Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I just finished my build and configuration of my first Hackintosh and first MAC OS running Mountain Lion.
I've been a Windows user forever but got tired of the constant peer pressure in the music community to use a MAC...but also find Apple prices unacceptable so Hackintosh was the perfect compromise.
I am a full time Mixer/Producer/Songwriter and need a machine I can rely on so here is my little setup:

I got a Fractal Define R4 Silent ATX Case, Corsair AX750 power supply, 16 gig Corsair Vengance Memory, Intel i7-3770K, Corsair H80i CPU cooler, Zotac Fanless GT640 graphic card, Gigabyte GA-Z77-UP5-TH motherboard, 1 OWC 240 SSD and 2 Seagate 1 TB SSD Hybrid drives.

The build was flawless and the Tonymac site made it all simple.
I did have to do a dual boot setup in order to tune the cpu fan and the bios, overclocked to a mid level at 4.4 ghz and all runs solid. CPU temps have not gone up more than 60 Celsius but are usually around 50

I have a SSL MadiXtreme sound card, 2 UAD2 Quad Cards, Nuendo 6, Wavelab 8 and am installing Protools 10 this evening.

My geekbench 64bit results are 16662 at 4.4 ghz, this thing flies!
I'm going to overclock a bit more aggressive this weekend but I need to make sure to allow for the fan to stay silent enough which is perfect at the 4.4 ghz right now.

As a test I recorded 200 tracks simultaneously in Nuendo 6 last night with a buffer setting of 32 and 96khz.
The N6 cpu showed 50%, there was no noticeable latency while recording and the hard drive performance was a 0%!!!

In other words this machine rocks and I couldn't be happier. Excited to see how Protools will scale but expect similar results.

Thought I share this and wanted to say thanks to the TonyMac community.

Thomas

Your build sounds like it will continue to be rock-solid and a "screaming fast" machine for PT10. Been using mine now for quite a few months & couldn't be happier! (See link in my sig if youre curious).

I'm about to pull the trigger on my PT11 upgrade. Will keep everyone posted on that once I get things installed & sorted out.

ENJOY!! :headbang:

Hi,
How does the MADIXTREME perform with PT10 ?
What's the latency like and how many tracks can you run in average?
Are you using it with Mountain Lion?
I was thinking about getting a MADIXTREME + ORION 32 with the same machine.

Thanks for you reply.

Matteo

Congrats on your build! I'm curious about the MadiXtreme too. Did you have to do any additional fixes or does it work OOB with SSL's drivers/updates. Also I assume your running ML 10.8.4. Thanks man

Hi thomas,

i have the same Audio system from SSL. What ist the last running OS that works flawlessly? I m still on 10.7.5. but want Logic X soon.
WOuld be glad if you could answer this as SSL discontinued driver support long ago.

Cheers Alex

hi, is overclocking worth it ? how much to expect ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back