A noob gets the P67A-UD4-B3 to work

Discussion in 'Snow Leopard Desktop Support' started by bobgates, Aug 7, 2011.

1. bobgates

bobgates

Aug 7, 2011 at 4:51 PM #1
    bobgates

bobgates

First, my thanks for this great site and excellent software.

I've had success getting a Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 to run, with a Gigabyte HD6870 graphics card, and a core i7 2600, and I learnt a few things on the way:

- When the instructions say "retail version" of Snow Leopard, they mean it. The install disk for a mac mini isn't going to cut it.

- Fiddling with the BIOS was mostly a mistake. I managed to get my motherboard into a continuous cycle of rebooting by getting something wrong in the power management. Later, when I had a working version, I tried to get things to speed up by changing settings, like the turbo mode on the RAM, and enabling advanced CPU settings instead of leaving them as Auto. All these resulted in slower benchmarks. The optimal settings of the bios, with the changes specified here, such as AHCI, worked.

- Get everything you need before you start. My download of the combo update to SL 10.6.8 was corrupt, which I didn't know until I tried to use it. While firefox went off to get another copy, I tried to follow the instructions without the update. That wasted a few hours, on top of the hours wasted getting hold of the retail version of SL locally - a challenge as they're in demand as all the Leopard users want to go to Lion.

- Try rebooting. I had problems with the DVD player not working (not crashing, but saying it couldn't find a playback device), and with not being able to set the desktop picture on one of my two monitors, both of which went away after a reboot.

- Read a lot. Probably everything you need is out there on the site or the internet. I found this page by Gordo74 the most useful, after the basic tutorials: http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=168&t=26911 It convinced me to keep everything as basic as possible and to install as little as possible.

In the end, it all ran beautifully out of the box using the latest Multibeast, the DSDT from this site and an appropriate bios upgrade. This is the first time I've built a computer from components, and the whole process was less painful than I was expecting, although Tony's advice to be patient is important. It's taken two days, though much of that was waiting for downloads.

Benchmarks:
    Cinebench OpenGL: 42
    Cinebench CPU: 6.7
    Geekbench: 11800
    XBench: 290

but most importantly, my frame rate in X-plane has gone up from 20 fps on a 2 GHz mac mini at lowest possible settings to 100 fps at INSANE detail levels. It's gone from a game to a simulation, and is now thing of beauty. Objective achieved - thanks Tony.

Now to decide whether to mess with Lion.

Update: Lion install went well: needed AppleHDA rollback, and network card re-enabled using Multibeast, but otherwise that was it.

Cinebench OpenGL went up from 42 to 49! Other benchmarks stayed as is.