Contribute
Register

About to do new FULL ATX Build Wanted buying advice on what Z390 full ATX board to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should use Z390, and your client should use X299, which has either 44 or 48 lanes (although 48-lane boards are not hackintosh compatible).

(Personally, I would get a Z370 board. They're less hassle for hackintoshing.)

For your 2 NVMe drives, I like this adapter card - get 2 of them: https://www.ebay.com/itm/112468442098

Generally, desktop chipset boards don't have CPU-connected M.2 slots built in, so you need the adapters if you're doing RAID 0. X299 chipset boards sometimes have 1 or more CPU-connected M.2 slots.

By the way, if what you're after is a more responsive OS, then don't do RAID 0. It mainly helps with sequential read/write speeds.

Motherboard is defiantly going to be a Z390 as I'm using a i9-9900K There just isn't really anything more compelling on the intel side o things right now. The Raid I was asking about for myself I was thinking about getting a couple 500GB M.2 drives and making a in the Disk Utility setting it up as a Raid 0 and making it my system drive. I'm just curious about wha the dependability about something like this is. From what I understand this is the way that the iMac Pro and the "NEW" Mac Pro both operate.

However I have a client that wants to run one fo the 4X M.2 Hyper cards from ASUS. and have that loaded with 4 1TB 970 plus drives for the purposes of video editing.

But honestly I don't even understand how one of these works. from what I have read the i9 only has like 16 PCIe lanes anyway so as soon as you plug anything in any other card you are dropping the graphics from 16 to 8 to make lanes available is that correct?

If you want to use four NVMe SSDs on Z390, you'd need to put that Hyper card in the PCI-e x16 slot. Then you'd have to use one of the PCH PCI-e slots for your video card. This would probably bottleneck the video card a bit depending on whether the slot is x1 or x4.

use one of the PCH PCI-e slots for your video card

OS X doesn't mind it?

x8 usually doesn't affect much, most commonly only games that load texture data at a very high rate. x4 is more of a handicap, I'd say, but if you just need a display adapter it's alright. x1 for the GPU would be quite strange, IMO.

OS X doesn't mind it?

x8 usually doesn't affect much, most commonly only games that load texture data at a very high rate. x4 is more of a handicap, I'd say, but if you just need a display adapter it's alright. x1 for the GPU would be quite strange, IMO.

It should work fine.

On Z370 and Z390, there aren't enough lanes left and, usually, there are no x8 slots from PCH so x4 is most likely the best you can get. So, there will be some bottlenecking. I think that for most things x4 would still be acceptable...

Btw, do you still have your Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming motherboard? If yes, I have native NVRAM working on mine.

Got it to post with the i9-9900K needed to reset the BIOS I must have had it on PCIE graphics only or something

Hey man can you give me a list of you BIOS setting for F9g and perhaps a copy of you EFI? I wanna try getting this Z390M up and running with this i9-9900KF and the Sapphire PULSE 5700XT

Also have you Tried OpenCore on one of these things yet?

I have heard good things about it. Like that it is better to use going forward as apple makes changes.

Last edited:
Got it to post with the i9-9900K needed to reset the BIOS I must have had it on PCIE graphics only or something

Hey man can you give me a list of you BIOS setting for F9g and perhaps a copy of you EFI? I wanna try getting this Z390M up and running with this i9-9900KF and the Sapphire PULSE 5700XT

Also have you Tried OpenCore on one of these things yet?

I have heard good things about it. Like that it is better to use going forward as apple makes changes.

All the info you need and the EFIs are in my Z390 build thread. Link is below in my signature. Btw, I highly recommend updating to BIOS version F9g.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back