Contribute
Register

A reason for M1 Macs' excessive writing to NVMe SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like there will be an Apple event next month. Maybe we'll see the 24" redesigned iMacs with super fast NVMe drives and more than 8GB of ram in the base model. My question is, will they have the current M1 or something with 12 or more cores in the SoC ?

How about a new 24" iMac in Mint Green or Rose Gold ? Not my cup of tea. Space Gray would be my choice. Add in a 4K mini-LED display and 16 GB of ram and I'm fine with that as my daily driver.

1616506425208.png

My question is, will they have the current M1 or something with 12 or more cores in the SoC ?

I think we will see more cores in the new iMac!. Not sure I like the idea of colored iMacs, silver or space gray is enough, maybe I'm just old!.

Not sure I like the idea of colored iMacs, silver or space gray is enough, maybe I'm just old!.
I think the green, blue and Rose Gold versions are supposed to appeal to teenage girls or something. Or at least people that buy the lower cost iPhones.

I think the green, blue and Rose Gold versions are supposed to appeal to teenage girls or somethingOr at least people that buy the lower cost iPhones.

I would agree with you that, that demographic would love a pink iMac! I don’t agree that a low cost iPhone, ie the SE, which I own both the 1st and 2nd gen, encourages me to buy a pink iMac, IMO!.

I would agree with you that, that demographic would love a pink iMac! I don’t agree that a low cost iPhone, ie the SE, which I own both the 1st and 2nd gen, encourages me to buy a pink iMac, IMO!.
I was thinking more of the 6S or 7 that used to have a Rose Gold version. They weren't the lowest cost iPhones but they didn't cost $1000 + like the current models do.

1616509148642.png

The SATA 2 in the 2009 is a big bottleneck. Even switching to an SSD has limited benefits.
Ah, but did you have to "trick" it into installing Catalina because the OS isn't supported on such a "veteran" machine. Glad it works for you though. :thumbup:

My old iMac 2015 model with an HDD was terrible with Catalina. I had much quicker boot and performance with an SSD in an external USB caddy.

:)

Yeah SATA2 is a bottleneck, crimping the samsung 870 that I used to only half of its max speed, at 250 MB/sec. But! 250 MB/sec is 8.33x faster than the original spinning rust drive's 30 MB/sec.

I just used dosdude's patcher to patch the OS installer, and also enabled the boot arg to force the kernel to skip the CPU compability check so it could boot. Catalina runs much better than High Sierra, which is the last OS officially supported by Apple.

It's my GF's old laptop, she was contemplating buying a new one, but I told her let me breathe some new life into it... save some money. She was running 10.6.8 with only 2GB of RAM... she's happy with it. Back when the Apple logo on the back of the screen still lit up haha. Added a new battery, 8GB of RAM, and a samsung 870...all for around $125. Not bad at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back