Contribute
Register

adamsmasher's Haswell Build: GA-Z87X-UD3H - i7-4770K - HD4600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, built this build today. 10.8.5. Pretty much identical apart from my i7 4790 cpu and Corsair Vengance 16gb Ram (2x8gb) cml16gx3m2a1600c10 & EVG430W PSU (wich does say its hasswell certified on their website)

Had a pretty scary start to the build where I realised I needed to update the bios from F3 to F9 to support the Hasswell refresh CPU's... so I had to order myself an i3 4330 just to update the bios. Luckily amazon's return policy helped me get around this without being the most expensive bios update ever.

Everything went smoothly however on first boot into the HDD after loading up the multibeast settings, the white screen with the apple logo froze up (without the apple logo) and left me with my mouse cursor in the top left hand corner but was able to move around the spinning beachball. A quick restart fixed this...

Now it seems that every so often on restarting the computer the system just freezes totally on the login screen. I can see all the icons, password box but am unable to get any response from the system and sometimes back to the white screen with the spinning beachball which im able to move around... The only thing that solves this is a hard reboot.

I've noticed that when I put the machine to sleep, it will literally power down for all of 1 second then wakes itself back up straight away.

Other than that the system seems to run fine so far, haven't had any hang ups or freezes once i get past the login screen.

Any suggestions welcomed :)

Thank you

Hey all, built this build today. 10.8.5. Pretty much identical apart from my i7 4790 cpu and Corsair Vengance 16gb Ram (2x8gb) cml16gx3m2a1600c10 & EVG430W PSU (wich does say its hasswell certified on their website)

Had a pretty scary start to the build where I realised I needed to update the bios from F3 to F9 to support the Hasswell refresh CPU's... so I had to order myself an i3 4330 just to update the bios. Luckily amazon's return policy helped me get around this without being the most expensive bios update ever.

Everything went smoothly however on first boot into the HDD after loading up the multibeast settings, the white screen with the apple logo froze up (without the apple logo) and left me with my mouse cursor in the top left hand corner but was able to move around the spinning beachball. A quick restart fixed this...

Now it seems that every so often on restarting the computer the system just freezes totally on the login screen. I can see all the icons, password box but am unable to get any response from the system and sometimes back to the white screen with the spinning beachball which im able to move around... The only thing that solves this is a hard reboot.

I've noticed that when I put the machine to sleep, it will literally power down for all of 1 second then wakes itself back up straight away.

Other than that the system seems to run fine so far, haven't had any hang ups or freezes once i get past the login screen.

Any suggestions welcomed :)

Thank you

Hi Drsmoketto,

Good to see you've got your system up and running. Good job on fixing the BIOS.

Some suggestions for the freezes. With Haswell refresh chips its noted that GenerateCstates and GeneratePstates are set to No. MultiBeast for Mountain Lion defaults are set to Yes so you can change these manually by locating /Extra folder on the root of your installation drive and opening the org.chameleon.Boot.plist. You'll see that both C/PStates are set to Yes. How To Edit a .plist

Also if your PSU is Haswell certified that should be ok. It's worth making sure that your memory modules are on the Gigabyte motherboard support list.

One thing for you to consider here is OS X releases vs hardware. When you go back to the time when Mountain Lion was released, native support was added only in 10.8.5 for Haswell 8 series. So with the refresh chip you are using(9 series with BIOS support for 8 series refresh) what kind of power management you'll receive for this processor is unknown in Mountain Lion. This is purely my thoughts and not tested with the Haswell refresh chip on Mountain Lion.

System definition plays a big part with power management and in a Mavericks/Yosemite world, iMac 14,1 system definition would suit your hardware. But it makes no sense to have a newer system definition running an older Mac OS X operating system. Will be interesting to see how this works out for you.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Tried editing the plist but the same issue is occurring... I am beginning to think Mavericks would be the solution right now. So will likely be my next move in trying to fresh install.

Thanks again for such a quick and informative post :)

Best

Thanks for getting back to me.

Tried editing the plist but the same issue is occurring... I am beginning to think Mavericks would be the solution right now. So will likely be my next move in trying to fresh install.

Thanks again for such a quick and informative post :)

Best

If you have downloaded OS X Mavericks previously from the Mac App store then it will be there to download again, if you haven't it's been taking down. IMHO with your processor I would go for Yosemite. It is available on the Mac App Store. Obviously your choice Drsmoketto.

Yeah i've just realised that I am unable to to install Mavericks.
My issue is I use this system daily for Logic Pro 9 and there are so many people reporting issues with Yosmite and LP9, even their newest LP10 has many issues.

Just wanted to keep what ive been using for years in ML, as its super solid

Such a shame I cant get past this weird random freeze upon startup.

Going to have to rethink things here!
Thanks

Yeah i've just realised that I am unable to to install Mavericks.
My issue is I use this system daily for Logic Pro 9 and there are so many people reporting issues with Yosmite and LP9, even their newest LP10 has many issues.

Just wanted to keep what ive been using for years in ML, as its super solid

Such a shame I cant get past this weird random freeze upon startup.

Going to have to rethink things here!
Thanks

I don't think there is anyway to get Mountain Lion stable with that processor and when you start putting it under heavy load my guess is that more lock ups may occur. Without the hardware I have no way to test. But knowing that 9 series CPU's are pretty new to the Apple Mac scene. Its not looking at all in favour of your CPU on Mountain Lion. Alternatively you could promote Amazons return policy and get a 4770k. If its the operating system that you want and need its a small price to pay. And the performance is great, I'm still very happy with mine.

I would suggest alternative things to try, power management SSDT for one, yet the OP says, 10.9.2 or higher, suitable system definition. But its putting odd pieces in an already strange puzzle.

If you would like to give it a whirl see here Mavericks: Native CPU/IGPU Power Management

A little update... I decided to go ahead and install Yosemite as I wasn't getting any joy with the issue I was having upon powering up Mountain Lion.

Everything went smoothly with the install and about 2 hours into transferring files over and installing software my system locked up. It just completely froze with no response other than to hard reset.

Trying to remain patient but feeling like im running out of options at the moment as to what to do next :S

A little update... I decided to go ahead and install Yosemite as I wasn't getting any joy with the issue I was having upon powering up Mountain Lion.

Everything went smoothly with the install and about 2 hours into transferring files over and installing software my system locked up. It just completely froze with no response other than to hard reset.

Trying to remain patient but feeling like im running out of options at the moment as to what to do next :S
Did you have any USB peripherals plugged in at the time of the freeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back