Contribute
Register

A Skylake Cube

Status
Not open for further replies.
image.jpeg

Neil, re the dc jack power plug spec of Asus H110S1, i called up Asus HK and they gave me this diagram. It says 0.8mm, 7.5mm. Is it consistent with the power brick you got?

He also gave me this photo -

image.png

It is very confusing and time consuming for us to figure it out as Asus does not bundle a power brick. While my AsRock deskmini has a 120W brick bundled. It saves a lot of time....

View attachment 208775

Neil, re the dc jack power plug spec of Asus H110S1, i called up Asus HK and they gave me this diagram. It says 0.8mm, 7.5mm. Is it consistent with the power brick you got?

He also gave me this photo -

View attachment 208776

It is very confusing and time consuming for us to figure it out as Asus does not bundle a power brick. While my AsRock deskmini has a 120W brick bundled. It saves a lot of time....

Well I hate to criticize ASUS, however their documentation on this board, the H110S1-STX, is totally unacceptable and it is not much better on the H110T.

Anyway the DC Power Entry board connectors for the STX board is shown here on the top and the Thin ITX just below:

conn.jpg

and the power brick connectors in the same order, STX on top:

plugs.jpg

When I found that there was a new connector in play, I had to sort through my salvage inventory to find a connector that would mate with the H110S1 board. The unit that I had was a 40W, 16VDC unit and I found that the board would boot and run on that external PSU... but I identified the Oneda AAS12019632A Laptop Adapter on Amazon and went with that.

Good modding,
neil

Neil, you are totally correct and ASUS should pay you for this! I called the distributor again and he gave me this reply -

Dear mopidicks,

ASUS provided wrong info to us yesterday and just update us the correct dimension of the DC jack is 5.5mm x 2.5mm

I am very sorry about it.

Tks.

Tony

I tried a whole bunch of PCIE riser cards and none of them would work during games using the PicoPSU. if I attached a regular ATX power supply it would work; I tried several PicoPSUs and DC adapters with no luck.

I tried a whole bunch of PCIE riser cards and none of them would work during games using the PicoPSU. if I attached a regular ATX power supply it would work; I tried several PicoPSUs and DC adapters with no luck.

Riser Cables or Riser Cards? We need to keep the terms straight.

I have not had any success with Riser Cables as they appear to work then cause some problem or another.

This is not the case with Riser Cards... I have had great success with these:
16xRiser.jpg

I used that card in this build:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/n...m-2-xp941-booting-os-x-via-clover-xw1.156685/

And then on the ASRock M8 project (that can be found in my completed project listing) the GPU is on a riser card.

Not much help for a cube build.

Good modding,
neil

its not long enough for the cube

My point is to not use the term "riser card" when referring to a "riser cable".

Good modding,
neil

more on my cube project:

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

A3.jpg

A4.jpg

A5.jpg

A6.jpg

A7.jpg

A8.jpg

A9.jpg

The major mechanical work is complete. The optical drive works, the hard drive works and has two partitions (the first is a clone of the system drive and is bootable). Also the USB Type C port works with the Type C accessories that I purchased to use with my 12" MB.

I plan to add LEDs, switches, audio jack and maybe a USB Type C port via extension cable to the top panel. The bottom panel needs an audio jack added.

I intend to bring up the Apple touch sensor and as shown, I have the Apple power and reset switches on the bottom panel. The problem here is one of sorting out the cabling. The ASUS documentation does not even reflect the front panel header pin out.

But if was easy it would not be that much fun.

Good modding,
neil

Nice work you've done Neil :thumbup:. I was thinking of doing this project but the cube is expensive here in the UK and Ireland.

Jack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back