Contribute
Register

A Skylake Cube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok thank you for your reply. I am also more inclined to go with a mini ITX motherboard at this point.

By good experience do you mean that the new 270 chipsets and 7xxx series cpus work fine? Is it worth getting the new stuff at this point? If not how long until there will be full compatibility with these cpus? I wouldn't mind future-proofing the system a little.

Thanks and all the best,
Reilly

it all depends on how much tinkering you want to do - since its not a supported platform yet, you will have issues. if you are ok with that and technical enough to know how to fix them then go for it. I chose to have less headaches and go with skylake, less headaches. what are you gaining by going with a 270 chipset? the 7700 is within a few % performance of the 6700 and uses slight less power. not worth it Imo

it all depends on how much tinkering you want to do - since its not a supported platform yet, you will have issues. if you are ok with that and technical enough to know how to fix them then go for it. I chose to have less headaches and go with skylake, less headaches. what are you gaining by going with a 270 chipset? the 7700 is within a few % performance of the 6700 and uses slight less power. not worth it Imo

Oh yes I fully agree. I am more than happy to get the 6700T also since I can get it for 100 Euro less on eBay. There isn't any benefit in getting the 7700T at all. I was just curious to know if it was supported. I don't follow computer technology at all so I'm trying to do a crash catchup on these forums the past few days.

I am, however, looking for a compatible motherboard that has a display port for a future 4k monitor @ 60hz and 2X M.2 for an ssd and wifi/bluetooth card. Is there a 170 chipset that has these?

Ok thank you for your reply. I am also more inclined to go with a mini ITX motherboard at this point.

By good experience do you mean that the new 270 chipsets and 7xxx series cpus work fine? Is it worth getting the new stuff at this point? If not how long until there will be full compatibility with these cpus? I wouldn't mind future-proofing the system a little.

Thanks and all the best,
Reilly

Yes the Kaby Lake motherboards that I have work as well if not better then the Sky Lake versions (as I have two of each). But then with these you are limited to El Cap and Sierra where as if you went with Haswell you can also run Mavericks and or Yosemite. My current favorite remains Mavericks 10.9.5 which I run on my main-workstation which is a Haswell system. One siginificant plus with the older versions of OS X is that the Disk Utility works so much better then the new versions found in 10.11 and 10.12. (Apple took a major step backwards with that app).

And with Kaby Lake the most recent version of Hardware Sensors and FakeSMC.kext, the HWMonitor.app is fully functional.

Good modding,
neil

I neil congrats for all your masterwork, from france
i will try to manage a mac G4 cube in 3 weeks quite like you, thank you for the inspiration
may i ask you a question ?
for the "sensitive on/off ir" dont you think i can get the 5 v from the pico-psu 160W (it will be my alimentation) directly?

For the touch sensor? Yes, you should be able to tap directly into the PicoPSU. It's easier to do if you have some kind of extender cable as you can avoid soldering to the PCB directly, but even that can be done.

Minihack put together a pretty comprehensive guide here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/cube-switch-modding.43924/

Yes the Kaby Lake motherboards that I have work as well if not better then the Sky Lake versions (as I have two of each). But then with these you are limited to El Cap and Sierra where as if you went with Haswell you can also run Mavericks and or Yosemite. My current favorite remains Mavericks 10.9.5 which I run on my main-workstation which is a Haswell system. One siginificant plus with the older versions of OS X is that the Disk Utility works so much better then the new versions found in 10.11 and 10.12. (Apple took a major step backwards with that app).

Ok thank you for your response. Do you recommend the ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming ITX motherboard then in combination with an i7 6600T for a Cube G4 modification? I will only be using macOS Sierra and future macOS updates.

Best regards,
Reilly

Ok thank you for your response. Do you recommend the ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming ITX motherboard then in combination with an i7 6600T for a Cube G4 modification? I will only be using macOS Sierra and future macOS updates.

Best regards,
Reilly

My experience with the ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming ITX is only with the Kaby Lake i7-7700T CPU.

Please check your specs. I think that there is an I7-6700T and a I5-6600T but not an I7-6600T. Anyway I did purchase and use an I7-6700T for some time before I damaged it in a project to the point that it would not boot and may have damaged a motherboard or two... Not a good thing to have going on, so I isolated that CPU and no longer use it. While it ran, I did have good performance from it with low temps and good cooling.

My current Kaby Lake experience is with an I7-7700T and an i3-7350K both systems are on my desk currently (I usually have two to four systems up and running when working on projects).

Now for my view of the world... I have never been found of mixing steps: meaning I would run Sky Lake CPUs with 10 Series motherboard and Kaby Lake CPUs with 20 Series motherboards.

Good modding,
neil

thank you very much for your response, i'm gone read that post and try to understand it :)

Study the pin-out information for the motherboard that you are using to find where the standby 5 volts appears on the accessory connector headers. If it just is not there then you can tap into pin 9 of the 24 pin connector. Some people (myself included) have made up short 24 pin extender harnesses to move the pico PSU out of the way of the memory (or what ever) and tap into pin 9 on the extender harness.

Good modding,
neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back