Contribute
Register

Acer Aspire V5-171 Notebook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yamete888, Methanoid, and others on this 171 topic -- thank you for trying to get the A5-171 going.

I have an Aspire v5-171 as well. It does in fact seem like the perfect hackintosh for what it is, right? I've probably built over 10 hackintoshes in the past several years (mostly desktops for family and myself, two laptops), and this one is one of the most painful, I have to say, unfortunately. I wanted to do this special ML build for my wife and not have to go with the dreaded Windows 8. I was hoping to have everything worked out and was planning on posting a guide here on this thread for everyone else with the A5-171, but I'm stuck too. I can't even get to the damn installer. It keeps kernel panicking just as it tries to go into the installer. Really, really, frustrating. I've tried about 10 different boot flag combinations too. I took out 1 stick of RAM thinking that may be the issue - still same kernel panic. I even took out the internal wi-fi card since it seems to say something about Bluetooth before it hangs. I also updated by BIOS from 2.04 to 2.15 - same kernel panic. The kernel panics I'm getting (no matter what boot flag combo - or whatever tinkering I do) is one of two. It seems to panic at either the 'com.apple.AppleFSCompressionLantypeZlibload succeeded' area, or the '[IOBluetoothHCIController::setConfigState] calling registerService' spot. Pictures are attached to this post. Once it halts on those spots, it will then just repeat 'Still waiting for root device' over and over and over.

At this point, I'm just about ready to throw in the towel, and I hear you Methanoid .. "I will not be beaten". I too always say that when doing builds, but this one may have broken me. I spent several hours last night doing all of what I just wrote above and can't spend too much more time on it. I even bought a new half sized wi-fi card (yet to be installed) for it that works OOB. Again, these A5-171 'ultrabooks' seem to really have great potential, that's what's killing me.

So, hoping you all can inspire me to give me some options to get this thing working. I've attached some screenshots of where the installer is kernel panicking - if anyone can assist with these specific kernel panics, PLEASE do :)

Aside from what I already mentioned above, here is more info:

* Install method - I'm using a 8GB USB drive w/ unibeast & multibeast from December timeframe and 10.8.0 (used this same USB drive for 2 other desktop ML installs that were successful - then did combo update to 10.8.3 just fine)

* I think the BIOS on these 171's has a LOT to do with being able to get to the ML installer or not, and the kernel panics. Seems that the earlier BIOS's are working for folks, and the later ones are not. For example, it seems nobody can successfully install without panics if the BIOS is greater than the one Yamete is using, 2.01, and that one is no longer on Acer's website.

* Also, perhaps the folks who have successfully gotten through the installer to the ML desktop with the Unibeast method can post the screenshots of how their BIOS's are configured (only 4 separate screens) and their BIOS version? The BIOS here is potentially a spot where one incorrect setting will screw you.

* Oddly, after noticing by going through some Hardware Inventory apps (like Speecy and Belarc) on Win8 before I started to try the ML hackintosh install on this 171, one of the RAM sticks is 1333mhz and the other is 1600mhz. 4GB Nanya DDR3-1333 + 2GB Nanya DDR3-1333. However, like I mentioned earlier, I also tried taking out each stick to see if one worked over the other to get me to not kernel panic, but same panic.

* Overall, seems like upon attempting the install/booting using Unibeast method - it goes through the motions fine, seems to load up okay until just about the end when it's supposed to hand it off to the hard drive or something and there's no 'handshake'. ?? At this point (when it panics and I see it panic in Verbose mode) the USB thumb drive is not lit up anymore like it was when it was loading/installing from it.

* This damn kernel panic that ultimately winds up reading and repeating over and over "Still waiting for root device" is driving me bat$&*!

If I give it one more attempt with some of your assistance, I will gladly start a guide on this or, work with anyone else who is interested in getting an entire, easy to understand and simple, guide together on the V5-171's.

Finally, a couple notes: I have the Acer Aspire V5-171-6422. Really would like to at least get to the ML installer without kernel panics - without xmove, and with its own internal hard drive, as I've been trying to do.

Attachments

• photo-8.JPG
    photo-8.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 264
  • photo-9.JPG
    photo-9.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 349
  • 171 Bios.jpg
    171 Bios.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 907
Welcome mhbalough123 - hope you'll be sharing unlike SOME people who have posted in this thread who don't ;-)

Personally I gave up on Unibeast method. I have installed successfully with the xMove method as outlined in last post so I would recommend that. You need access to a Mac or working Hackintosh to do that though. I dont think there is a way to downgrade so you just have to make the xMove method work. Its a PITA but it does work.

Now its just a case of getting the boot flags, kexts and boot.plists all correct. I will continue to share whatever I learn.

Believe someone asked for the BIOS screenshots...here they are...I am on 2.01...! Also, to clarify, aside from the kexts for sound, battery & trackpad (from osx86.net), all the other kexts mentioned in my posts come from Multibeast...mine at the time was 5.2.1...
BTW, when I installed the PS2 stuffs from Multibeast, my system never recovered from the reboot...keyboard was working OOTB, it was the trackpad that wasn't...until the osx86.net kexts...so, it's always good to have a couple OSX partitions to test things...
Aside from these pix, I've documented on this thread everything that I've done to get the Acer to where it is at now...! Looks like being able to boot from Unibeast install USB might be really dependent on the BIOS...
Also, if you have figured out how to fix the USB problem, where the USB recognizes the USB mouse, but not the USB pen drive, please let us know...! thanks!

Attachments

• 102_1514.JPG
    102_1514.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 358
  • 102_1515.JPG
    102_1515.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 460
  • 102_1516.JPG
    102_1516.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 2,033
BTW, when I installed the PS2 stuffs from Multibeast, my system never recovered from the reboot...keyboard was working OOTB, it was the trackpad that wasn't...until the osx86.net kexts...so, it's always good to have a couple OSX partitions to test things...

Also, if you have figured out how to fix the USB problem, where the USB recognizes the USB mouse, but not the USB pen drive, please let us know...! thanks!

Yamete,

1) Just email me alright? ;-)

2) Post your boot.plist - I would like to see and compare!

3) Re PS2 kexts - you used the Multibeast ones AND the OSX86.net ones? And KB and Trackpad work?

4) USB problem - what have you tried? http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=48732 ??

yamette -- thanks for posting your (3) BIOS screenshots. Can you also please post the only remaining one - the one on your 'Boot' BIOS tab? That's the one that I'm very interested in. I still have a feeling when I make my install attempts with Unibeast, it's making it all the way up to the hard drive 'handoff', in other words: the point at which the Unibeast install method tries to write to the hard drive, and craps out there somehow. Hence, the kernel panics I'm getting per my attachments from yesterday. Also, might you still have the .exe of your 2.01 BIOS? It's not on Acer's website as they start with 2.04 and go up from there. I'd like to start with the same BIOS you have and get to the ML installer at least, using Unibeast & Multibeast method.

I also noticed from your screenshots that your 171 appears slightly different from mine. In the lower left hand corner of the pictures, it looked like a small battery light??? My 171 does not have that. What exact 171 do you all have? I have the V5-171-6422.

If I can get past the kernel panics on my install attempts and get to a ML installer screen, I promise I will help with every single kext to get these 171's in the best working order as possible. And I know the USB issue for yamette is bothersome. I need to at least get through the kernel panics to help out with the other stuff.

yamette -- thanks for posting your (3) BIOS screenshots. Can you also please post the only remaining one - the one on your 'Boot' BIOS tab? That's the one that I'm very interested in. I still have a feeling when I make my install attempts with Unibeast, it's making it all the way up to the hard drive 'handoff', in other words: the point at which the Unibeast install method tries to write to the hard drive, and craps out there somehow. Hence, the kernel panics I'm getting per my attachments from yesterday. Also, might you still have the .exe of your 2.01 BIOS? It's not on Acer's website as they start with 2.04 and go up from there. I'd like to start with the same BIOS you have and get to the ML installer at least, using Unibeast & Multibeast method.

I also noticed from your screenshots that your 171 appears slightly different from mine. In the lower left hand corner of the pictures, it looked like a small battery light??? My 171 does not have that. What exact 171 do you all have? I have the V5-171-6422.

If I can get past the kernel panics on my install attempts and get to a ML installer screen, I promise I will help with every single kext to get these 171's in the best working order as possible. And I know the USB issue for yamette is bothersome. I need to at least get through the kernel panics to help out with the other stuff.

Forgot to include the last screenshot...here it is...sorry, don't have exe for 2.01, that came with the laptop...and I didn't upgrade it...since Unibeast worked when the right flags were issued (-v -x)...
the lower left blue light is the on/off button for the laptop...mine is an acer v5-171-6422 same as yours...
tried the suggested USBBusFix=Yes, but didn't work...

Attachments

• 102_1518.JPG
    102_1518.JPG
    189.1 KB · Views: 489
Yamete,

1) Just email me alright? ;-)

2) Post your boot.plist - I would like to see and compare!

3) Re PS2 kexts - you used the Multibeast ones AND the OSX86.net ones? And KB and Trackpad work?

4) USB problem - what have you tried? http://legacy.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=48732 ??

I rarely check my emails...so we R doing good here on this forum...so, that we have only 1 place to deal with the ace v5-171 OSX issues...
Posted the org.chameleon.Boot.plist, if that's what U R asking for...?
For the PS2 stuffs, when Multibeast PS2 bombed, I just installed the osx86.net onto another, clean OSX partition...with NO Multibeast PS2 kexts...that's why it's so important to have multiple OSX partitions during hackintosh builds...
Thanks for the USBBusFix=Yes suggestion, but it didn't work...but, R U experiencing it?

Attachments

• org.chameleon.Boot.plist
    880 bytes · Views: 260
Also, might you still have the .exe of your 2.01 BIOS? It's not on Acer's website as they start with 2.04 and go up from there. I'd like to start with the same BIOS you have and get to the ML installer at least, using Unibeast & Multibeast method.

You did spot my mention of the MANY HOURS I spent reading and trying to downgrade BIOS? ;-) My son and I concluded that the only remaining POSSIBILITY to downgrade would be to deliberately flash a corrupt BIOS to then allow the Recovery Flash to put a new one on and then use an older version. I am not the kind of person to give up but believe me I tried everything I could to downgrade... If you can manage it then you ARE a better man than me!!!!

I rarely check my emails...so we R doing good here on this forum...so, that we have only 1 place to deal with the ace v5-171 OSX issues...
Posted the org.chameleon.Boot.plist, if that's what U R asking for...?
For the PS2 stuffs, when Multibeast PS2 bombed, I just installed the osx86.net onto another, clean OSX partition...with NO Multibeast PS2 kexts...that's why it's so important to have multiple OSX partitions during hackintosh builds...
Thanks for the USBBusFix=Yes suggestion, but it didn't work...but, R U experiencing it?

Thanks for the Plist.. yes thats the one I wanted... :)

There is also another USB EHCI type flag if memory serves. Might work? I'll try myself shortly... assuming I get the resolution etc working with the Plist!!

You did spot my mention of the MANY HOURS I spent reading and trying to downgrade BIOS? ;-) My son and I concluded that the only remaining POSSIBILITY to downgrade would be to deliberately flash a corrupt BIOS to then allow the Recovery Flash to put a new one on and then use an older version. I am not the kind of person to give up but believe me I tried everything I could to downgrade... If you can manage it then you ARE a better man than me!!!!

Thanks for the Plist.. yes thats the one I wanted... :)

There is also another USB EHCI type flag if memory serves. Might work? I'll try myself shortly... assuming I get the resolution etc working with the Plist!!

For the USB, tried each one individually, and all together...still no work...
USB Bus Fix
EHCI Acquire Fix
UHCI Reset Fix
USB Legacy Off

Perplexing, but we are living in an imperfect world...

I wonder if Crabhunter has USB working but since he doesnt want to contribute I doubt we will find out :(

I have now got up and running (with my xMove method but I have some ideas how to get Unibeast working again!) and booting OSX, Win8 and Ubuntu nicely. No joy on USB yet. DSDT & Audio I sourced doesn't work as Yamete confirmed :( Will go back and look again at that.

On LAN, you cannot just copy the kext into position. Looks like you need to insert into IONetworkingFamily.kext and then install that so will try that shortly.

Four issues remaining for me - two major and two minor:

1) USB (as above)

2) Sound (as above) - I am determined to get DSDT etc working as that will probably also solve sleep and CPU throttling issues (and mean no NullCPUPowerManagement needed)

3) I seem to need to ignore boot caches to get it to boot (-f).. Any ideas how to stop that?

4) Yamete has his showing as MacBook Air (can you post the smbios.plist you use for that?) and I *want*!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back