RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Having a couple of problems with 10.7.2 at the moment I have been stumbling across this issue:

Whenever I repair permissions with disk utility on my main HD I always get the same status and repair report. (see attachment)

ACL found but not expected on "private/var/root/Library"
"private/var/root/Library" has been repaired
ACL found but not expected on "private/var/root/Library/Preferences"
"private/var/root/Library/Preferences" has been repaired

Well it is reported to have been repaired but always reappears on the next check.
How can I get rid of this?

One more background info: My user accounts (except admin) have been moved to a different hard drive by using the options of the log in window. Now I can not repair permissions on this separate HD as it is not recognized as system HD. Could this contribute?

Cheers, SH

Attachments

• ACL found.jpg
    ACL found.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 436
Say Heading said:
Having a couple of problems with 10.7.2 at the moment I have been stumbling across this issue:

Whenever I repair permissions with disk utility on my main HD I always get the same status and repair report. (see attachment)

ACL found but not expected on "private/var/root/Library"
"private/var/root/Library" has been repaired
ACL found but not expected on "private/var/root/Library/Preferences"
"private/var/root/Library/Preferences" has been repaired

Well it is reported to have been repaired but always reappears on the next check.
How can I get rid of this?

One more background info: My user accounts (except admin) have been moved to a different hard drive by using the options of the log in window. Now I can not repair permissions on this separate HD as it is not recognized as system HD. Could this contribute?

Cheers, SH

This is from Apple support.

Resolution
You can safely ignore these messages. You can also usually ignore any "ACL found but not expected..." message. These messages can occur if you change permissions on a file or directory; they are accurate, but generally not a cause for concern.

And also google for it for further info.

That was quick, thanks a lot :thumbup:

I must have changed something in those moved user folders (on a different HD) which I assume shows up while checking the boot HD.
As I also have access problems once in a while (no log in into user accounts possible after boot) which I normally can solve by repairing permissions on the boot HD, I´d also like to set those permissions in the user folders back to normal.
Maybe I will have to move them back to the boot HD temporarily for a repair session?

Cheers, SH

Say Heading said:

I must have changed something in those moved user folders (on a different HD) which I assume shows up while checking the boot HD.
As I also have access problems once in a while (no log in into user accounts possible after boot) which I normally can solve by repairing permissions on the boot HD, I´d also like to set those permissions in the user folders back to normal.
Maybe I will have to move them back to the boot HD temporarily for a repair session?

Cheers, SH
Just ignore it like mentioned from Apple. There's no disadvantage with that. If you have any problems to login on any User Account, boot in single user mode using -s at the bootscreen and delete the /private/var/audit folder

Say Heading said:

Cheers, SH

I am not sure about these settings. They are related to UUID and other stuff and they are connected to each other, if you change one of them they may conflict with others, and cause you login issues.

I had this issue long time ago, I changed something in Advanced Settings of my account in User & Groups Section. I ended up with reinstalling again. From that that i don't touch it again :)

Gentleman, this starts to look like a thursday afternoon tee private discussion :cool:

karacho said:
Just ignore it like mentioned from Apple. There's no disadvantage with that. If you have any problems to login on any User Account, boot in single user mode using -s at the bootscreen and delete the /private/var/audit folder

Well, ignorance is one of my best developed skills...
Ask my wife.

Mak 1 said:
I ended up with reinstalling again. From that that i don't touch it again

I´m thinking about doing so anyway, just to try a clean lion installation without any leopard leftovers and to see how it goes. Becoming independend of 10.6.x for future installations in case I should need it urgently. I´m just hesitating as I don´t trust in a reliable restoration of all currently installed program by TimeMachine.
Up to now it always required a lot of handmade corrections when I tried it.

Say Heading said:
Gentleman, this starts to look like a thursday afternoon tee private discussion :cool:

karacho said:

Well, ignorance is one of my best developed skills...
Ask my wife.

[quote="Mak 1":3dgi2go6]I ended up with reinstalling again. From that that i don't touch it again

I´m thinking about doing so anyway, just to try a clean lion installation without any leopard leftovers and to see how it goes. Becoming independend of 10.6.x for future installations in case I should need it urgently. I´m just hesitating as I don´t trust in a reliable restoration of all currently installed program by TimeMachine.
Up to now it always required a lot of handmade corrections when I tried it.[/quote:3dgi2go6]

I recommend you to Backup your things Manually and make a clean install. The best way to get things working right. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back