Contribute
Register

A Simple G5 Case Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
to make that pigtail wire how did you do it what wires did you use to what or does it matter. i kinda figured the black would be for the ground but i dont want to blow a new power supply if the pigtail is wrong

Black is NOT for the ground. What I did was use an ohmmeter and connected each wire straight through. The centre connector which is a little lower than the other two is the ground wire and it was green. The other two were black and white. I don't recall which was on the left and which was on the right, but as I said, I used an ohmmeter and measured to ensure that the connector on the left of the power socket wound up connecting on the left of the PSU socket. Same for the right connector.

Hope this is clear.

chaos

I am geting a g5 in some weeks and it has never been moved since it was new, never opened and it is fully functional:thumbup:.
but when i got the money i will make a hackintosh

BTW: i got a broken 13" macbook pro late 2010 for parts like bluetooth, IR-Reciver and wifi ect.

I look forward to your build. Please remember to take lost of pictures and post them in a thread and share with all of us! :D
HTML:

I have just got a G5 case and I am not too confident in chopping it all up straight away so I am thinking of following your guide to get me started :)

I have a few questions, the stand offs that you have used. Did you buy them? if so where from! :D

Secondly, once the stand offs are in place with my current motherboard and it is all working should I change my motherboard could I just go ahead and break the standoffs from the case and realign them to the new motherboard and glue them again?

Or would I my second time round be best off buying new stand offs if possible? or even a motherboard tray?

Thanks

He broke off the existing G5 standoffs and epoxied them back into place, there are standard configurations for hole patterns on ATX and Micro Atx boards so you shouldn't have to move anything when upgrading.

Ah I understand now.
Thank you buddy :)

Thanks, rehpotsirhc.

chaos

Hi,
I have been following your thread the "A Simple G5 Case Mod" and I was just wondering if you could help me.

I am up to the stage where I now need to put in my motherboard and cut my slot for the IO.

Now, I see you mention that you should use the shorter stand offs so I was just wondering if you could point out the ones that are the ones I need to use as the stand offs and also do I should break off all the others?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a different model than I have but I'd say line your board up by installing it with a couple of PCI cards to see if 1 or any of the standoffs line up to your motherboard holes first, but break off the ones with the rounded tops before you do that.

Now, I see you mention that you should use the shorter stand offs so I was just wondering if you could point out the ones that are the ones I need to use as the stand offs and also do I should break off all the others?

Thanks

You have a different model case than any of the ones I have worked with, so I would break off all the standoffs that are in the way of your MB fitting, and then, using a graphics card, install the board and graphics card with some of the standoffs attached to the motherboard that you have removed and see which ones line up best height-wise. The best fitting ones will allow your graphics card to just touch the top bracket as shown in the fourth picture of my first post in this thread.

Hope this helps!

chaos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back