Contribute
Register

Add existing Windows 7 install to Clover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte UP5-TH
CPU
Graphics
ATI 7950
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello,

I just installed Yosemite with Clover. Install went smoothly, however my Windows boot partition is not appearing in the clover boot menu. Windows exists on its own SSD, and Yosemite exists on its own SSD. I also have several NTFS-formatted drive for use in Windows.

The NTFS drives are showing up in Clover, but my Windows drive is not.

How can I boot my windows install through Clover?

Hello,

I just installed Yosemite with Clover. Install went smoothly, however my Windows boot partition is not appearing in the clover boot menu. Windows exists on its own SSD, and Yosemite exists on its own SSD. I also have several NTFS-formatted drive for use in Windows.

The NTFS drives are showing up in Clover, but my Windows drive is not.

How can I boot my windows install through Clover?
How many NTFS drives and how many NTFS icons do you see at the Clover boot screen?
What are the labels of the NTFS icons as you use the arrow keys to hi-lite/select each NTFS icon?
Is the Win7 installed Legacy mode or UEFI mode?

How many NTFS drives and how many NTFS icons do you see at the Clover boot screen?
What are the labels of the NTFS icons as you use the arrow keys to hi-lite/select each NTFS icon?
Is the Win7 installed Legacy mode or UEFI mode?

I'm unsure if W7 was installed in Legacy or UEFI -- I installed it years ago just via USB, just did all the default options, nothing fancy during installation. In order to boot into Windows I need to press F12 during boot and manually select the drive (drive0), whereas I see "Mac OS X" listed in the menu, so I assume Windows was installed legacy.

The boot options in clover are:

* "Boot Windows from Legacy HD1"
* "Boot Windows from Legacy HD2"
* "Boot Mac OS X from Yosemite"
* "Boot Recovery from Recovery HD"

I've tried all of the "Boot Windows from Legacy X" options but none of them get me into windows, they just bring me to a black screen with an underscore character _ blinking in the upper left corner.

I've tried all of the "Boot Windows from Legacy X" options but none of them get me into windows, they just bring me to a black screen with an underscore character _ blinking in the upper left corner.
Try this and see if it works for you - this is a change from back in 2012 so it might have been lost to noobs.

In the config.plist in the Boot section there is

<key>LegacyBoot</key>
<string>PBR</string>

replace PBR with LegacyBIOSDefault and see if that takes care of the problem.

I believe I met the same problem, my windows should be installed as legacy mode, and it's gone after I switch to clover.

Have you resolved problem?

I believe I met the same problem, my windows should be installed as legacy mode, and it's gone after I switch to clover.

Have you resolved problem?

If Windows is installed Legacy mode then the only way I have found to boot it from Clover is if you install Clover Legacy mode also.
In testing, I have found that Clover Legacy will boot Windows Legacy and Windows UEFI, but Clover UEFI will only boot Windows UEFI - it will not boot Windows Legacy at all no matter what I did.

Sounds like you guys may be able to help me...

So I had everything working before my upgrade to Clover whereby I had the option to boot 'System Reserved' and it would boot me into Windows 7. Now I've moved to Clover I 'see' the same option i.e. System Reserved and Windows Legacy (along with my other SSD which is 10.11, it's Clone and the Rescue). If I select either of the Windows options then I get a blank screen with a flashing cursor.

I've placed NTFS.efi in the correct folder but it's made no difference (I see the same disks as before). What am I doing wrong?

Cheers for any help.

diskutil list shows the following if it helps:

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk0
1: Apple_HFS 1TB Data 1.0 TB disk0s1
/dev/disk1 (internal, physical):
0: FDisk_partition_scheme *250.1 GB disk1
1: Windows_NTFS System Reserved 104.9 MB disk1s1
2: Windows_NTFS 250.0 GB disk1s2
/dev/disk2 (internal, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *250.1 GB disk2
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1
2: Apple_HFS OSXSSD 249.2 GB disk2s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk2s3
/dev/disk3 (internal, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk3
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk3s1
2: Apple_HFS MacHSSD 1.0 TB disk3s2
3: Apple_HFS Untitled 2 999.7 GB disk3s3
/dev/disk4 (internal, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk4
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk4s1
2: Apple_HFS DATA-WORK1 999.9 GB disk4s2
/dev/disk5 (internal, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk5
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk5s1
2: Apple_HFS 1TB Disk - Clone 999.3 GB disk5s2
/dev/disk6 (internal, physical):
0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk6
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk6s1
2: Microsoft Basic Data ExFAT 1000.0 GB disk6s2

Sounds like you guys may be able to help me...

So I had everything working before my upgrade to Clover whereby I had the option to boot 'System Reserved' and it would boot me into Windows 7. Now I've moved to Clover I 'see' the same option i.e. System Reserved and Windows Legacy (along with my other SSD which is 10.11, it's Clone and the Rescue). If I select either of the Windows options then I get a blank screen with a flashing cursor.

Windows is installed Legacy mode. Either convert it to UEFI mode or re-install it UEFI mode or install Clover in Legacy mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back