Contribute
Register

Acer Aspire V5-171 Notebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your "fix" merely copied files from Multibeast which probably indicates that you didnt make your USB stick correctly. What BIOS and what OSX version (10.8.xx and App Store)?

i used 10.8.2 + unibeast and bios insydeH20 version 03.72.23v2.10 now it worked ...damn i forget change to ahci ...now i can instal without change the harddrive

wifi,bluetooth,camera not working
( 1 port mic and audio active together ,when i plug headphone)

Attachments

• 563817_4037412713800_2105163600_n.jpg
    563817_4037412713800_2105163600_n.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 330
Just before I part with cash as I am a little worried my local pc store has the v5-171 with the i3 processor would this make a difference as its not a i5 ?

Just before I part with cash as I am a little worried my local pc store has the v5-171 with the i3 processor would this make a difference as its not a i5 ?

i3 more cheap than i5 ...i configured with ram 6 Gb it run smooth tested 2x24 hour
wifi next time i will replace

I have an Acer Aspire V5-171-9661, I7. It's running well with 10.8.3 and after replacing the wifi card with the Dell 1510, pretty much all the hardware is runing very well except speedstep. So far I'm just using kext's that I have found.

I have a couple of questions that I really can't seem to find simple answers to. Hope you don't mind that I'm asking them here.

For speedstep to work it looks like I need a SSDT.aml file. If I create one using some of the tools I have found and put it in the /Extras directory, what else do I need to do to get it to load and are there any kext that need to be removed or modified? Such as NullCPUPowerManagement etc.

Can I only use a SSDT.aml without a DSDT.aml?

Are there places to get help with making the correct edits to this files to get them to work?

This is such a great little laptop for OSX86, I just want to get if fully working.

Thank you in advance for all your help and I'm sorry if I have easily missed reading something that would have already eliminated these questions.
Cheers, roadtrips

Hi, I bought my v5 171 several days ago.

And, I just know about this kind of thread is exist!

I want to share of my works of several days, and want some help or information

The CPU of my laptop is ir 3337u (it is little different with early version)

I got chimei pannel for screen, Elantech touchpad, 4GB ram, Broadcom lan and Atheros ar9462 wifi.

The version of bios is 1.09.

I'm working good with sound, speedstep, backlight control, sleep, battery, Ethernet, trackpad and USB3.0

I used unibeast install USB(with legacy USB support) for install and DSDT is debug and patched by DSDT editor.
Prepared patch list for sandybridge laptop(with modding device id of my one) is applied except UHCI and HDEF-DSM.
I didn't change any Dword to Qword of DSDT because I experienced some problem from other laptops by correcting this before.
AppleACPIPlatform.kext is rollbacked to 10.8.1 by multibeast.(without this it never boot without -x option)

What have been more done and major problems are as follows.

1) Sound: I tried VoodooHDA2.8.2 but, it didn't support of headphone jack. It sense it but it dosen't make any sound from ext Speakers or A headphones. So I patched my Apple HDA. I got information of patching from
http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1967-applehda-binary-patching/
and
http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1970-fix-for-audio-issue-after-sleep-in-alc269/
I disabled the ext mic, jack is only work with speaker devices.

The following DSM method is added below HDEF device of DSDT

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x06)
{
"hda-gfx",
Buffer (0x0A)
{
"onboard-1"
},
"layout-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x1C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
},
"PinConfigurations",
Buffer (Zero) {}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}

2) Speedstep :
To enable speedstep, I patched my AICPM kext. And try to use proper SSDT with DropSSDT=yes in boot flags.
As you know, original Macbookair has two kinds of method to control P state; _PSS and APSS.
I extracted my SSDT with AIDA64 and tried to edit just like Apple's one. But, I failed. It got panic or clock of cpu is never move from 800Mhz....
So I used SSDT generating script which I downloaded from http://www.tonymacx86.com/ssdt/86906-ssdt-generation-script-ivybridge-pm.html
Although, it just make APSS method, it works pretty well. Only drawback is reporting some error messages during booting and busratio is seems like fixed in 24.
Monitoring with MSR Dumper, several bus ratios(8, 16, 22, 24, 26) are also generated, but most of time it is fixed in 24. the sleep is working well and it get in sleep automatically when I closed the lid.
I'm using smbios of Macbookair5.1

3) Backlight Control:
This is done with simple with DSDT editing. I just add PNLF divice below Scope _SB and DSM method below GFX0 as follows,

Device (PNLF)
{
Name (_HID, EisaId ("APP0002"))
Name (_CID, "backlight")
Name (_UID, 0x0A)
Name (_STA, 0x0B)
}

Device (GFX0)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x00020000)
Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
{
Store (Package (0x1E)
{
"device_type",
Buffer (0x08)
{
"display"
},
"built-in",
Buffer (One)
{
0x01
},
"@0,backlight-control",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
},
"hda-gfx",
Buffer (0x0A)
{
"onboard-1"
},
"AAPL00,backlight-control",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
},
"AAPL,ig-platform-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x03, 0x00, 0x66, 0x01
},
"AAPL00,blackscreen-preferences",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x08
},
"device-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x66, 0x01, 0x00, 0x00
},
"vendor-id",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x86, 0x80, 0x00, 0x00
},
"model",
Buffer (0x17)
{
"Intel HD Graphics 4000"
},
"AAPL,HasLid",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
},
"VRAM,totalsize",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x00, 0x00, 0x00, 0x18
},
"AAPL,HasPanel",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
},
"AAPL,NumDisplays",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x02, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
},
"AAPL,NumFramebuffers",
Buffer (0x04)
{
0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
}
}, Local0)
DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
Return (Local0)
}

The Backlight controlled with Pause key and Scroll lock key or in display control panel.
No problem are found here

4) Battery:
I edit my DSDT based on http://bbs.pcbeta.com/viewthread-935509-1-1.html and http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/to...ager-for-lion/page__hl__voodoobattery__st__0]

And I use AppleSmartbatterymanager.kext for ACPI battery got from upper link.
It works good with iStat. but... the full capacity of battery view from iStat is looks strange. It is displaying 2500mAh of full capacity. I couldn't find mistake of editing my DSDT....

5) Ethrenet
This is solved by adding Device ID pci14e4,16b5 into IONamematch of info.plist of IONetworkingFamily.kext/plugins/AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext.

No problem find here.

6) Trackpad

Trackpad is enabled by kext from http://forum.osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1948-elan-touchpad-driver-mac-osx/
with some mod that changing product id of ApplePS2ElanTouchpad.kext 610 to 502.
Every gesture works well.

7) USB 3.0

Before enable USB 3.0, I got some port disabling problem. So I removed AppleUSBXHCI.kext which was existed in IOUSBFamily.kext/plugins
And I installed Generic USB 3.0 kext downloaded from http://www.mediafire.com/?jhpqyk8dm1b0cmm
No problems find here.
wifi never works so I planing to changing.

I want to let me know how your speedsteps and battery works (because my one is looks weird isn't it?).
My D-SUB porti dosen't work, and I tried to edit binary of AppleintelFramebufferCapri but my all efforts are failed. Any one can help?
And I want some information of bios updating because there is no update support 1.x to 2.x form acer website.
I want to use UEFI boot with clover boot loader but I can't.... Is there any solution?

I uploading files I using. Sorry for my poor english....

Attachments

• v5 171.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 231
Holyjoy,
Thank you so much for your detailed update!!! I have the i7 version v5-171-9661. Even though I had pertty much every thing running using kext only, I didn't have the speedstep and turbo running. I really know nothing about editing a dsdt or ssdt but with your files I'm at least getting it to work some what.

First for your question regarding Bios update. I read on this forum that most people were using ver 2.13. It is available on the Acer web site. When you select bios, then select show all and that where it is. I did read that 2.15 had and issue with booting and wasn't recommended. Since I'm using your dsdt file I wanted to go back to 2.09 since that is where you are, but that can't happen from what I can tell so I'm hoping you'll to got 2.13 and update you dsdt, and post it.

I'm hoping someone will get the original wifi / bluetooth card to work. It's Qualcom Atheros AR5BW222, Vend 168C, Dev 0034. Nothing that I have tried so far works.

As for using your files, when I used all your files, when I came out of sleep my machine would run for about a minute and then lock up.

What I ended up doing was use your files /Extra along with your modified AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and the both ApplePS2*.kext, only. I'm also using the universal sleepenabler.kext, voodoohda2.8.2 for audio. Sleep is very fast both in and out, there are not lockups any more. I did run the ssdtprgen for my machine to get the SSDT file but regardless of which SSDT.aml I use, yours or mine, hwmonitor just jumps from 800mhz to 2.77Ghz. In turbo, my machine is suppose to do 3.0Ghz. Any ideas why it's not going higher? It does show the following:
/*
* Intel ACPI Component Architecture
* AML Disassembler version 20130117-64 [Jan 19 2013]
* Copyright (c) 2000 - 2013 Intel Corporation
* Disassembly of iASLs3puST.aml, Fri May 10 11:13:31 2013
* Original Table Header:
* Signature "SSDT"
* Length 0x000004C1 (1217)
* Revision 0x01
* Checksum 0xD6
* OEM ID "APPLE "
* OEM Table ID "CpuPm"
* OEM Revision 0x00006100 (24832)
* Compiler ID "INTL"
* Compiler Version 0x20130117 (538116375)
*/

DefinitionBlock ("iASLs3puST.aml", "SSDT", 1, "APPLE ", "CpuPm", 0x00006100)
{
External (_PR_.CPU0, DeviceObj)
External (_PR_.CPU1, DeviceObj)
External (_PR_.CPU2, DeviceObj)
External (_PR_.CPU3, DeviceObj)

Store ("ssdtPRGen version: 6.1", Debug)
Store ("baseFrequency : 1200", Debug)
Store ("frequency : 1900", Debug)
Store ("logicalCPUs : 4", Debug)
Store ("tdp : 17", Debug)
Store ("packageLength : 19", Debug)
Store ("turboStates : 11", Debug)
Store ("maxTurboFrequency: 3000", Debug)

Is there a modification in the DSDT.aml that needs to be made to support the max speed?
I have not used MSR Dumper to determine how many steps I have.

I like your back lite control but I was wondering if it's possible for you to modify the keys to turn the display up and down to the Fn+right and left arrows that has the icons on them? That is if you have the time, I would be glad to test.

Thanks again for all your info and hard work, it has really helped me. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.
Cheers!

Attachments

• SSDT.aml
    1.2 KB · Views: 171
  • BIOS_Acer_2.13_A_A.zip
    6.8 MB · Views: 138
Methanoid said:
Why no replies?
So so sorry for not responding, I'm afraid I use this site very rarely and haven't been back to check until today.
I gave up reading up when I got mine all running, or so I thought until a couple of days ago when I found out my mic doesn't work so I'm trawling the web for a fix and ended up here.
I have written this guide of how I got where I am.
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/288519-acer-v5-171bios-213-walkthrough-and-files/
I feel very guilty now asking for help with my sound.
Apologies again.
Mike

Hi i have the Acer V5 171-32364G32ass
MFG DATE 2012/6/28
And followed a guide to try and get the installer to work

After following the instructions to a T i get this when i start the installer.
http://img296.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=558512520_IMG_0101_122_357lo.JPG

Tried again using verbose -v and got this
http://img12.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=566242989_IMG_01001_122_399lo.JPG

I have spent to long on this but trying not to give up.

Ive had a lot of help from Crabhunter who has been awesome with the help and with quick responses to my quesions.
I see alot of people on forums have the acer V5 171 but the rest of the model number is different.
Has anyone got the same one as me who could shed some light on the problems i have encountered?

Thanks

I don't have the same model but I'm a V5-171. For my installer to boot, I until I got all the kext loaded, I always had to let the laptop boot from the boot loader on the usb stick, then select the device I wanted to boot from with a -x. Hope that helps.
Cheers

My mike works using voodoohd 2.8.2
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back