Contribute
Register

A solution for Wifi when you don't have a supported Hackintosh card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I'm on a Dell Inspiron N5110 but this method should work on other computers.

Things you'll need:

1. A running Hackintosh without wifi

2. Horndis Package
(install the latest one here from another computer and move it to your mackintosh via USB: http://joshuawise.com/horndis)

3. USB working on your Hackintosh (you need to be able to connect a device to your computer.)

4. A device with USB Tethering.

A common misconception with this method is that you need to use Mobile Data in order for this to work. This is the case on some phones, but if your phone or tablet lets you enable USB Tethering while your Mobile Data is off and Wifi is on then you can do this without using Data.

I know this can work without Data, because my setup is with a Wifi Only Nexus 7 2nd generation Tablet. The internet speed is incredibly fast to so I honestly don't think I'm going to invest in a wireless card as I don't need one.

Once you have the Horndis Package on your hackintosh, and a phone or tablet with USB tethering enabled, you can proceed to these next steps.

1. Turn off Mobile Networking on your phone or tablet. (You don't have to do this on a Wifi Only tablet and this method will work with these devices to.)

2. Go into your device's settings. If you are running Android 4.4.2 then from the top of the settings screen note where Wifi, Bluetooth, and the Data usage settings are located. If these three are in order, and there is a "more" option below them then click this. If your device is setup differently, look through your settings and find "Tethering" or "Tethering & portable hotspot" this is the option you want.

3. Enable USB Tethering. Your device might turn off your wifi and tell you that you need to be subscribed to use this feature. If this happens, then this method might not work for you. If you can enable USB Tethering, turn off your Mobile Network and leave your Wifi connection running then move on to step 4.

4. You're almost there, now you just need to install the Horndis Package on your Hackintosh. Run through the setup, let it install, and then restart your computer.

5. I can't stress to make sure your Mobile Data is disabled before doing this. Not that it doesn't work with data, but at least where I live I don't have the greatest mobile service, and my Wifi network is much faster. Trying this method using my LG G2's Mobile Data resulted in slow internet speeds.

My LG G2 doesn't let me enable Tethering with Mobile Data Off and Wifi On either. That is why I'm now using my Nexus 7 2nd generation. With my Nexus 7 I can enable USB Tethering and the device can't use Mobile Data, so this method turns my device into a working USB Wifi dongle!

6. Once you've installed Horndis and restarted your computer, you should be able to connect your device with tethering enabled. To make sure the method worked check your Network settings. This is what it should look like. You should see the name of your device with a green dot and you will be able to use the internet!

image.tiff
Good luck getting internet on your hackintosh!

Attachments

• Internet.tiff
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,603
Last edited by a moderator:
Note for El Capitan:
The package doesn't start working as soon as tethering is started. You need to unload the kext manually kextload it again to get it working.
Here's the script:

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/HoRNDIS.kext && sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/HoRNDIS.kext

Note for El Capitan:
The package doesn't start working as soon as tethering is started. You need to unload the kext manually kextload it again to get it working.
Here's the script:

sudo kextunload /System/Library/Extensions/HoRNDIS.kext && sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/HoRNDIS.kext

Works just fine for sierra, didn't have to unload any kext.
install the latest version available -> reboot -> plug and play

^ This is exactly how it worked for me on el capitan

Things you'll need:

2. Horndis Package
(install the latest one here from another computer and move it to your mackintosh via USB: http://joshuawise.com/horndis)

3. USB working on your Hackintosh (you need to be able to connect a device to your computer.)

A common misconception with this method is that you need to use Mobile Data in order for this to work. This is the case on some phones, but if your phone or tablet lets you enable USB Tethering while your Mobile Data is off and Wifi is on then you can do this without using Data.

I know this can work without Data, because my setup is with a Wifi Only Nexus 7 2nd generation Tablet. The internet speed is incredibly fast to so I honestly don't think I'm going to invest in a wireless card as I don't need one.

Once you have the Horndis Package on your hackintosh, and a phone or tablet with USB tethering enabled, you can proceed to these next steps.

1. Turn off Mobile Networking on your phone or tablet. (You don't have to do this on a Wifi Only tablet and this method will work with these devices to.)

2. Go into your device's settings. If you are running Android 4.4.2 then from the top of the settings screen note where Wifi, Bluetooth, and the Data usage settings are located. If these three are in order, and there is a "more" option below them then click this. If your device is setup differently, look through your settings and find "Tethering" or "Tethering & portable hotspot" this is the option you want.

3. Enable USB Tethering. Your device might turn off your wifi and tell you that you need to be subscribed to use this feature. If this happens, then this method might not work for you. If you can enable USB Tethering, turn off your Mobile Network and leave your Wifi connection running then move on to step 4.

4. You're almost there, now you just need to install the Horndis Package on your Hackintosh. Run through the setup, let it install, and then restart your computer.

5. I can't stress to make sure your Mobile Data is disabled before doing this. Not that it doesn't work with data, but at least where I live I don't have the greatest mobile service, and my Wifi network is much faster. Trying this method using my LG G2's Mobile Data resulted in slow internet speeds.

My LG G2 doesn't let me enable Tethering with Mobile Data Off and Wifi On either. That is why I'm now using my Nexus 7 2nd generation. With my Nexus 7 I can enable USB Tethering and the device can't use Mobile Data, so this method turns my device into a working USB Wifi dongle!

6. Once you've installed Horndis and restarted your computer, you should be able to connect your device with tethering enabled. To make sure the method worked check your Network settings. This is what it should look like. You should see the name of your device with a green dot and you will be able to use the internet!

image.tiff
is the Imessage working via this way? thank you

Things you'll need:

2. Horndis Package

image.tiff

It works dude

I didnt try this yet but when i use usb wifi share on my taab windows doesnt connect to the etherrnet connection that my tab sends will it work on mac Os i am using Yosemite 10.10:yawn:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back