look up what chipsets it uses and then look for those options in Multibeast. If you you still have problems then look on the forums for any discussions regarding your motherboard.

Thank you! I will try this next weekend and post the results here!

I hope I can do this from the Hackintosh....

I flashed XFX 6850 ZCFC to XFX 6870 ZHFC bios (same ). It works in mountain lion.

I have tested the connects, DVI and display port work.

MacMan,

Thank you so much for the excellent work.
I tested 2 XFX ATI 6850 cards

XFX 6850 ZNFC works OOB. 2 DVI ports work, HDMI also works
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150505

But for XFX 6850 ZCFC, Nothing works, neither of 2 DVI, nor 2 mini DisplayPorts.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814150573

The first one ( 0x6739, 0x31101682), it is in Chimera list (ati.c source file)
The second one (0x6739, 0x31171682) is not.
Could you add it to ati.c, then release new version of Chimera?

I know a lot of people reporting XFX 6850 ZCFC does not work at all, and return the product to vendor/retailer. I encounter the same problem.
Really appreciated ---
I am expecting new version of Chimera will support XFX 6850ZCFC!!!

How did you make the flash bios???:(

Go to techpowerup, download bios for XFX 6870 ZHFC

http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/106421/XFX.HD6870.1024.110804.html

And then use ATI bios flash tool like
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/Utilities/BIOS_Flashing/ATI/

To flash 6850 ZCFC to 6870 ZHFC.

6870 ZHFC is supported by mac OS X 10.8 right away. ZCFC and ZHFC use the same card design, connectors etc.

Make sure you read some online tutorial on how to properly flash a video card bios.

Amazing job, I am just wondering about the frequency: 6870 ZHFC is based on 900 Mhz, 6850 ZCFC is 775Mhz. it is overclocked after 6850 ZCFC is flashed to 6870 ZHFC.

Any freezing issue after long time run, or any stress test on it to make sure it is stable?

Thank you again for this wonderful try.

-Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back