2. iBook
  3. iMac
  4. LC
  5. Power Mac
  6. PowerBook
  7. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I have an older ADC Cinema Display with an adapter connected with DVI and USB. It is known that Apple has removed all "Legacy" displays from Mavericks. As for now this kext works, the brightness slider is back, with the brightness button on the display launching System Preferences. There is the inability to uncheck "Disable brightness buttons", however it still works, no matter if left checked or unchecked. (If it is unchecked, when launching the display preference it will be checked again). At this time it is only tested up to 10.9.2. (as it is the latest to this date) I am unsure how to add it to the Mavericks kext as the actual binary is much smaller in size, it may just require adding it to the info.plist, but highly doubt it. I am willing to test out any modified kexts for Mavericks. I can post any information for my display necessary if anyone is up for the challenge. I may attempt to modify the Mavericks kext, as I have a small understanding of what I need to do, however it is not a priority since the brightness actually works.

This should also work with most real Macs. Also, it may have issues on any "real Mac", or with an Apple Display built after 10-13-2013.

This also

I have attached the kext I have currently working.

Attachments

• 10.9.2 ADB Brightness.kext.zip
    30.7 KB · Views: 486
I have an older ADC Cinema Display with an adapter connected with DVI and USB. It is known that Apple has removed all "Legacy" displays from Mavericks. As for now this kext works, the brightness slider is back, with the brightness button on the display launching System Preferences. There is the inability to uncheck "Disable brightness buttons", however it still works, no matter if left checked or unchecked. (If it is unchecked, when launching the display preference it will be checked again). At this time it is only tested up to 10.9.2. (as it is the latest to this date) I am unsure how to add it to the Mavericks kext as the actual binary is much smaller in size, it may just require adding it to the info.plist, but highly doubt it. I am willing to test out any modified kexts for Mavericks. I can post any information for my display necessary if anyone is up for the challenge. I may attempt to modify the Mavericks kext, as I have a small understanding of what I need to do, however it is not a priority since the brightness actually works.

This should also work with most real Macs. Also, it may have issues on any "real Mac", or with an Apple Display built after 10-13-2013.

This also

I have attached the kext I have currently working.
Hello, is there a update for this to work with Sierra? I love my display and this worked for previous versions great. This kext will not install on Sierra (System extension cannot be used). Thanks!!

I'm sorry, but unfortunately I do not think there is a way to make it work as Apple changes things. This was just the kext from an older version of OSX. I do not know if the source code is available for it, and someone could compile it for Sierra. I have a few other things preoccupying my time right now, but I will look and see if there is anything I can do to make it work, in the next few weeks. I haven't used an older Apple monitor in a few years so I totally forgot about this.

Is there a kindness to look upon a potential solution to this? I'd just bought myself a replacement 23" ADC to my older 22" which I injured during a move to a new apartment and I was surprised to find out that there is no effective way to change the brightness. Even though I noticed the dissapeared brightness HUD UI in macOS for that other display a while back the buttons still worked, so I paid no attention to it.

I also have an acrylic ADC 23" Cinema Display I still use because of its looks and it still works perfectly :) The kext replacement worked fine on Yosemite and I recently upgraded to Mojave and discovered the kext replacement has no effect in Mojave. If anyone has found a solution to get the brightness controls back into System Preferences, please let me know, thank you!!

Hello, as the previous solutions had no effects with my MBP 9,2 running on 10.13.6 High Sierra connected to a ADC Cinema Display 23", if found this :

1. Connect the monitor to an old Mac running an OSX which can manage the brightness (10.4 in my case).
2. Put the brightness at the max level.
3. Turn off and connect the monitor to the actual computer.
4. Download Screenshade and you'll manage to control the brigthness.

Note : you can skip steps 1-3 but if you do so, the maximum brightness with Screenshade will be the last brightness level the monitor memorized with an OS which managed its brightness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back