EVGA GTX 660Ti 2GB
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm about to create a customac and would like your suggestions on which GPU to install.
I will be using the system for fairly intensive video workflow/transcoding.

My system as it stands at the moment:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-x58A-UD7
CPU: Intel i7 920
RAM: Corsair Dominator GT 12GB
HDD: Crucial M4 SSD's
PSU: Corsair 1000w
GPU: ???
Case: Cooler Master Cosmos

I currently have an old nVidia GeForce 7950 GX2, but I'm pretty sure that won't work for this setup. So if you could point me in the direction of a good graphics card that would/should be compatible that would be ace.

Thanks!

I'm about to create a customac and would like your suggestions on which GPU to install.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-x58-UD7

I currently have an only nVidia GeForce 7950 GX2, but I'm pretty sure that won't work for this setup. So if you could point me in the direction of a good graphics card that would/should be compatible that would be ace.

Thanks!

Yes, the 7XXX cards do not work in OSX. I suspect you may not even be able to have it installed but unused. However I can't recall seeing anyone who's tried. You might want to check the graphics card subforum.

Well the GPU you want depends on the software you'll be using. It varies from program to program and sometimes even specific operations. I would suggest checking out the support forums for the software you will use.

If it's Adobe software, most of their stuff only supports CUDA (but again check specifically), which is nVidia's technology for GPU acceleration. The best card overall (if that's the case) is probably a 580/570. The 6XX cards suck at double precision math (which is mostly 3D stuff), but work about as well, though not much better than a 5XX card at single precision math.

I take it this is mostly hardware you already have? As there is no good reason to get a x58 board vs a z77 or possibly even a x79.

The now old ATI 5850 cards simply work with no effort. The ATI 6XXX also work with no effort. The new Nvidiaf Kepler gpus also work with Mountain Lion, though I don't personally have one of those so I am simply repeating the recommendations at customac.com. Kepler is what is in the high end MacBooks so is supported natively.

I currently have an only nVidia GeForce 7950 GX2, but I'm pretty sure that won't work for this setup. So if you could point me in the direction of a good graphics card that would/should be compatible that would be ace.

Thanks!
You are fairly close to the build in by sig (assuming you mean the GA-X58A-UD7- the sig is a link to it in user builds.
The HD5770 I am using works well, but a HD6770 or 6870 would probably be a good upgrade in a new system. Besides, the HD5770 is near impossible to find anymore because it is so far out of date..

Thanks!

If you are going to use Mountain Lion, then the new Nvidia GTX660 Ti / GTX670 should be a good choice for you.

I would occasionally use Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 on this rig, which would take advantage of an nVidia card over and ATI.

I will be installing Mountain Lion from my iMac so that should be ok for the newer 6xx series cards?

And yep, looks like I made an error when typing the motherboard model... It is definitely the Gigabyte GA-x58A-UD7 - Going Bald I will check out your link to see how you got on with this board and the hack :)

I would occasionally use Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 on this rig, which would take advantage of an nVidia card over and ATI.

I will be installing Mountain Lion from my iMac so that should be ok for the newer 6xx series cards?

And yep, looks like I made an error when typing the motherboard model... It is definitely the Gigabyte GA-x58A-UD7 - Going Bald I will check out your link to see how you got on with this board and the hack :)

I've made some mods since then (original SL install). Had to replace the 5770 with a gt120 to get SL to run, then put the 5770 back in when updated to 10.6.7, then updated to Lion and now to ML. Added some no-caddy hot swap trays in the 5.25 bays and now I don't multi-boot anymore and have room for more storage HDDs since I only have 1 OS HDD in a swap bay running at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back