Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Intel Nuc
CPU
i5-4250U Haswell
Graphics
Intel HD5000
I accidentally deleted the whole /System/Library/Extensions when I tried to delete a kext I was messing around with.

I mounted the recovery partition and copied the directory from it. But after restarting I won't get past the login screen. What should I do now?

I accidentally deleted the whole /System/Library/Extensions when I tried to delete a kext I was messing around with.

I mounted the recovery partition and copied the directory from it. But after restarting I won't get past the login screen. What should I do now?

Hopefully if you do a new installation - without formatting the destination drive - it should restore macOS to a working condition and not delete any data. No promises though as we haven't seen what actually happened or how etc. Sounds nasty.

The only way I can think of is to "accidentally" restore from a complete CCC backup or whatever you used for creating a backup image. If you do not have such a "thing" then for the future I suggest to "accidentally" invest in the effort and time in a reliable "image" backup scheme to prevent yourself, or anybody else for that matter, from "accidentally" elevating your machine into a limbo again. For now be rest assured that "Time Machine" will not be able to restore your deleted /S/L/E folder. I also believe neither will a reinstallation over the "broken" system relieve you from your current misery.

Greetings

Henties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back