Contribute
Register

Acer Aspire V5-171 Notebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if Crabhunter has USB working but since he doesnt want to contribute I doubt we will find out :(

blah, blah, blah...

4) Yamete has his showing as MacBook Air (can you post the smbios.plist you use for that?) and I *want*!!!

Here is my smbios.plist with the MacBook Air 5,2 definition...
Perhaps using SleepEnabler.kext might help for sleep if we can't we a working DSDT...what we would be missing would be the i5/i7 cpu speed-step thingy...that would be nice, but not a show stopper...but since sleep is not a biggy for me, I'll let other people try the kext...(if anyone out there is reading these posts)...

I am still optimistic the hackintosh community will come up with a workaround or fix for the USB 2.0 ports not recognizing pen drives...! :)

Attachments

• smbios.plist
    699 bytes · Views: 296
Methanoid, yamete, and others --

I've got it !!! Finally. At least for myself, and a huge one for you guys I'm about to divulge.

First, let me say I've spent days obsessively trying to get this working. Dealing with various panics, getting past them, seeing other issues, etc. I've even taken the hard drive in and out several times for various reasons.

Anyway, let me just say that despite getting it to a great state with only a few minor non-perfections, I am actually going to rebuild this A5-171 as a Windows 8 laptop tonight. I know, I know. But the build was for my own challenge, and was for my wife, but she just told me she wants Windows on it and not osx.

Now, for the good stuff. Here is me regurgitating some of the key gotchas I came across and also some secret sauce for the A5-171 osx build. In no specific order:

A) BIOS. It's really important. Spent over an hour trying to downgrade my 2.15 to a lesser version. Why? Because there is an issue with 2.15 not allowing you to boot from USB in Legacy mode. There seem to be other issues also, like kernel panic's related to BIOS not being able to be communicated with. I circumvented my BIOS 2.15 issue with method described below in C.

B) Internal hard drive. I have the WD5000LPVT, found out it's 'Advanced Format' and I experienced the 'boot0' error. Used Tonymac's boot0 guide solution #2, and it worked. Yes, I had to take out the hard drive and attach it via usb sata cable to another mac.

C) My golden install method: attach hard drive to another mac using a usb sata cable. created 2 GUID partitions. one 8GB, remaining about 490GB. use 'carbon copy cloner' to copy your tonymac unibeast install usb stick to your newly created 8GB partition. once done, put hd back in V5-171 and reboot with unibeast stick, select the 8GB partition and use boot flags -x -v. Got me to the installer. Installed ML on 490GB partition. once back on desktop again, used an smbios I created from 'Champlist' for MBA, and the org.chameleon.Boot.plist from yamete. used multi beast and ticked what is shown in attachment.

D) Drumroll please ... all my USB ports were working 100%. Even the USB 3.0 was working super fast (I could tell). I too had the usb issues from other attempts like plugged in mouse working fine, but thumb drive not, etc. Here is the solution that worked for me .. tick the box in Multibeast 'Legacy USB Support'. That was the answer.

Good luck to all of you. I may change my mind in the future and attempt another build on this one though. We shall see.

Attachments

• IMG_4676.JPG
    IMG_4676.JPG
    207.2 KB · Views: 2,750
  • 171 settings.jpg
    171 settings.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 370
Methanoid, yamete, and others --

I've got it !!! Finally. At least for myself, and a huge one for you guys I'm about to divulge.

SNIP SNIP

D) Drumroll please ... all my USB ports were working 100%. Even the USB 3.0 was working super fast (I could tell). I too had the usb issues from other attempts like plugged in mouse working fine, but thumb drive not, etc. Here is the solution that worked for me .. tick the box in Multibeast 'Legacy USB Support'. That was the answer.

Good luck to all of you. I may change my mind in the future and attempt another build on this one though. We shall see.

So basically what you did is what I did.. xMove does just what you did!!! :D What is damned helpful though is the Multibeast settings that work.

I just found Crabhunter has posted the LAN kext altogether and he also helped with USB kext fix - http://goo.gl/HNsrY

I'll tweak the guide I have compiled from all the posts and get it finished. I think we might finally be there!

Hey guys,

congrats! I am reading since some weeks. I also tried to install OSX on my v5 171, but it didn'r work. I'm glad that you have power of endurance that I don't have.
If you are building a guide, I will also try it again, but I'm not that much involved in hackintosh.
By the way: I have the v5 171 with the i3 processor. Will it be different from your steps?

Sorry for my English, it's a while since my last trip ;)

mhbalough123

Looked at your Mutlibeast settings and it seems obvious now that USB is needed

But...

3rdPartySATA - why? We only have Intel SATA - surely that is redundant kext?
IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector - why?
PS2 KB & Mice Kexts - ISTR that Yamete reported they conflict with other PS2 kexts - do they give you working trackpad with no other kexts?

No FakeSMC (which Multibeast says is the one ESSENTIAL kext yet doesnt autoselect?!?!?)
No NullCPUPowerManagement (which normally is needed unless BIOS is patched)

Just querying some of the selections ;-)

A DRAFT GUIDE:

Guide written based on information from Yamete888, Methanoid, crabhunter & mhbalough123. This guide is written for and tested on BIOS v2.14. The videoRam setting is fixed at 128Mb and the BIOS is set to Legacy BIOS (won’t work with UEFI). If you want working WiFi just get a new WiFi card ($5-10) that is compatible e.g AR9280. It’s easy to open this machine with a single screw to undo only!

1) Prepare Unibeast USB (see other guide) but ensure you select Legacy USB Support (Laptop support doesn’t do anything for us AFAIK). Make sure your Unibeast USB disk includes Multibeast, KextBeast, Chimera 2.01 installer and any kexts needed. If Multibooting Windows and other OS I recommend MBR patching your OSX USB installer (that is another topic)

2) Boot Unibeast with –v –x and run installer. Format your HDD as needed using Disk Utility (multibooters may do differently or need MBR). Install OSX on drive.

3) Reboot system but using Unibeast USB’s Chimera – select the new OSX partition and boot with –v –x PCIRootUID=1 to allow you to boot. Allow OSX to finish Apple's initial install and go to System Preferences, Security & Privacy and allow apps from Anywhere to run (so Chimera etc can run).

4) Open MultiBeast and select as below:

UserDSDT
FakeSMC
NullCPUPowerManagement
PS2 KB/Mice
Legacy USB Support
Chimera Bootloader

5) You probably ought to update Chimera to the latest v2.0.1 from your Unibeast USB stick. Then copy the org.chameleon.Boot.plist and smbios.plist files attached into /Extra overwriting any existing files.

6) Open KextBeast and install the kexts as needed (see attachment)

PS2 kexts for Trackpad & Keyboard
LAN kexts for Wired LAN
Battery kext
Audio kexts (VoodooHDA until a proper DSDT patch is completed)

7) To be able to adjust brightness, use "Brightness Slider" – a free app from App Store

8) To dos:
Untested: VGA output (though haven't tried it on mine)
Untested: Sleep, Power Management probably doesnt work (ie not speed stepping)
To fix: DSDT to allow power management, sleep and audio to work properly without Voodoo HDA

Attachments

• V5-171 Pack.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 187
Strange behaviour from Multibeast 5.2.1....did a new install...and selected the options from Multibeast (see pix), then I get an install error? hmmm...the only new thingy was choosing the "Legacy USB" thingy...
The Multibeast PS2 stuffs never worked for me, I don't have them installed...they crashed my system after install...that's why I went for the PS2 kexts in osx86.net...

Attachments

• 102_1526.JPG
    102_1526.JPG
    276.1 KB · Views: 450
  • 102_1527.JPG
    102_1527.JPG
    240.1 KB · Views: 222
  • 102_1528.JPG
    102_1528.JPG
    332.7 KB · Views: 345
Strange behaviour from Multibeast 5.2.1....did a new install...and selected the options from Multibeast (see pix), then I get an install error? hmmm...the only new thingy was choosing the "Legacy USB" thingy...
The Multibeast PS2 stuffs never worked for me, I don't have them installed...they crashed my system after install...that's why I went for the PS2 kexts in osx86.net...

I dont think the Multibeast PS2 kexts do anything - they don't crash my machine but they certainly dont activate the trackpad. I'll check again. I did a fresh install today (with Unibeast working!) and tested the guide. I also got that failed install message but it seems to work fine so I am not worry too much.

Would be useful if we can confirm that without the Multibeast PS2 kexts and with the OSX86.net kexts Trackpad & KB work. If so we can remove the Multibeast PS2 kexts from the draft guide.

I got a strange new effect of the Apple logo appearing slightly to the right of centre of the screen on loading which irritates but doesnt affect anything. I'd like to fix that really.

I think we have a reliable working reproducable setup now. As far as I am concerned next step is to get a DSDT working so we can ditch Voodoo HDA and NullCPUPowerManagement kexts and having working Sleep, Power Management and "Apple" sound. Then we could really say we have this one cracked.

Just ordered a new SSD so will do another rebuild in a couple of days. I multiboot so that just makes each rebuild that bit slower!

EDIT; Dont think we need that 10.8.1 rollback kext either. BTW my install was straight to 10.8.3

I dont think the Multibeast PS2 kexts do anything - they don't crash my machine but they certainly dont activate the trackpad. I'll check again. I did a fresh install today (with Unibeast working!) and tested the guide. I also got that failed install message but it seems to work fine so I am not worry too much.

Would be useful if we can confirm that without the Multibeast PS2 kexts and with the OSX86.net kexts Trackpad & KB work. If so we can remove the Multibeast PS2 kexts from the draft guide.
EDIT; Dont think we need that 10.8.1 rollback kext either. BTW my install was straight to 10.8.3

So, I assume your USB work then? with the Multibeast "Legacy USB Support" checked, even though it gave you a failed install?
Multibeast PS2 didn't work for me, it gave me the "STOP" sign when booting up, with the Apple & white screen...and it never passed that...
Now that's a new one...with the apple logo not centered? never seen that...do you already have the intel hd4000 string & resolution set in the org.chameleon.boot.plist thingy when U experience this?

Lucky you getting an SSD...! I wish I could...the most I would be able to get is an internal 2.5 7mm 500gb sata to replace the original one, since I don't want to touch the Win8 stuffs there...since dunno when that could come handy...the newer Seagate hybrid 7mm drive might be a good solution, but they R more expensive that the regular HD...so, if I get a new drive, most likely would be a regular 500gb 7200rpm 2.5 sata one...but even that is still an unknown...

Yup USB worked.. I will re-do without Multibeast PS2 kexts. Yes, I have Plists etc in place and still get that. It seems weird as I also could not get Instant Menu to work in my Plist so it might be some one off weirdness. I'll worry after the SSD install is done

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back