Contribute
Register

A Simple G5 Case Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I found this thread and I'm looking to turn an old G5 into a hackintosh.
Can you update the photos please?
Photo Links updated.
/J

Hi, I am about the attempt my first G5 (early 2015) case mod. Regarding the pigtail you made for the PSU, is it also possible to just buy a cable to connect the PSU to the case? I would just remove the Apple connector and replace it with the appropriate end of the replacement cable. In Europe, I believe this is a C13 to C14 cable. The shortest I have seen seems to be .5 meters. Can anyone confirm?
1595397144929.png

Last edited:
Hi, I am about the attempt my first G5 (early 2015) case mod. Regarding the pigtail you made for the PSU, is it also possible to just buy a cable to connect the PSU to the case? I would just remove the Apple connector and replace it with the appropriate end of the replacement cable. In Europe, I believe this is a C13 to C14 cable. The shortest I have seen seems to be .5 meters. Can anyone confirm?
I decided to solder the old connector like chaosdesigns did. Works fine. :)

OP, you mentioned you used "shorter" standoffs. Are you referring the standoffs that came from the g5 case?

Im hacked up one case to my dismay, so im trying again and i absolutely want the minimal amount of cuts and i cannot sacrifice the placement of the rear exhaust fan.

OP, you mentioned you used "shorter" standoffs. Are you referring the standoffs that came from the g5 case?

Im hacked up one case to my dismay, so im trying again and i absolutely want the minimal amount of cuts and i cannot sacrifice the placement of the rear exhaust fan.
I just completed a mod using the OP's photos and description as a guide. Yes, the shorter standoffs that come with G5 case are the ones to use. I removed them all with a slight twist using a pair of pliers. Then lay them out and you can see which ones are the shorter ones easier. The tricky part is lining up your motherboard with the standoffs in the correct position for the PCI card slots. I put the standoffs in the holes, screwed them in and then lined up the motherboard by drawing some lines around it. Then I put a small piece of modeling clay on the bottom of the standoffs and placed it back again, lined it up and let the modeling clay stick to the case. I used these as my guides to roughen up the case and set the epoxy in the correct position. The OP used an old mATX board but I didn't have one. I have not yet checked to see if a video card fits well, all I had was the old G5 card to use a guide. I am not planning to use a video card yet so if I stay with my current setup then all is fine. :)

As for the minimal cuts, I only cut the backplate out for the mATX ports. I used the original G5 fan holder and replaced the fans with Noctua Redux NF-B9 fans. I also used a low profile Noctua NH-L12S CPU cooler. I used the original PSU power cable connector and soldered it like in the photo. I also bought the BCH G5 front panel cable assembly but I still can't figure out why the power LED only lights when the button is pressed and then goes out when released. I am 100% positive it is on the correct pin for the Gigabyte motherboard (PLED +) and I know the LED works because my G5 was in perfect working condition before I stripped it.

I just completed a mod using the OP's photos and description as a guide. Yes, the shorter standoffs that come with G5 case are the ones to use. I removed them all with a slight twist using a pair of pliers. Then lay them out and you can see which ones are the shorter ones easier. The tricky part is lining up your motherboard with the standoffs in the correct position for the PCI card slots. I put the standoffs in the holes, screwed them in and then lined up the motherboard by drawing some lines around it. Then I put a small piece of modeling clay on the bottom of the standoffs and placed it back again, lined it up and let the modeling clay stick to the case. I used these as my guides to roughen up the case and set the epoxy in the correct position. The OP used an old mATX board but I didn't have one. I have not yet checked to see if a video card fits well, all I had was the old G5 card to use a guide. I am not planning to use a video card yet so if I stay with my current setup then all is fine. :)

As for the minimal cuts, I only cut the backplate out for the mATX ports. I used the original G5 fan holder and replaced the fans with Noctua Redux NF-B9 fans. I also used a low profile Noctua NH-L12S CPU cooler. I used the original PSU power cable connector and soldered it like in the photo. I also bought the BCH G5 front panel cable assembly but I still can't figure out why the power LED only lights when the button is pressed and then goes out when released. I am 100% positive it is on the correct pin for the Gigabyte motherboard (PLED +) and I know the LED works because my G5 was in perfect working condition before I stripped it.
Maybe I dropped some somewhere but I get the suspicion that maybe that model of the G5 came with more standoffs than the late 2005 models I have....I do have that particular model(the one with the bch compatible frontboard) but I haven't stripped it down yet

Am i right to think that its impossible to fit a full I/o plate without moving the fan bracket?

Am i right to think that its impossible to fit a full I/o plate without moving the fan bracket?
I don't think so. I am not using it - I just have the cables going in through the slot I cut out.

What's a tasteful solution for gpu sag. I'm not sure the typical bracket will work, or will it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back