Gigabyte H107N-WiFi
CPU
i5-6500
Graphics
HD530
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi,

I just upgraded from Clover + Mojave to OC 0.69 + Big Sur 11.3.1, for my HP ProBook 4540s [Ivy Bridge CPU, Intel HM76 chipset, HD4000].

So far everything works properly, except that during boot up, before it shows the black Apple splash screen, the console repeatedly shows these ACPI error messages:
ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\PNOT] (Node .....), AE_NOT_FOUND (.../...)
ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB.PCIO.LPCD.EC.SMCP] (Node .....), AE_NOT_FOUND (.../...)
ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB.AC._PSR] (Node .....), AE_NOT_FOUND (.../...)
ACPI Error: [\_SB_.BATC] Namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND (.../...)

No Local Variables are initialized for method [PNOT]

No Arguments are initialized for method [PNOT]
While I can't detect anything wrong after booting into Big Sur, I'd like to fix the errors. Any ideas?

Did I miss out any SSDTs? Here are the contents of my EFI/OC/ACPI:
SSDT-BATT.aml
SSDT-FANRM.aml
SSDT-HDEF.aml
SSDT-HPET.aml
SSDT-IGPU.aml
SSDT-KEY102.aml
SSDT-LPC.aml
SSDT-PM.aml
SSDT-PNLF.aml
SSDT-PS2K.aml
SSDT-RMCF.aml
SSDT-XOSI.aml
Thank you!

That's a lot of SSDTs—some carried over from Clover maybe?
Not knowing what's in these SSDTs, and also what is the ACPI tables of your machine, it's impossible to identify the cause. But it's not a bootloader issue, it's an installation issue.

The PNOT errors are probably caused by a patch you have applied to your DSDT.aml or one of the numerous SSDT's. It is a patch that is available from Rehabman's Laptop repository, which is usually included or added to MaciASL.

The 'Fix PNOT/PPNT' patch sets the PNOT entry in the DSDT.aml to do nothing, i.e. not call the corresponding device in the CPU Power Management SSDT(s), which you might have dropped in accordance with the OC guide for an Ivy Bridge laptop.

Screenshot 2021-06-12 at 21.00.31.png Fix PNOT/PPNT patch

If you do not have a patched DSDT.aml the PNOT entry may be patched in one of your SSDT's, probably SSDT-PM.aml, if that is your custom CPU power management SSDT.

Similar issues probably occur for these other errors:
  • [\_SB.PCIO.LPCD.EC.SMCP]
  • [\_SB.AC._PSR]
  • [\_SB_.BATC] - Look in the SSDT-BATT.aml for this device.
You probably need to check that none of these device names are present/being called in any of the custom SSDT's you are using.

I would also make sure that you are not using any SSDT's which contain an error, before it was compiled. I assume you have copies of these SSDT's in .dsl (disassembled format).

Are you using any custom ACPI patches in your OC setup?

The PNOT errors are probably caused by a patch you have applied to your DSDT.aml or one of the numerous SSDT's. It is a patch that is available from Rehabman's Laptop repository, which is usually included or added to MaciASL.

The 'Fix PNOT/PPNT' patch sets the PNOT entry in the DSDT.aml to do nothing, i.e. not call the corresponding device in the CPU Power Management SSDT(s), which you might have dropped in accordance with the OC guide for an Ivy Bridge laptop.

View attachment 521597 Fix PNOT/PPNT patch

If you do not have a patched DSDT.aml the PNOT entry may be patched in one of your SSDT's, probably SSDT-PM.aml, if that is your custom CPU power management SSDT.

Similar issues probably occur for these other errors:
  • [\_SB.PCIO.LPCD.EC.SMCP]
  • [\_SB.AC._PSR]
  • [\_SB_.BATC] - Look in the SSDT-BATT.aml for this device.
You probably need to check that none of these device names are present/being called in any of the custom SSDT's you are using.

I would also make sure that you are not using any SSDT's which contain an error, before it was compiled. I assume you have copies of these SSDT's in .dsl (disassembled format).

Are you using any custom ACPI patches in your OC setup?
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I really appreciate it! :)

I simply copied somebody's OC EFI, and then changed the Platform details. I believe he did not do a good job on including the required SSDTs patches, as the LCD brightness control didn't work, and I had to replace one of the SSDT to get it working.

Like what the other guy had posted, indeed there are a lot of errors. I had hoped for a quick fix by posting my request for help here, but I doubt that is possible. I'm uncertain that I should invest time and effort on such an old laptop. After all, it works perfectly despite the slow boot up (ACPI errors). I'll wait for someone to share his working OC EFI. Fingers crossed! :D

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I really appreciate it! :)

I simply copied somebody's OC EFI, and then changed the Platform details. I believe he did not do a good job on including the required SSDTs patches, as the LCD brightness control didn't work, and I had to replace one of the SSDT to get it working.

Like what the other guy had posted, indeed there are a lot of errors. I had hoped for a quick fix by posting my request for help here, but I doubt that is possible. I'm uncertain that I should invest time and effort on such an old laptop. After all, it works perfectly despite the slow boot up (ACPI errors). I'll wait for someone to share his working OC EFI. Fingers crossed! :D
i have moved your thread to Mojave Laptop Support

please read the faq for proper hardware profile setup:

instead of waiting for someone else to do the hard work for you, you can always attempt this yourself or take some inspiration from:

@cci[RR]us you will never learn how to patch the DSDT or SSDT's if you don't try. Using someone else's EFI folder is just plain lazy. This site isn't about providing you with a pre-made EFI folder, I'm not saying that can't happen. But it is not a good way to go with a Hack, as you won't understand what has gone wrong if something changes or needs updating in the future.

Laptop hacks are more complicated and require more knowledge than a desktop hack, because you are limited to the components you can upgrade or change to make them compatible with macOS. So you need to find the fixes, patches, kexts, SSDT's that make your system work with macOS.

There are a number of really good, in-depth and insightful guides on this site. Some are now older, like your laptop but they are still valid and worth reading and following. This one as well as the two linked above by Feartech, should be of interest to you, as it is about DSDT.aml and SSDT.aml patching - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-patching-laptop-dsdt-ssdts.152573/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back