Graphics
none
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hopefully i'm posting in the right place..

I'm having issues with my newly installed Accel card, some of my busses have random white noise.
the noise is always present but going up and down in level. (sounds like a wind on a mic)
my pro tools setup have been working flawlesly for 1 year with just the core card installed, but my accel card trigged this issue. (without accel card its ok)
please see video link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ddy9pxaxdcai93/IMG_0565.MOV

I have moved my cards in every possible position on the PCI-bus (core card, accel card and display card) without any difference.

main board: GA z77-ud5h
core and accel PCIe
Nvidia display adapter

any suggestions are highly appreciated

Did you buy the accel card used? perhaps it is defective? What interfaces are you running?

I have HD2 pci-e also and it's working fine, but I am the original owner of the cards.

Hi
Thanks for answering
I bought the card used, and have sent an email to the previous owner. Hopefully he have some additional information.

Could firmware mismatch explain the problem? I assumed DigiTest would detect most hardware faults and mismatches. (I believe core card is F.rev and accel is A.rev)
Only interface in use is a 192 that came with the core card… connected to the core card.

I’m experienced with PC components and setup, but have little experience with Pro Tools HD. Could I be missing on some basic pro tools theory?
I have not reinstalled Pro Tools or any drivers yet, but I’ll build a test machine of old components to exclude hardware/mobo issues.

You are going to want to connect the cable from the 192 IO to the Accel card, not the core card.

Let me know if that helps.

hmmm.... I was under the impression that the 192 had to be connected to the core card, or first card on bus if you only have one interface?
Anyway, I tried connecting it to the accel card but then my core audio and pro tools won’t even start. (digitest and rebooted, error in digimanager: HW in use)
What do you think would make a difference when the 192 is connected to the accel card?

Also, I’m using digital signal to my monitors, I’ll try the analog signal from the 192 just to confirm any clocking/synch issues between the cards.

I run apogee AD16x/DA16x interfaces and have them connected to my accel card and it works fine. I've always connected my HD system to the last card (accel) in the series.

Anyway, how do you have the cards configured on the motherboard? You are running the cards in Pci-e x16 slots right? And both cards have to be connected together with a TDM flex-cable. I'm looking at pictures of your motherboard and it looks like you will need a TDM slot extender to achieve this since you don't have consecutive pci-e x16 slots.

I’we moved the cards around in every possible way, but I see that this motherboard doesn’t have x16 slots next to each other.. maybe this is the reason… seems logic L
Guess I just assumed PciEx ports would work.

There is only one x16 port, and if I use the x16 and the x8 I believe both will be x8? Will it still be possible to use HD2 or do I need another motherboard?
Hopefully I have a pcie port extender in my workshop.

Hello
Apologize my delayed reply.
I used a raiser cards(slot extender) to connect my cards the way you purposed Subaro0o. The problem is exactly as before. Strange noise from the Accel card I believe.
Then I made a TDM slot extender same as Bob Nagy.. same result. I also purchased a extender from Bob just to exclude issues with my homemade... same result

I’m starting to believe my noise problem is caused by software issues, Bios settings or motherboard. As I don’t have a spare Accel card I cannot exclude a faulty Accel card either.
Everything seems normal until I’m out of processors on the core card, when I add more voices, plugin or tracks from this point the noise increases every time.
This is the reason I from start believed it was the Accel card failing.

Any tips on what could cause this noise?? Or correct Bios settings regarding bus parameters?

It's hard to say because I've never experienced this problem before. I've had my cards in a macpro 1,1, a sabertooth x58, and now the sabertooth x79 and they've always functioned correctly. Are they in x16 slots? I know they built the pcb with a x1 connector but they're supposed to go into x16 slots.

I don't believe it has anything to do with your bios.

I've been playing with pro tools hardware for a long time, I will help you as much as I can!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back