Contribute
Register

"About This Mac" shows wrong Processor speed even with "Cpu > Frequency MHz" set correctly in Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
WX 7100
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I overclocked my Z170X-UD5 TH, i7-6700K Hackintosh the simple way, via Gigabyte's "CPU Upgrade" option in the BIOS.
The system seems to run smoothly so far and performs notably better (much higher Geekbench result for instance).
Also, the clock of 4.5 GHz is correctly represented in Intel's Power Gadget.

However, the "About This Mac" dialogue is oddly stating a "4.3 GHz Intel Core i7" processor, which is not correct (should be 4.5 GHz. Or is this maybe the frequency the CPU is running without Turbo boost?

Here's what I did:
1. changed the BIOS settings under "M.I.T." > "Advanced Frequency Settings" to "CPU Upgrade i7-6700k CPU 4.5 GHz"
2. created a fresh SSDT for my overclocked CPU with ssdtPRGen.sh with
Code:
~/ssdtPRGen.sh -f 4500 -turbo 450
3. Added "4500" to "Frequency MHz" in "Cpu" in my Clover config.plist because the "About This Mac" dialog did not show the higher CPU frequency OOB and was still resting at 4.01 GHz.

I was reading through several overclocking guides but most of the people seem to ignore the wrongly stated values in the "About This Mac" dialogue.

Can anyone help me out with this? Did I do something wrong?

Many thanks in advance!

that's just cosmetic. if u wanna, just change
"/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/AppleSystemInfo.framework/Versions/A/Resources/YOUR_SYSTEM_LANGUAGE.lproj/AppleSystemInfo.strings" whatever name or clock u want. basically importants thing is matching mac systems model so u can use icloud service with ur apple id

that's just cosmetic. if u wanna, just change

Hi Handzo85

Yes, that's what everybody says. :) However, I would love to understand what's actually going on here. The value in "Cpu" > "Frequency MHz" in Clover seems to be somehow translated in the "About This Mac" dialogue (but not accurately).

Not a big deal, but I thought someone would maybe be able to explain to me what is actually going on here.

That being said, the machine runs like a breeze. :) Was using it for hours now with extensive load on the CPU and had not experienced a single problem so far.

Many thanks for chiming in!

Best

Amadeus

I have no cpu description at all, and everything I usually do doesn't work
Screenshot 2020-07-28 at 18.47.40.png

Hi Handzo85

Yes, that's what everybody says. :) However, I would love to understand what's actually going on here. The value in "Cpu" > "Frequency MHz" in Clover seems to be somehow translated in the "About This Mac" dialogue (but not accurately).

Not a big deal, but I thought someone would maybe be able to explain to me what is actually going on here.

That being said, the machine runs like a breeze. :) Was using it for hours now with extensive load on the CPU and had not experienced a single problem so far.

Many thanks for chiming in!

Best

Amadeus

Since someone necroed your post, I do not know about configuring it in clover but about Mac reads the Base Freq directly from the chip model code read from the chip. You can change it yourself however, every OS update will cause about mac, to revert back to default. In addition, when you make it read correctly you are simply manually inputting the information you could put Apple sucks I7 5GHz.

If Intel gadget reports correctly it is correct.

I am not sure you should be putting anything into the fields in clover under CPU it has always been left blank for me and I can not see an equal setting in Open core.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back