1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
  2. Other
Well the title is a slight lie. It would have been quick had I not done only like an hour a day.

But anyway. Quite a simple G3. No DVD drive as of yet. May get one in there. Running hot right now. Need to take another look at this. However, here it is as is.

First I tackled the rear I/O. I cut away the middle support on the rear of the door.
IMG_3789.jpg

IMG_3790.jpg

For those of you who don't know G3s. They differ from the G4s as the rear I/O can come out. The two screws in the top left and right of the below picture are what hold it in. This made it very easy to work with. Anyway, I chopped out a space for the rear I/O plate of a standard atx pc.
IMG_3791.jpg

Also took the rear off the door. As seen in a thread on this forum. Very good idea tviolation.
IMG_3788.jpg

Back together now.
IMG_3792.jpg

IMG_3793.jpg

Unfortunately whilst I was cutting the rear plastic. I snapped it!!! :banghead: Luckily its not very noticeable.
IMG_3807.jpg

So I have to admit I have totally copied spackley in two ways.(I do appologise. But it does just show I liked your ideas? :oops: I tried (yes tried, quite difficult this task) to fill in the wholes left from the removing the old G3 standoffs and also on the rear I/O. And I also went with Ford Moondust Silver. Even more beautiful in person than in the pictures in spackley's thread.
Remember I said quick. Well here's on of the things I did. Forgot to paint the fan cage... Silly me.
IMG_3805.jpg

The idea was case and that fan cage to be Moondust Silver. The rest to be black and the hardware to be original steel/whatever it is. Just plain metal.
IMG_3801.jpg

IMG_3800.jpg

Custom front panel. Power Switch and Power LED. (Reused apple LED from a G4 so it is white not the green/yellow of the G3) Reset switch and HDD activity LED. Hdd activity LED is in the NMI button. It is red. I hadn't seen this done. But yet again the volume and quality of mods on this forum amazed me when I found on that already done this. Sorry but I can't find it anymore. Also need to get myself the small plastic antenna holder from the top of a macbooks dvd drive and glue that to the front of the case so I can remove the antenna with the front panel board.
IMG_3803.jpg

IMG_3811.jpg

And the rear.
IMG_3808.jpg

No need to apologise Gus after all imitation is the sincerest form of flattery they say.
Loving the G3, great work.
Out of interest how hot is it running?

spackley said:
No need to apologise Gus after all imitation is the sincerest form of flattery they say.

Thanks for the compliments guys.

And not sure I should really be telling anyone. It's bad. It was sitting at 50+ closer to 60 degrees!!! :eek:

But it has a crappy intel cooler and one side fan which doesn't even have any inlet holes. So I will be changing this later.

Gus,
I only ask as I've put a QX6700 Extreme Core 2 Quad in my G3 now that I had from a dismantled older machine and that will idle at high 40's verging on the 50's with a Big Shuriken cooler and those C2Q CPU's are notoriously hot. Still well within thermal limits I believe so I don't think it'll be a worry.
I did make the effort to have a go at lapping the CPU and the cooler and I think this has helped a little.

If you've seen this Mac temp database you'll see the temps people are reporting in MacBooks and Mac Mini's and it will make you more cheerful. :)

http://www.intelmactemp.com/list/page15

Personally I always aim more toward getting hot air out of a case than pumping cool air in 'cos no case is airtight and cooler outside air will always find it's way inside if the hot is being pumped out. I only put that 120mm fan at the bottom of my G3 to blow air on the graphics cooler. At least that method has always worked quite well for me.

Gus said:
spackley said:

Thanks for the compliments guys.

And not sure I should really be telling anyone. It's bad. It was sitting at 50+ closer to 60 degrees!!! :eek:

But it has a crappy intel cooler and one side fan which doesn't even have any inlet holes. So I will be changing this later.

You may want to look at some of the other Powermac G3 and G4 case mods where they have added a blow hole in the top of the case to allow the hot air to exit the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back