Graphics
ATI Radeon HD 5450
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have recently tried to install Mountain Lion on my computer, though I cannot boot from the USB stick containing the files. My system is:
Motherboard: Abit IP35 Pro
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz
Memory: 3GB DDR2 PC6400 Corsair ram

Can anyone help me boot from the USB stick so I can install mountain lion?

Hi Plasticcow,

I believe you're having problems probably because maybe you haven't enabled Onchip SATA mode > AHCI in your BIOS under Integrated Peripherals and Hard Disk priority set as the Unibeast USB stick under Advanced BIOS Features - this is why it isn't booting from the USB. However I have read that there is a problem with your board in that when AHCI is enabled on your Abit board, the USB keyboard doesn't work, only a PS/2 keyboard. However updating to version 16 of the BIOS solves this issue > http://www.lejabeach.com/ABIT/IP35Pro/m629b16.zip so you'll need to do that first.

Report back if you got any issues...

Hi,

Thanks for responding, although when I tried using those settings in the BIOS and rebooted I received this screen. It's odd how I can see it in the BIOS in the hard drive priority bit, though it is just unable to boot from it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,641
Have you formatted your USB stick correctly and installed Unibeast onto it? It must be Master Boot Record partitioned, using Macintosh Extended (Journaled) format.

The USB stick should be fine - I followed the instructions here on tonymacx86 and was able to boot into the installer on a netbook I have. So it is most likely a problem with my motherboard or BIOS? Also, I saw on a video that someone used GUID Partition Table instead of Master Boot Record (I used Master Boot Record). The video: http://youtu.be/N4fpYnzqHEM
Their installation seemed to work fine...

It could be a BIOS issue.....what version of BIOS are you running? If old, have you updated it to the v16 BIOS? Also noticed you don't seem to have a SATA hard drive attached here I see.

I am running BIOS version 14 (need to update) and I do have a sata drive, though it might not be shown as the USB stick is first priority?

Normally if you have a SATA drive attached, it should also show up in the BIOS regardless of whether you have a USB booting or not. So it's possible you could have a BIOS/motherboard issue. I would suggest in this case you update to the version 16 BIOS first for your board, as it also has a USB keyboard detection & AHCI conflict issue which version 16 BIOS resolves. Change that first and try booting from your USB stick again.

So should I use a disc to flash it? Also, should I get version 16 or 17 of the BIOS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back