Contribute
Register

Acer Aspire V5-171 Notebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had to check in on you all to see your progress :) I now have the 171 built with Win 8 .. boo! Methanoid, good job on starting the guide for this specific laptop V5-171 build. Keep it going. In effort to help you guys out and to answer some of the questions, here are several more snippets of intel I have for you:

- methanoid, yes, I was inspired by your xmove move so that got me rethinking on my side. Could not have done it (get my 171 to the 'hackintosh happy place') without you, thank you. My technique for my build (see my last post) was similar, but different.

- true, in my Multibeast ticks that worked for me (see my last post) it was redundant of me to tick the boxes under 'disk' since the already ticked box of 'EasyBeast' already does that, so, go ahead and leave those unticked. To repeat, the pic I attached of my Multibeast ticks were the exact ones I used that worked for me and got me through the osx installer and into the osx desktop.

- yes, that Multibeast tick of PS/2 keyboards & Trackpads totally worked for me when I got into the desktop for the first time upon the installer finishing. I had a working trackpad mouse only (no gestures), and a working keyboard. I do remember with one of my other attempts that eventually got completely hosed from me messing with kests too much, I later ticked that PS/2 box only through Multibeast and for whatever reason it gave me kernel panics.

- I do know that that null kext was one of the keys to me getting through my pains of kernel panics and to a safe desktop.

- After some failed attempts in the past, I tried a new build just using 'UserDSDT' only, it failed and I could not stop kernel panicking. My next build attempt was with 'EasyBeast' and all the settings shown in my last post .. and that was the one that worked for me.

- Big Key -- look again at the pdf TonyMac provides with Multibeast. Specifically read and break apart the exact things each tick does for both 'EasyBeast' and 'UserDSDT'. This will answer a lot of your questions Methanoid, especially your post #47 from April 2nd.

- My experience with my ssd replacement in my 171 hackintosh -- you can only replace this internal drive with one that's 7mm in height. I replaced mine with a Samsung 840 120GB ssd and it flew! It was super fast and I noticed a difference. It cost $110 with tax so they're expensive. I ultimately put the original 5400rpm one back in for other reasons.

- My experience with replacing the 171's internal wifi card, with one that was supposedly able to work 'oob' with a hackintosh, the BCM94322HM8L -- Let me save you all a lot of pain .. do not do this. ONLY replace any laptop hackintosh wifi card with an APPLE branded known working one that works 'oob'. There are only a couple of them and the BCM94322HM8L is one of them. I bought a Dell BCM94322HM8L, not an Apple BCM94322HM8L and my 171 hackintosh would recognize the wifi chip fine - just like its own, but I could not get the damn thing to see any networks. And that my friends, was the straw that broke this camels back. That was the last thing I needed to go wrong after finally getting my 171 to the good place. I dediced to load Win 8 after that fight. Some say you have to 'rebrand' the chip, but I looked into it and you know what .. f*&* that.

- One last gotcha .. on one of my previous 171 hackintosh builds (prior to my 'golden build' that was the best one), I got to the desktop, then updated the OS from 10.8 to 10.8.3 with the combo updater, rebooted, and then could not get out of more kernel panics and considered that build a bust. So, be careful on the updating if you're skilled enough to get these 171's to a happy osx ML desktop state with mostly working kexts and video, etc. My golden build was left at 10.8, I attempted the wifi swap at that point and just got fed up. Now for you guys, I'd strongly suggest you use Carbon Copy Cloner (or True Image, or another cloning app) and clone the partition you have working before you attempt a ML OS .x update, like from 10.8.2 to 10.8.3, or whatever. That way, if you mess it up and can't get out of kernel panics on your reboot, you can at least have a 'do over' from your last working state. Once you have a good working build base (osx installed, mostly working things like video and ethernet, etc), imaging the entire byte-for-byte hard drive osx partition at that point is really a great way to do these hackintosh laptop builds since they're so much more finicky than easy desktop builds. Because the next seemingly minor innocent kext update, os update, or update nudge you do, you risk breaking something on these delicate 171's. And if you do break something and can't figure out the fix and it's driving you crazy and your spending too much time on it, then hey .. just restore a cloned image from your previous working state. As far as how to do that, just look at the cloner app instructions.

- If your at a frustrated state with your v5-171 build, look at my last post (#44). This success I had was for my specific Acer Aspire (V5-171-6422). If you have the same one, follow my golden build outlined in 'C' and look at the attached Multibeast tickbox's picture and do the same. If you have a different Acer V5-171 then you may get different results. The smbios.plist file I used was created with Champlist, but it's virtually the same one that yamete (post #43) uploaded earlier so you can use that one. And the org.chameleon.boot.plist was also from yamete (post #39). That's it. Hopefully that will work for you too. That got me through the installer, onto the desktop with the correct video driver and resolution, working mouse touchpad, working keyboard, and working card reader.

Good luck!!!

Thanks.

I dont need xMove - I think I must have not used the USB Rollback option when building Unibeast stick cos it all works fine now. Straight to 10.8.3 too ;-)

The "guide" even in draft just works... just as is.. although I think kexts might need a tweak or two.

So basically I was thinking of buying one of these after selling my current hackintosh and are you saying this is very hard and do you require a mac as I obviously will not have one of them to use for this install (I will still have my Mountain Lion 10.8.2 USB Drive Installer). I am willing to spend money on changing the wi-fi card but I really need a little nippy hackintosh laptop on budget.

So basically I was thinking of buying one of these after selling my current hackintosh and are you saying this is very hard and do you require a mac as I obviously will not have one of them to use for this install (I will still have my Mountain Lion 10.8.2 USB Drive Installer). I am willing to spend money on changing the wi-fi card but I really need a little nippy hackintosh laptop on budget.

Its working fine and ISNT difficult (see Guide) but you must make sure your installer has USB Fix enabled and be aware of the limitations (ie VoodooHDA sound, No Speedstep or Power Management) until a DSDT is properly done....

What is the disadvantage of using Voodoohda does this mean quality will not be as great? I will be using headphone socket to a stereo when watching 720p movies and also for music so this must be okay. As for the speakers don't care about them at all. Also speedstep just means the laptop will not clock down as it does with windows? A little worried as not sure if have the usb fix enabled just used multibeast instructions before and have a 8gb stick with it on ready to go. Power management, who cares, lols!

VoodooHDA is fine... its just cleaner to not need extra Kexts for that and NullCPU etc... I've not used Voodoo as I dont want to but Yamete reports it working

"PowerManagement who cares" - I assume battery life means nothing then? Anyway, sounds like this would do you.

mine V5-171-33222G50ass (3227U/2/500/DOS/11.6")
use seagate momentus xt 500Gb
can you help me
when i instal with unibeast+ mountain lion 10.8.2 ---- still waiting for root device

i try -v -x same result

mine V5-171-33222G50ass (3227U/2/500/DOS/11.6")
use seagate momentus xt 500Gb
can you help me
when i instal with unibeast+ mountain lion 10.8.2 ---- still waiting for root device

i try -v -x same result

I am using 10.8.3 - there is no reason not to - so won't be debugging issues for earlier installs!!! ;-)

However I suspect your issue relates to not having enabled Legacy USB when building your Unibeast USB stick. Re-do it (and with 10.8.3) and I think you will be fine. Just rebuilt mine yesterday on a new SSD and with Win 8 and Ubuntu. All good bar audio (as I want to avoid VoodooHDA!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back