Contribute
Register

Ability to read welcome message

Just reged. See I got inbox message "Welcome to tonymacx86.com!"
Guess I should read it since it might include some rules.
Nope "You need to have 75 posts to be able to see your conversations. "
okay then ..

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
Then there must be something wrong with the config cause I click on the envelope top-right, I click the welcome message's subject link in popup, and I see the 75 posts message error. I did not try to send a PM.

Anyway, I see the message was send via email too. Just thought it was kinda broken that I can not even read the private message send by the forum during sign up and would bring it to your attention.

Motherboard
Dell 9020 MT-A25
CPU
i7-4790
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
128K, iMac
Mobile Phone
iOS
You only need to have 75 posts to send a PM not to receive one.
Hi @trs96!

Unfortunately, this is incorrect. I've had people (like you) message me, and I cannot read the messages here on the TM site. As @lesliey said, when I click on the incoming message/Conversation, I see the "You need to have 75 posts to be able to see your conversations" message. This is a problem.

Not only are we unable to reply to Conversations someone starts with us (which looks rude, since that user will likely see us as simply ignoring them), we cannot coordinate about anything. I tried to ask the site management about this via the Contact Us option, but the response I got was, "We discourage the use of Conversations so that answers are available for all members to browse". Problem is, not everything is an answer, or even working towards an answer.

Example: as a result of people bringing up OpenCore/VirtualSMC in your OptiMac 9020 thread, I wrote up a note I expected to be able to send directly to you. It was asking if you would like to start a OpenCore/VirtualSMC-focused OptiMac spin-off thread (so you would own it) or if I should go ahead and create one. My thought was that I could use such a thread to document my experiences as some of us explore the OC/VSMC approach on a 9020 build, which will likely become the default, eventually. Then I found I could not send it to you. That's a good example of a question with an audience of one. Forcing that question to become a 'post' would simply be noise to all other users in your OptiMac thread. But it's an example of a quick/simple/appropriate use of a Conversation. And as a result, the thread was not started. I signed off to go do something less frustrating.

It looks to some like the "everything in public threads" approach is more concerned with generating clicks, than offering curated content (let alone well-crafted guides, such as yours).

And for many new users, it's really de-motivating. I'm much more likely to simply leave, rather than writing up some of my own guides/build experiences. I'm not going to have my 'hallway coordination' conversations forced to pollute threads.

Perhaps it's something for Mods/Admins to consider.

Cheers!

trs96

Motherboard
GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK
CPU
i5-4690K
Graphics
HD4600 / RX 570
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
Android
It was asking if you would like to start a OpenCore/VirtualSMC-focused OptiMac spin-off thread (so you would own it) or if I should go ahead and create one. My thought was that I could use such a thread to document my experiences as some of us explore the OC/VSMC approach on a 9020 build, which will likely become the default, eventually.
You can start a new 9020 thread with a focus on OpenCore and VSMC. I've already got enough user builds and guides to suppport and maintain and don't need another one. I do apologize about the inability to even read a PM. Didn't know that was the case. So, yes start the new thread and you'll quickly be above 75 posts so that those options are available to you.