Contribute
Register

Accidentally installed Clover on a ML / Chameleon drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I choose the new drive, UEFI, I get clover, and it still thinks I can "Boot macOS from Mountain Lion." selecting that gets me a grey screen with apple logo, then grey screen with the crossed out circle icon.
That typically happens when there is a problem with FakeSMC.kext.
You should copy it to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other

This may be a dumb question but can I switch the ML install to a Clover setup easily, so that I can have both running and switch at will?
It's certainly possible, whether you can do it remains to be seen.

That typically happens when there is a problem with FakeSMC.kext.
You should copy it to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other

That would be on Mountain Lion, but I can't just install Clover there can I?

Any advice on getting the ML drive to be an option in the MultiBeast install so I can try to re-install-of-chimera idea?

That would be on Mountain Lion, but I can't just install Clover there can I?

Any advice on getting the ML drive to be an option in the MultiBeast install so I can try to re-install-of-chimera idea?
I'm losing track.
If you can just state your desired end point we can try to work out how to get there.

Sorry, yes. El Capitan install via Clover seems to be fine for now. Well enough alone.

THE GOAL

Is to get the Mountain Lion install back up and running. This is a separate drive that was working till I accidentally put Clover on it Sunday.

I understand and like your idea to use MultiBeast to rebuild the Chimera bootloader files, but MultiBeast 5.5.5 skips the Destination Pane and only gives me El Capitan (the wrong drive) as an option.

Let me know if that helps, thanks.

Sorry, yes. El Capitan install via Clover seems to be fine for now. Well enough alone.

THE GOAL

Is to get the Mountain Lion install back up and running. This is a separate drive that was working till I accidentally put Clover on it Sunday.

Let me know if that helps, thanks.
You could use your El Capitan disk to create a Mountain Lion UniBeast installer which you could then use to boot your Mountain Lion installation. This method presupposes that you have a copy of the Mountain Lion install app.
You could then run MultiBeast for ML to install the Chimera boot loader.

I understand and like your idea to use MultiBeast to rebuild the Chimera bootloader files, but MultiBeast 5.5.5 skips the Destination Pane and only gives me El Capitan (the wrong drive) as an option.
This is because your BIOS boots in Legacy mode or UEFI mode - You would have to switch modes in your settings when you wish to boot the other operating system.

An alternative method would be to boot your El Capitan disk with the Mountain Lion disk attached and then use MultiBeast for ML to install the Chimera boot loader onto your ML disk. You would still have to switch BIOS modes to boot the other OS.

Last edited:
I do still have the Install ML app, so I could create a new USB installer. I'm hesitant as I had to tweak a bunch of little things to get it fully running, not thrilled about going back down that road.

Where / how do I switch BIOS modes? Haven't been able to find that info for my Gigabyte board in their documentation anywhere so far.

An alternative method would be to boot your El Capitan disk with the Mountain Lion disk attached and then use MultiBeast for ML to install the Chimera boot loader onto your ML disk. You would still have to switch BIOS modes to boot the other OS.

This is what I tried - but it wouldn't let me install to the ML disk, as I said doesn't even show up.

I do still have the Install ML app, so I could create a new USB installer. I'm hesitant as I had to tweak a bunch of little things to get it fully running, not thrilled about going back down that road.

Where / how do I switch BIOS modes? Haven't been able to find that info for my Gigabyte board in their documentation anywhere so far.

This is what I tried - but it wouldn't let me install to the ML disk, as I said doesn't even show up.
No more ideas.

Hey Adam, Russell here. Unplug the SSD with El Crapitan on it. Use a Thumb drive with chameleon on it. Set the bios to boot off of the thumb drive (or repeatedly hit F8 during boot up and select the thumb drive). The chameleon bootloader should see the ML partition. If it fails to boot ML, there's some work to be done to make that happen.... Hopefully you have a backup of your 'Extra' folder from ML

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back