Contribute
Register

A Skylake Cube

Status
Not open for further replies.
My experience with the ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming ITX is only with the Kaby Lake i7-7700T CPU.

Please check your specs. I think that there is an I7-6700T and a I5-6600T but not an I7-6600T. Anyway I did purchase and use an I7-6700T for some time before I damaged it in a project to the point that it would not boot and may have damaged a motherboard or two... Not a good thing to have going on, so I isolated that CPU and no longer use it. While it ran, I did have good performance from it with low temps and good cooling.

My current Kaby Lake experience is with an I7-7700T and an i3-7350K both systems are on my desk currently (I usually have two to four systems up and running when working on projects).

Now for my view of the world... I have never been found of mixing steps: meaning I would run Sky Lake CPUs with 10 Series motherboard and Kaby Lake CPUs with 20 Series motherboards.

Hi neilhart,

Thank you for your reply. I am now looking at different options for the motherboard for space reasons inside the G4 Cube. I will be using the i7-6700T (sorry for confusing in the last message with 6600T i meant 6700T).

I am looking at the following H110 mini ITX motherboards: Asus H110T, Asrock H110TM R2.0. I would love to get the Gigabyte GA-H170TM but it is not available in europe unfortunately.

I noticed with this skylake cube build you initially used the Asus H110T. What is your experience with this board? Do all features work with Sierra?

Best regards,
Reilly

Hi neilhart,

Thank you for your reply. I am now looking at different options for the motherboard for space reasons inside the G4 Cube. I will be using the i7-6700T (sorry for confusing in the last message with 6600T i meant 6700T).

I am looking at the following H110 mini ITX motherboards: Asus H110T, Asrock H110TM R2.0. I would love to get the Gigabyte GA-H170TM but it is not available in europe unfortunately.

I noticed with this skylake cube build you initially used the Asus H110T. What is your experience with this board? Do all features work with Sierra?

Best regards,
Reilly

I found that the ASUS H110T did not have a full length 80mm slot for the M.2 M key device. The max that it will accept is 60mm devices where not many exist in the market from my searching. Other then that the board will make a suitable G4 Cube system. I had the ASUS running EL Cap or Sierra (I don't recall which) but did not spend much time with it.

However the ASRock board is also inexpensive and does have a full 2280 length slot for the M.2 device, however it appears to be only SATA3 and not PCIe 4X. I would probably choose this motherboard over the ASUS.

The I7-6700T with either motherboard is a super combination for a G4 Cube project.

Good modding,
neil

I found that the ASUS H110T did not have a full length 80mm slot for the M.2 M key device. The max that it will accept is 60mm devices where not many exist in the market from my searching. Other then that the board will make a suitable G4 Cube system. I had the ASUS running EL Cap or Sierra (I don't recall which) but did not spend much time with it.

However the ASRock board is also inexpensive and does have a full 2280 length slot for the M.2 device, however it appears to be only SATA3 and not PCIe 4X. I would probably choose this motherboard over the ASUS.

The I7-6700T with either motherboard is a super combination for a G4 Cube project.

Hi Neilhart,

Sorry for the continual questions but I have just one more. Promise. I was looking and came across the Asus Q170T thin m-ITX motherboard. This has more features than the H110 thin m-ITX boards. It has all that I need: Thin, M.2 Pcie 4X 2280 slot and display port, but I can't find anyone that has used a Q170 motherboard in a hackintosh. Is there any reason for this? Are they compatible?

Best regards,
Reilly

Hi Neilhart,

Sorry for the continual questions but I have just one more. Promise. I was looking and came across the Asus Q170T thin m-ITX motherboard. This has more features than the H110 thin m-ITX boards. It has all that I need: Thin, M.2 Pcie 4X 2280 slot and display port, but I can't find anyone that has used a Q170 motherboard in a hackintosh. Is there any reason for this? Are they compatible?

Best regards,
Reilly

I have reviewed the specifications of the ASUS Q170T and I am of the opinion that this motherboard would be compatible with maxOS using the i7-6700T CPU.

Good modding,
neil

I have reviewed the specifications of the ASUS Q170T and I am of the opinion that this motherboard would be compatible with maxOS using the i7-6700T CPU.

Hi Neil,
Thank you and I have decided to go with this motherboard. All my components will arrive next week and I will begin the process of rebuilding the cube! I will do my best to incorporate the original heatsink in my modification.

Best regards,
Reilly

Hi Neil,
Thank you for your help in selecting the motherboard.
I have the components running and I was successfully able to install os sierra. I am able to successfully boot. Audio, one of the ethernet ports, wake from sleep doesn't work. I had a little hiccup initially because I was getting what I assume was a kernel panic on boot. So it would not let me boot. With my extremely limited knowledge on hackintoshing I was able to deduce from the text that it was something to do with the GPU crashing. With a little searching I found that increasing the dvmt in bios solved the problem.
I don't know anything about injecting kexts or anything so I have a lot to learn to get everything working properly.
I made a mistake by getting the Noctua NHl9i cooler which is just a few millimetres too thick to be able to fit the power and reset switches. I am waiting on getting the Gelid Slim Silence cooler now so I can fit the original power/reset switch and be able to put in some more usb ports.

I have a question regarding the AC adaptor. The adaptor I bought is a third party 19.5V 6.7A and it crackles quite loudly. Is this a faulty adaptor? Do I need to be concerned about it destroying the components?

Best regards,
Reilly

I made a mini G4 case with the h110s2, i5 7500 ,D9L, 2*16G and macOS Sierra
IMG_2008.JPG

Looks pretty neat! Would love to see more info and pictures (though probably in a new thread). Is that USB C coming out of the top?

Hello! Maybe someone could help me .. my deskmini 110 asrock mb - have failed, so i went for asus h110s1 mini-stx.
And it does not work with my old config from asrock ( attached )
actually it works, but only one HDMI port with 1080 only resolution. DP and other hdmi does not work - but i need DP 4K 60HZ for my 4k lenovo p27 (((
Any ideas ?

I am sorry that I can not help with the DP and 4k issue as I don't have a display of that type. Try posting in the Post Installation > Graphics forum.

Good modding,
neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back