Contribute
Register

A Skylake Cube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Neil,
...deleted... some lines...

I have a question regarding the AC adaptor. The adaptor I bought is a third party 19.5V 6.7A and it crackles quite loudly. Is this a faulty adaptor? Do I need to be concerned about it destroying the components?

Best regards,
Reilly

Sorry that I did not see this query until just now.

I sure don't like the "crackles quite loudly". I would probably not use that AC adaptor. With these "wall worts" AC to DC power supplies, you should on notice a small arc as they are plugged into a live AC outlet. Other then that they should be silent.

And I have used Dell laptops for years and never had a Dell power brick fail.

Good modding,
neil

Great build you got there.
Currently I am thinking about getting an mini STX board and build my own case for that.
But I couldn't find anything about the height of the board. Do you think its possible to get the
mainboard + low profile cpu cooler down to around 4-5cm?
Ram should have a height of 3cm. A cpu cooler has a height of 33 mm. I think the board itself
should not exceed 1 cm (except for the connectors of course).

And did you maybe find out what the difference is between the H110S1 and S2. I saw that
the S2 had dual lan and different vga connectors. Is there anything else? Or is there even
an advantage of the ASROCk board?

Sorry that I did not see this query until just now.

I sure don't like the "crackles quite loudly". I would probably not use that AC adaptor. With these "wall worts" AC to DC power supplies, you should on notice a small arc as they are plugged into a live AC outlet. Other then that they should be silent.

And I have used Dell laptops for years and never had a Dell power brick fail.

Good modding,
neil

That's okay. I wrote to the company and got the AC adaptor replaced immediately with a supposedly better one from and it doesn't make any strange noises, however, the motherboard makes some high pitched hissy/whining noises. Not all the time but quite often.

The adaptor I have is a 3rd party laptop adaptor from Poland. It is rated at 130W. Should I maybe be using a higher rated power adaptor? Something around 200W? These things are hard for me to tell. I can get an original dell 200W adaptor from Amazon where I live. It's expensive but if I need it I will get it.

That's okay. I wrote to the company and got the AC adaptor replaced immediately with a supposedly better one from and it doesn't make any strange noises, however, the motherboard makes some high pitched hissy/whining noises. Not all the time but quite often.

The adaptor I have is a 3rd party laptop adaptor from Poland. It is rated at 130W. Should I maybe be using a higher rated power adaptor? Something around 200W? These things are hard for me to tell. I can get an original dell 200W adaptor from Amazon where I live. It's expensive but if I need it I will get it.

My cube with the ASUS H110S1 motherboard pulls about 63 Watts with 100 CPU load running Prime95 torture test and running UNiGiNE Heaven benchmark also pulls about 60 Watts maximum from the AC input line (using a KillaWatt meter). So unless you have some special high load setup, I would think that your 130W adapter would be fine.

As far as the hissy/whining goes, I have read about the problem but I have not experienced it maybe because I am a little hard of hearing. Over on SSF Forum I have read that some end users have lessened the whine by adding epoxy to the coils on the open frame PSUs. If you find the whine un-acceptable, you might try doing an RMA back to ASUS for repair.

Good modding,
neil

Great build you got there.
Currently I am thinking about getting an mini STX board and build my own case for that.
But I couldn't find anything about the height of the board. Do you think its possible to get the
mainboard + low profile cpu cooler down to around 4-5cm?
Ram should have a height of 3cm. A cpu cooler has a height of 33 mm. I think the board itself
should not exceed 1 cm (except for the connectors of course).

And did you maybe find out what the difference is between the H110S1 and S2. I saw that
the S2 had dual lan and different vga connectors. Is there anything else? Or is there even
an advantage of the ASROCk board?

There is a section on low profile CPU coolers (do a search for it).

As for ASUS H110S1 or S2... today I probably would go with the ASRock motherboard as I think that it has a m.2 socket on the PCIe 3.0 -4x buss which allows maximum speed from m.2 form factor drives. On my ASUS H110S1 the m.2 drive while fast it is not at the PCIe 3.0 -4x speed.

Good modding,
neil

Just a note about my cube. I was having issues with the USB hub that I has installed as seen in this thread. So I pulled he hub out and re-cut the mounting plate for present a USB Type C female connector at the top of the cube. The was made possible by using Type C a male to female 12” cable that is now available in the market.

A similar cable can be sourced from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LI2X4ME/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Good modding,

neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back