Contribute
Register

A MAC / PC / Linux Hybrid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I have a mac mini have been using it for sometime, now I upgraded it to two SSD / much more ram. But... Its still not giving me the performance that I need. I also work on a variety of platforms (development) and prefer native environments.

So an idea struck me to create a tower which has mac / pc / linux each running on their native environment. I opened the mac mini and it is pretty easy to handle. However I am not able to find a chasis that can be used with it.

Does anyone have any idea on the chasis I can use ?

Thank you for reading this :)

Not clear what you are asking for. A new system that can run all 3 OS ? Just a new case to put your Mac Mini hardware into ? None of the above ?

Not clear what you are asking for. A new system that can run all 3 OS ? Just a new case to put your Mac Mini hardware into ? None of the above ?

A new case to put my mac mini hardware into and accommodate another motherboard / CPU where i can install my linux / windows system.

Last edited:
Why would you want to do that instead of just building a new CustoMac that can run all three from one motherboard and a few different drives ? No cases that I know of that would have mounts for a Mac Mini board and a mATX or ATX board. I would simply make a new PC with components chosen from the Buyer's Guide for running Linux and Win10 for now. When your Mini eventually becomes too slow or fails altogether then you can put macOS on it's own separate drive inside your PC and triple boot. That Mac Mini motherboard needs to stay in the case that it came with. Won't work inside a PC case.

See:

Buyer's Guide.jpg

Last edited:
I've tried hackintosh setups. Was not impressed, particularly because of the restrictions and software bugs I ran into.

Mac mini is slow but I just use it for recording and casual work and it's great. I plan to use the the windows Linux environment for my research that requires a lot of processing and instead of going with two machines. I thought it would be a fun project to put them both in one.
Also, windows tend to have a lot of security loopholes, so I prefer my environment to we mac and then rdp to windows.

So overall I want to put all the components of Mac into another chassis and use windows / Linux on demand - thus I would keep the power for the of them separate.

I know it sounds crazy but I would like to try the idea.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back