Contribute
Register

<< Solved >> A plea for Hackintosh - Big Sur help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate the advice. This is what I worked on last night and a little bit this morning. You guys were right, it does work a lot better. I have attached my personally compiled config.plist file. Audio and ethernet issues resolved, and seems to boot a lot quicker. Let me know if you have any further advice. So far so good. Just have to figure out how to get the dual boot working with windows 10. Thanks to everyone!
Sounds like you’re off to a good start.
The hackintosh should work out well for you. Mine have been flawless for my profession (Construction Management).

I personally, refuse to use windows for work. My boss offers to buy me a new laptop every few months but it would be a windows 10 model. I tell him I can and do so much more with my hackintosh that it’s not necessary. In fact, it would just slow me down. I can and do occasionally use Windows, but I just Like it.

Get a USB to SATA adapter or cable and a spare satadrive to backup your system. It is always handy to have a spare drive to replace “IF” something goes wrong. The great thing about the adapter (cable) is you can most likely retrieve any important files from your original or main drive disk. A USB memory stick is also handy to save your work to

Good luck with the finishing of the build, and using it for your schooling.

Just have to figure out how to get the dual boot working with windows 10. Thanks to everyone!
Usually you dont have to do anything to dual boot Windows. What's the issue?

Do you see Windows under opencore when you boot?

Are you using a separate hard drive for Windows or a separate partition?

One EFI partition?

Sounds like you’re off to a good start.
The hackintosh should work out well for you. Mine have been flawless for my profession (Construction Management).

I personally, refuse to use windows for work. My boss offers to buy me a new laptop every few months but it would be a windows 10 model. I tell him I can and do so much more with my hackintosh that it’s not necessary. In fact, it would just slow me down. I can and do occasionally use Windows, but I just Like it.

Get a USB to SATA adapter or cable and a spare satadrive to backup your system. It is always handy to have a spare drive to replace “IF” something goes wrong. The great thing about the adapter (cable) is you can most likely retrieve any important files from your original or main drive disk. A USB memory stick is also handy to save your work to

Good luck with the finishing of the build, and using it for your schooling.
Thanks! I appreciate it. I have a 2TB WD easystore that I partitioned for my laptop, hackintosh, and windows side doing backups, plus an internal 2TB SATA SSD storage drive. I used it in school today for the first time and it's a whole new world compared to my 2015 macbook pro. I often have zoom, dual monitors, and multiple applications open at the same time. This hackintosh handled it all like a champ.

Usually you dont have to do anything to dual boot Windows. What's the issue?

Do you see Windows under opencore when you boot?

Are you using a separate hard drive for Windows or a separate partition?

One EFI partition?
As it stands now, even when I set up the UEFI Other OS and set to boot from the Mac drive, Windows 10 still boots first if I don't hit F12. I would like it to boot to a custom boot menu so I don't have to play the F12 game every single time. It'll work for now but I'll look into it more.

Good work ! The .plist looks a lot better. One tip though, when you post it here for review remove your SMUUID and serial numbers first if those are the ones you'll use longer term. Also you need to look up your Ethernet MAC address and enter that where it says ROM. Don't enter the Colons : though. It will look something like this 70:e5:49:b4:56:5c

View attachment 515777

You find the MAC address by going to System Preferences -> Network -> Advanced and then the Hardware tab.
I did as you advised with the MAC address and I also changed my SMUUID and serial numbers just in case. Thanks.

As it stands now, even when I set up the UEFI Other OS and set to boot from the Mac drive, Windows 10 still boots first if I don't hit F12. I would like it to boot to a custom boot menu so I don't have to play the F12 game every single time. It'll work for now but I'll look into it more.

Read this to get a better understanding about multiboot:

In your BIOS. The default boot device should be OpenCore.
Once Opencore boots. You should see your Windows OS and MacOS as options.

If you do not. Then something else is missing/working.

Read this to get a better understanding about multiboot:

In your BIOS. The default boot device should be OpenCore.
Once Opencore boots. You should see your Windows OS and MacOS as options.

If you do not. Then something else is missing/working.
I was able to get it to boot to "OpenCore." The problem is that when I try to go to Windows, my monitors shut off as if there is no video output. If I reboot a couple times after trying to boot to Windows, then it will go to the Windows RE blue screen when trying to boot to Windows. However, if I click Continue to Windows 10, my monitors will go into idle again. I'm trying to go through the multiboot guide but I'm not sure what went wrong.

Last edited:
Good work ! The .plist looks a lot better. One tip though, when you post it here for review remove your SMUUID and serial numbers first if those are the ones you'll use longer term. Also you need to look up your Ethernet MAC address and enter that where it says ROM. Don't enter the Colons : though. It will look something like this 70:e5:49:b4:56:5c

View attachment 515777

You find the MAC address by going to System Preferences -> Network -> Advanced and then the Hardware tab.
Do I need the MAC address of the ethernet card if I'm not using the ethernet? I tried using the MAC address of the ethernet card and I started having issues with iMessage. Then I tried using the MAC address of the wifi card and it still happened. Now I tried putting it back to the old one <11223344 5566> and it also is happening. It looks like messages send but the other person never gets them. Bizarre. Might wipe and just re-download everything instead of using time machine backup.

I tried using the MAC address of the ethernet card and I started having issues with iMessage. Then I tried using the MAC address of the wifi card and it still happened.
You should sign out of iMessage, iCloud and your Apple account completely before you change anything in PlatformInfo -> Generic section of your config.plist. After you change the numbers, reboot, clear NVRAM and then you can sign back in to your Apple account with your AppleID once you reach the desktop.

See this for all the specifics about iMessage and setting it up correctly.

Do I need the MAC address of the ethernet card if I'm not using the ethernet?
Yes, use the MAC address of your hard wired ethernet. The key point is that it is unique to your system which the ethernet MAC should be. No other computer in the world will be using the exact same MAC address.

We used to be able to "get away" with using only zeros but that changed in early 2020.

This is a post from the iDiots Guide to iMessage:
I mean the evidence is pretty obvious, people were using bad roms, a lot of them using all 0s or other reused or badly inputed roms, with zero issues, until last month. Last month, apple finally started enforcing the rom to be unique.

Prior to that, it seemed to only matter to have good board ID, hardware uuid, system uuid, and serial. the rom just didn't matter (other than making sure it persisted, so the nvram hash didn't change).

Now the rom matters too.. Simple as that. But as I said, it's not apple's fault that users had bad roms, it's users. However, any change to security that increases enforcement on apples end still involves apple. Cause, and a effect. A change was made, it affected users, users adjusted, problem solved.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back